How do you guys get the money to afford multiple hair transplants?

I can afford one transplant for sure since im single with no kids or responsiblity but the thought of affording multiple transplants just turns me off from the process. How do you guys do it? I'm trying to increase my income but thats a long and tough process. 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

Work! During Covid I was (fortunately) working nearly everyday. Literally! Melbourne was the most locked down city in the world during Covid and I had a day off roughly once every 11-12 days. Not everyone can do this with a family, etc. It was the money from this that paid for my surgery six months ago. Prior to that I have always worked a second job. I guess if you want something bad enough you will find a way. Having said that, your point is a real issue @SaltyCaptain592. Not everyone can afford multiple surgeries, life long medications, hair fibres, shampoos, etc, etc. I've gone from shaving my head in less than one minute a day to now spending money on shampoo, meds, hair cuts and hair coloring, etc, etc. This stuff costs money (and takes time) and I am currently saving up for a second procedure with Dr Pradeep for next year sometime. Having a hair transplant (even if it's successful) is often not the right answer. As I have said previously, if I didn't have the scars in my donor and along my hairline, I wouldn't have had a hair transplant. All the best!

• Like 1

I'm a software engineer and really great at passing rigorous software engineering interview processes lol. So I'm lucky I'm naturally talented in this regard.

But also, I'm not paying all that much rent so I got very few expenses. No car either cause I live in the city and realized that a combination of public transit and uber (as necessary) is much cheaper than a car. Also, I'm a healthy 30 year old who works out like 5 days a week so no medical bills except contacts for my terrible eyesight.

Also, I'm somewhat cheap (not so much as before... goddamn lifestyle creep lol) so tend to save more money that way. Now I value my time a lot more which is why I won't spend an hour trying to save 5 bucks on an air fryer anymore.

I guess I also have minimal wants in life as well... I'm not really trying to get the newest iPhone or whatever. I'd legitimately be happy with like 11 milk crates for a bed frame or a couple cinderblocks for a nightstand.  Sadly my girlfriend gets upset at me for even joking about it 

Credit cards are also fun to churn so that can be an additional bit of income. Or even if not churning, a cash back credit card/points credit card is just free money. I literally have my CC hooked up to my bank account and I don't even forget my bill payments - AMEX just does it for me. It's like a debit card with points. 

And as always, invest your money (. Renting isn't always better than buying (do some research on the topic), opportunity costs are a thing (and sometimes taking the time to invest in yourself pays back more than it costs you to blow your money on X convenience).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Work! During Covid I was (fortunately) working nearly everyday. Literally! Melbourne was the most locked down city in the world during Covid and I had a day off roughly once every 11-12 days. Not everyone can do this with a family, etc. It was the money from this that paid for my surgery six months ago. Prior to that I have always worked a second job. I guess if you want something bad enough you will find a way. Having said that, your point is a real issue @SaltyCaptain592. Not everyone can afford multiple surgeries, life long medications, hair fibres, shampoos, etc, etc. I've gone from shaving my head in less than one minute a day to now spending money on shampoo, meds, hair cuts and hair coloring, etc, etc. This stuff costs money (and takes time) and I am currently saving up for a second procedure with Dr Pradeep for next year sometime. Having a hair transplant (even if it's successful) is often not the right answer. As I have said previously, if I didn't have the scars in my donor and along my hairline, I wouldn't have had a hair transplant. All the best!

Wow. You still have donor in the tank? Where are they taking it from this time Gatsby 

• Thanks 1

We go to Turkey man :D 

This way, three procedures end up costing as much as one US or elite-EU :D

But in all seriousness, each of us, within their budget, find ways to make this work. Maybe you save your bonuses from work for a couple of years -if you've got a job that pays out bonuses. If you really want it, you find a way to make it happen. Keep in mind that multiple procedures usually also occur within the span of a decade, so money accumulates.

Finally, yes, it's a grade-A personal luxury expense. If you are worrying about bills, you are not yet in full on mid-life crisis territory like the majority of the site :D

• Like 1

stonks and my job. I make a cute penny so I just invest that to make more. When my investments hit that 365 long term year I sell it for profit (if applicable) or if the gains are just too crazy to not sell (for me it was GME, TSLA, and AMC) thats how I paid for my recently HT and probably a future one.

• Thanks 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

On 8/1/2022 at 3:17 AM, deeznuts said:

I'm a software engineer and really great at passing rigorous software engineering interview processes lol. So I'm lucky I'm naturally talented in this regard.

But also, I'm not paying all that much rent so I got very few expenses. No car either cause I live in the city and realized that a combination of public transit and uber (as necessary) is much cheaper than a car. Also, I'm a healthy 30 year old who works out like 5 days a week so no medical bills except contacts for my terrible eyesight.

Also, I'm somewhat cheap (not so much as before... goddamn lifestyle creep lol) so tend to save more money that way. Now I value my time a lot more which is why I won't spend an hour trying to save 5 bucks on an air fryer anymore.

I guess I also have minimal wants in life as well... I'm not really trying to get the newest iPhone or whatever. I'd legitimately be happy with like 11 milk crates for a bed frame or a couple cinderblocks for a nightstand.  Sadly my girlfriend gets upset at me for even joking about it 

Credit cards are also fun to churn so that can be an additional bit of income. Or even if not churning, a cash back credit card/points credit card is just free money. I literally have my CC hooked up to my bank account and I don't even forget my bill payments - AMEX just does it for me. It's like a debit card with points. 

And as always, invest your money (. Renting isn't always better than buying (do some research on the topic), opportunity costs are a thing (and sometimes taking the time to invest in yourself pays back more than it costs you to blow your money on X convenience).

Love this.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 12:07 AM, Dillpickle123 said:

Carecredit and pay it off like a car basically lol

I tried this…several problems…1) It seems CareCredit is only taken domestically in the USA and not for foreign transactions. 2) I applied for and was denied CareCredit despite having a pretty good income, no housing payments, and responsible use of standard credit cards. It seems unless you’re one of a lucky few who have work done at home and are approved for it, CareCredit sucks. I now have a HT scheduled and I’m just using regular credit card to make the initial payment, with a plan in place to pay it back just like a car loan. 

Edited by general-etwan

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, general-etwan said:

It’s a luxury procedure really. Save up for many years by cutting costs elsewhere in life, or just work in a position in which you make a load of money. 

It is a luxury procedure. Spot on. Look at people all over the world who will never even think of this as an option due to poverty, etc.

• Like 1

Salty,

Truth be told, hairtransplant Surgery is not for everyone. We live in a world where costs are high and salaries are low.  Sadly, not everybody can afford a hair transplant. And those that can, often need to save money multiple times in order to have enough to undergo more than one procedure which is often required. Hair restoration is a long-term process for some and not just about assume procedure. As a result, this takes careful planning, a considerate amount of research, time and enough money.

that said however, and I haven’t use this analogy for a while but consider it this way: The average American buys a brand new car every 5 to 7 years. A new car cost anywhere from $20,000-$40,000 on average, probably higher at this point.  Well not everybody can afford this, it’s pretty typical that people buy cars more than they should simply because they want something new and they can somehow afford it through loans or other means.  

now consider if you’re the average American, instead of buying a new car once every five years, why not keep your existing car for 10 years, save $20000 to $40000 on a car and use it to restore your hair. After all, hair transplant surgeries and lifelong investment in not only your appearance but your self-confidence.  personally, I would much rather forgo the new car for five years and have a new head of hair that provides me with a more youthful appearance and self-confidence than that new shiny thing that will be dirty and lose value only a few days after you drive off the lot.

I don’t know if that analogy helps you at all, I don’t know your personal financial situation. But there are all kinds of ways to pay for a hair transplant including financing.  In my opinion, speak to a reputable surgeon you’ve decided on after plenty of research about a long-term hair restoration plan which includes how to pay for it.  then make decision whether or not it’s something that you can afford and commit to and then go from there. Even if it means taking a little longer to undergo all the procedures you need because you have to save money, that’s fine. After all, it’s better to save the necessary money to get it done right then go to a cheaper surgeon just because they offer a less expensive hair transplant.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I do believe however that anyone who wants to have a HT should be able to have it done and credit companies/banks/clinics should be willing to work with patients who demonstrate struggle to pay all outright. Especially considering hair loss can essentially cause significant mental health difficulties on people’s lives…it almost is a form of necessary medical care. I really do believe that and I do believe in most cases even if you don’t earn much $ you can figure out how to finance one somehow. 

Edited by general-etwan

By not buying clothes and shoes that I don't need, by not going to restaurants and cooking from home instead and putting aside a percentage of the monthly salary every month.  Sacrifice and patience pays for a hair transplant..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Salty,

Truth be told, hairtransplant Surgery is not for everyone. We live in a world where costs are high and salaries are low.  Sadly, not everybody can afford a hair transplant. And those that can, often need to save money multiple times in order to have enough to undergo more than one procedure which is often required. Hair restoration is a long-term process for some and not just about assume procedure. As a result, this takes careful planning, a considerate amount of research, time and enough money.

that said however, and I haven’t use this analogy for a while but consider it this way: The average American buys a brand new car every 5 to 7 years. A new car cost anywhere from $20,000-$40,000 on average, probably higher at this point.  Well not everybody can afford this, it’s pretty typical that people buy cars more than they should simply because they want something new and they can somehow afford it through loans or other means.  

now consider if you’re the average American, instead of buying a new car once every five years, why not keep your existing car for 10 years, save $20000 to $40000 on a car and use it to restore your hair. After all, hair transplant surgeries and lifelong investment in not only your appearance but your self-confidence.  personally, I would much rather forgo the new car for five years and have a new head of hair that provides me with a more youthful appearance and self-confidence than that new shiny thing that will be dirty and lose value only a few days after you drive off the lot.

I don’t know if that analogy helps you at all, I don’t know your personal financial situation. But there are all kinds of ways to pay for a hair transplant including financing.  In my opinion, speak to a reputable surgeon you’ve decided on after plenty of research about a long-term hair restoration plan which includes how to pay for it.  then make decision whether or not it’s something that you can afford and commit to and then go from there. Even if it means taking a little longer to undergo all the procedures you need because you have to save money, that’s fine. After all, it’s better to save the necessary money to get it done right then go to a cheaper surgeon just because they offer a less expensive hair transplant.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Yeah definitely agree with the car thing.

Cars are probably the biggest money sink you can own. If you can afford to not own a car, you are going to free up hundreds a month in repair fees, monthly payments, insurance and gas.

Obviously not doable for everyone since many people do need it for their jobs but if you can figure out a way to live without a car (i.e. living in a major city like Toronto or NY), you're gonna see a lot of extra money in your pocket. When I sold my car, I found I had a ton more money without having done a single thing. And if you need, you could always put some money back into living in a better location in which case you can lower the commute time despite not owning a car. 

Also, grocery delivery is a blessing lol. Yeah it costs like 5 or 10 bucks up front, but you save two hours of your life and you don't have to own a car which means you come out way ahead

• Like 1

This thread unfortunately exemplifies why the average Joe mentally justifies going to a hair mill. 

They are dealing with a depressing enough situation losing hair and confidence in an ever increasingly superficial social media age to look good and then are priced out of the quality surgeons and their options to turn to hair mills and play Russian Roulette with techs hoping they don't get the worst result and it looks better than they started with even if the hairline has more multi grafts and a bit more of a pluggy look. 

Personally i still think saving up a little smart and planning can get you a better place than a hair mill, but some people are going to be in between a rock and hard place based on dwindling economic opportunities. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 12:07 AM, Dillpickle123 said:

Carecredit and pay it off like a car basically lol

This, you pay it off in installments spread over a few years. I don't think anybody pays for the whole cost up front. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella