Hair Transplant Falling Apart

Hi guys,

I had 2,040 FUE grafts transplanted at Dr Saifi's in December 2020. Initially I was delighted with the results. But lately it seems like my transplant might be falling apart. The hairline at the left hand side has gone quite thin and sparse as you can see in the picture. It feels less dense and less strong than it did a few months ago. In the last 2 months or so it seems to have been faltering. Is this normal? What can I do about it if anything at all? I know a touch up is common but I am almost sure the transplanted hairs have been thinking and falling out, and it worries me. The transplanted areas look weak when scrutinised under certain conditions. It worries me.

20220712_180502.jpg

OP, without pictures before your first procedure, it's hard to say whether the area you had transplanted into was all hair newly placed or alongside existing hair. 

You also didn't mention you were on any medication like Finasteride etc. so there's a few possibilities. 

One is that you had a transplant done among your native hair, so it looked more dense and since then, your native hair started to lose ground and the transplants hair was what was left making it now look the way it does rather than the transplanted hair becoming thin etc. 

The 2nd possibility is above that your transplanted hair have thinned as they were possibly more susceptible to DHT. It's not common, but is a possibility as an unlikely situation. 

I think given you didn't notice and mention the same thing about your right side, it would be interesting to know whether there's more hair that were transplanted there abd that's why it still looks thicker. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Rossybop

Glad to see you back, but not under these circumstances. Are you on finasteride or any other type of medication? It could be that your non-transplanted hair is thinning. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Guys I use fin and Regaine. I don't think its much of the native hair that's fallen out, genuinely seems to be the transplanted regions that are affected, with the worst affected area being on the left side.

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Guys I use fin and Regaine. I don't think its much of the native hair that's fallen out, genuinely seems to be the transplanted regions that are affected, with the worst affected area being on the left side.

If you're still on Finasteride and Minoxodil, it's pretty difficult to understand why specifically the transplanted hair would fall out. 

It would be unlucky but not completely impossible. 

• Like 1

So how was your experience with Dr. Saifi ? 

I think he was a bit hyped by his patient coordinator Killian aka "The Hair Chemist". 

There were some good results but also some questionable results from him on this forum. 

36 minutes ago, BaldBobby said:

could be temporary hair loss....any sickness or major life stress event lately?  

I've had some stress with work and stuff but I'd be surprised if that has been the cause, I'd be pleasantly surprised if this is a case of temporary hair loss.

34 minutes ago, Ali took over said:

I think he was a bit hyped by his patient coordinator Killian aka "The Hair Chemist". 

There were some good results but also some questionable results from him on this forum. 

He seemed good and thorough in his duties. Took a lot of time and detail in doing my transplant. I didn't like the way he's pushing CR Labs though, but I won't hold that against his hair transplant skills.

• Like 1

Just now, Rossybop said:

He seemed good and thorough in his duties. Took a lot of time and detail in doing my transplant. I didn't like the way he's pushing CR Labs though, but I won't hold that against his hair transplant skills.

The Hair Chemist guy is a bit cringey, very clearly a sales rep for Dr Saifi, but again I won't hold that against his surgical experience.

1 hour ago, Ali took over said:

Edited by davidn
I was mean

I had a similar experience, mine got thin and sparse 4 years after surgery. I was over the moon 12 months post surgery but it slowly thinned and now looks horrible. I am going for my 2nd HT in a couple of weeks. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, ahmed9500 said:

I had a similar experience, mine got thin and sparse 4 years after surgery. I was over the moon 12 months post surgery but it slowly thinned and now looks horrible. I am going for my 2nd HT in a couple of weeks. 

Mind post before and after pics to show the thinning?> 

I looked at your earlier pictures, it is difficult to say because of how your hair is styled.

I think you are close to where you were back in January/February, but only you yourself know for sure.

Is there a chance you can visit your surgeon and have him inspect your hair?

4 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Mind post before and after pics to show the thinning?> 

Hi, I dont want to Hijack this thread, please have a look at my thread you will see all pics. I am posting on there later so keep an eye out. But i totally relate to the OP with somehow losing/thinning transplanted grafts

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Rossybop

Its hard to say without comparison photos. Ultimately, it could be a seasonal shed, or even that your hair is greasier making it look thinner. If you can post similar pictures with your hair parted this way, we could compare apples to apples. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I also remember your thread very well, you were very happy with your transplant, even if you always posted photos that were never judged well since you always kept your hair combed in front (I also told you, if I remember correctly) .  However, in these cases, I always recommend a visit to the scalp, in your case we can not speak of poor regrowth or error of the surgeon in my opinion.

• Like 1

@Rossybop I had always considered you to be one of the happy-ever-after success cases on here.

Coming to the forum, asking questions, going to a good doctor, getting a good surgery, and most importantly, leaving the forum and moving on with your life 🤣

Sorry to hear you are back. 

Really no clue what happened, but if your MPB really advanced quickly in the last yr and the hair was taken from a non-safe area, that could account for it as @civic said.

2 hours ago, ahmed9500 said:

That's not good. Obviously this happens so. Any explanation for why it happened? Are you not worried that the 2nd transplant will go the same way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asterix0 said:

I looked at your earlier pictures, it is difficult to say because of how your hair is styled.

I think you are close to where you were back in January/February, but only you yourself know for sure.

Is there a chance you can visit your surgeon and have him inspect your hair?

Yeah it can still look like a good improvement if styled a certain way, but generally I am seeing and feeling a less satisfying result than I did a few months ago, and I think most of the thinning has happened in the last 2 months or so.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

@Rossybop

Its hard to say without comparison photos. Ultimately, it could be a seasonal shed, or even that your hair is greasier making it look thinner. If you can post similar pictures with your hair parted this way, we could compare apples to apples. 

Is there such a thing as a seasonal shed?