Dr Bicer said no, Basinga said possibly!

Good morning all.

I have long hair and a mildly receding hairline. I’ve been on finasteride for a couple of years to halt its progress. I can live with it how it is, but there’s a part of me thinking, ‘why should I?’! 
anyway, Dr Bicer has said no, via a zoom consult, and I’ve just heard back from Bisanga saying he’d do 1800 - 2000 grafts. They’ve asked if I can travel to London to meet him for a consultation. I’m also speaking to a nice chap at FARJO, who I also have a consult with in a couple of weeks. 

anyway, I’m not sure if I should Pursue any of this, now Bicer has told me it’s unnecessary.. I’d love to hear what you all think. 
my hair is quite short for my standards, but when it’s long, and off my face, my hairline does bother me! 
Im 38 

Would love some opinions before I do (or don’t!) commit.

5061AD53-C48A-4D89-9C3B-647CE5E72617.jpeg

EC5BFA74-A998-4DA5-88D8-31612B2E957E.jpeg

21E50FC2-1AB5-431C-8853-6A38EE5CAC7C.jpeg

78C04C1F-F2F7-4508-ABFC-D4A857BEC31B.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

To be honest I can see why Dr Bicer has said no (especially looking at the third picture). At 38 you are rocking a great head of hair. It sounds like that medical therapy is doing it's job. You could always go ahead with Dr Bisanga but why risk it? Risk of shedding, etc. The number of grafts really would be very low in hair transplant terms. I'm a big one for surgery being the last resort and to me your hair looks great. All the best.

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 7

it is "unnecessary" since you're not really having hair loss i think, more like just a mature hairline with a big forehead.

there is a very slight loss on the hairline but that's it.

you can have a HT but it really comes down to your own decision. it won't be life changing to you as compared to many people here, but it would improve your look slightly if it succeeds. and like gatsby said, there's risk with the surgery, not to mention the cost + convalescence. for many here, it's worth it because it would "change their life", but for you it's a slight improvement. if you decide not to, it's all good, i can confidently say no one is going to say you're balding if your hairline stays that way. if you decide to do it, please do your research well, and good luck with it.

• Like 3

Thank you, lads! I appreciate your responses. It probably doesn’t help that I draw over my face… stops you seeing the whole story! I do have a slightly bigger than average forehead, so tgat probably doesn’t help… wonder if I should try minoxidil..? This was my hair in 2009. Not a drastic difference, I don’t think.. 

D9D0008C-0758-4FDE-9E19-8F4974D49538.jpeg

Honestly, saying no to a 38-year-old who has been on multiple-year+ finasteride is absurd. It isn't "ethical" at all; this isn't some 19-year-old freaking out at the first signs of hair loss while also refusing to get on a DHT-inhibitor. It's not about a risk-reward assessment either; hair transplant outcomes are actually very low risk if you go to an established surgeon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

I would definitely try minoxidil before surgery and give it a good 6-12 months before making a judgement on it. All the best!

I dont know much about minoxidil… it’s something I’d have to stay on, like finasteride? Tablets or lotion… many reported side effects? 

There is a difference between "needing" a transplant and "wanting" a transplant. Very few people need it. 95% of us get one because we don't like our hair, it makes us feel old, someone commented on us going bald, mid-life crisis, or whatever. 

You're not a high norwood, which are difficult and expensive cases. Most high norwoods should shave it and be done with it, but their "want" for hair sends them down the rabbit hole. 

I think you're a perfect candidate for a homerun transplant.  Tons of donor, mild recession, and curly hair. With Bisanga, there's pretty much no chance of it not coming out amazing.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 4:02 PM, Otis james said:

Good morning all.

I have long hair and a mildly receding hairline. I’ve been on finasteride for a couple of years to halt its progress. I can live with it how it is, but there’s a part of me thinking, ‘why should I?’! 
anyway, Dr Bicer has said no, via a zoom consult, and I’ve just heard back from Bisanga saying he’d do 1800 - 2000 grafts. They’ve asked if I can travel to London to meet him for a consultation. I’m also speaking to a nice chap at FARJO, who I also have a consult with in a couple of weeks. 

anyway, I’m not sure if I should Pursue any of this, now Bicer has told me it’s unnecessary.. I’d love to hear what you all think. 
my hair is quite short for my standards, but when it’s long, and off my face, my hairline does bother me! 
Im 38 

Would love some opinions before I do (or don’t!) commit.

5061AD53-C48A-4D89-9C3B-647CE5E72617.jpeg

EC5BFA74-A998-4DA5-88D8-31612B2E957E.jpeg

21E50FC2-1AB5-431C-8853-6A38EE5CAC7C.jpeg

78C04C1F-F2F7-4508-ABFC-D4A857BEC31B.jpeg

You have a mildly receding hairline. You can go for 1500 to 2000 grafts depending on the hairline of your choice.

If you are experiencing further loss of hair then you can take finasteride to prolong the baldness. However, you can try the medication for a couple of months to observe whether you get any side effects from it and then decide accordingly whether to take it or not.

You would have wonderful results if you go for a transplant because you have a good donor area and a small area to cover. However, even if you decide not to go for a transplant, it is okay because the hairline has receded very little.

Edited by Eugenix Hair Sciences
  • Like 1

While you don’t “need” a hair transplant, no one really needs one, but we want one to look better. 
the ironic thing is you are the most ideal hair transplant candidate. An adult with minimal hair loss.

dont let the pessimist convince you not too. Of course surgery is a risk, and it can go wrong but that’s why you select a good surgeon to give it a best success. dr Bisanga is good and won’t mess you up. 

if improving your hair line will help you be more satisfied with how you look. I think you should go for it. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

The risk vs. rewards isn’t very good. That said, with a quality doctor I’m sure you can get a great result. That said, what are your expectations? That’s what may make you a bad candidate. Realize that surgery isn’t perfect, and you WILL NOT have native density in one round. You may need more surgeries to achieve the density you want. If these are issues, don’t get surgery. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The risk vs. rewards isn’t very good. That said, with a quality doctor I’m sure you can get a great result. That said, what are your expectations? That’s what may make you a bad candidate. Realize that surgery isn’t perfect, and you WILL NOT have native density in one round. You may need more surgeries to achieve the density you want. If these are issues, don’t get surgery. 

Honestly, my expectations are to leave the hairline where it is, but make it fuller! Less see through. I don’t want a lower, or straighter hairline. Just a bit more fair where my hairline already sits. But it’s obviously not straight Forward… 

So you think there’s too much risk involved? 

1 hour ago, shiba1985 said:

While you don’t “need” a hair transplant, no one really needs one, but we want one to look better. 
the ironic thing is you are the most ideal hair transplant candidate. An adult with minimal hair loss.

dont let the pessimist convince you not too. Of course surgery is a risk, and it can go wrong but that’s why you select a good surgeon to give it a best success. dr Bisanga is good and won’t mess you up. 

if improving your hair line will help you be more satisfied with how you look. I think you should go for it. 

" No on needs one" tell that to the guy with a bowling bowl head mate lol

• Haha 2

If you want to 'dense-pack' your existing hairline early then you need to find surgeons that can transplant at high densities within existing frontal hair.

Not all want to or are really capable of doing this artistically (very important) nor technically.  Choose well & you're golden.  Choose poorly & you will not be satisfied.

Your case reminds me of the guy who recently had surgery w/Dr. Ferrera - great results for us that have massive hairloss - but he is not completely satisfied - yet made peace w/his results.

Edited by jjsrader

you are a good candidate. however the issue is that these Drs are concerned about your expectations. You need high density and they  may not be able to deliver it. even if so, the improvement would be mild as you do not have corner only some mild frontal recession

Edited by Mike10

Nobody "Needs" a hair transplant. It's an elective procedure and imo i think there's usually a little bit of a bias towards only getting a hair transplant if you visually appear to be a Norwood 3 and beyond. However i think that's a bit narrow sighted. 

Hair transplants are about restoring something to make somebody look visually more aesthetic and articulate with the framing. 

We are all bound by our individual circumstances but that doesn't mean those a little more fortunate not to be entirely ravaged of their hair shouldn't be allowed to go for a procedure to increase their aesthetic appeal. 

I may also be a bit biased in that i was a Norwood 2 but i am hoping maybe we can see that we all face an insecurity in our hair loss battles even if the extent of it isn't the same as others. The mental and emotional angsts are all generally shared. 

It's pretty funny how Bicer was like "buzz off pal, you don't need a ht" and Bisanga was like "hmm a NW2? yeah, come on down pal!". That sounds about right. 🤣

Kudos to Dr Bicer.

I don't see a problem with filling in the temples. It doesn't even appear that bad, maybe just the left temple? Lowering the hairline would be risky though.

Regardless, the meds seem to be working for you so stick with that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I would definitely try minoxidil before surgery and give it a good 6-12 months before making a judgement on it. All the best!

or PRP, it works better than Minox in my experience

Are you expanding your search? You'll want to consult with doctors that can do high density in 1 pass. It's hard to do so you want top level doctors. 2000 grafts is a significant amount of grafts and most will go to your temples. A transplant that yields medium-dense temples will look like a failure, because they surround your high-dense native hair.

Look up Ferreira in Portugal and De Freitas in Spain. They have long waiting lists and may take a couple months to get online evaluation feedback, but they are worth the wait.