Hair transplant under the worst possible lighting.

Hi everyone,

Hoping to start a thread in which users will share their hair transplant exposed to the worst possible lighting circumstances such as beaming sunlight. 🌤️

This should give others realistic expectations as to what you should expect from a hair transplant procedure. 

Please share your own images if possible. :)

Edited by SeanToman

23 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

image.png.64d258c47ad9f38398b845f4d8c16536.png

Just as a note on this. You could hypothetically add some hair fibres and the appearance would look visually really close to native density imo. 

On hot days, just choose a brand that won't run or you'll look like Rudy in front of the wrong Four Seasons giving a press conference :D

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, deeznuts said:

looks pretty good honestly. what's the density?

Thanks! I'll need to count the grafts per square centimetre for sure, went to a hair mill you see so they didn't provide this information.

It can look a whole lot worse under other conditions, I think the photo above was too kind.

image.thumb.jpeg.cb95200116adeed7900730c10a1aefcf.jpeg

Edited by SeanToman

I’ll be as diplomatic as possible so not to offend Melvin. 

If your purpose of this thread was to highlight the realities of a HT result for prospective patients, I would argue to say that, although it is a ‘how long is a piece of string’ subject, depending on the initial starting point and hair characteristics of the patient etc - it is wrong to assume that this is how a hair transplant in 2022 will always look under these conditions.

I’ve attached a picture from a user on here (only at 7 months post op) in not too dissimilar lighting conditions after his hairline transplant - which I think can be agreed, appears vastly different to the pictures you have provided. 

9DC4506D-210F-4913-A6C1-AB2475531DAF.jpeg

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

If your purpose of this thread was to highlight the realities of a HT result for prospective patients, I would argue to say that, although it is a ‘how long is a piece of string’ subject, depending on the initial starting point and hair characteristics of the patient etc - it is wrong to assume that this is how a hair transplant in 2022 will always look under these conditions.

I’ve attached a picture from a user on here (only at 7 months post op) in not too dissimilar lighting conditions after his hairline transplant - which I think can be agreed, appears vastly different to the pictures you have provided. 

Indoor vs. outdoor isn’t the same lighting. In fact, I would categorize this as favorable lighting. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

15 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Indoor vs. outdoor isn’t the same lighting. In fact, I would categorize this as favorable lighting. 

Correct - I made a point by saying the conditions were similar, not exact, as this picture appears to have been taken in natural light (indoors) - however the emphasis was placed upon what I think is fair to say, quite a considerably different appearance.

Do you think the pictures originally posted on this thread are an accurate representation of the limits as to what hair transplants look like in outdoor lighting? 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Correct - I made a point by saying the conditions were similar, not exact, as this picture appears to have been taken in natural light (indoors) - however the emphasis was placed upon what I think is fair to say, quite a considerably different appearance.

Do you think the pictures originally posted on this thread are an accurate representation of the limits as to what hair transplants look like in outdoor lighting? 

No. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

There are several factors to unpack. Outdoor vs. indoor, facing light vs. facing away from light. Graft placement, and whether multiples were placed in the hairline. All of these factors will affect the overall appearance. 

indoor
9C90C26A-44A4-4515-BCD6-6D31780E0A7E.jpeg

Outdoor directly facing light

136F961C-4817-4357-816C-B61F0614C607.jpeg

Outdoor not directly in sun

0189E4DD-1906-4A86-90DA-46FC6EF393FA.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

That’s all I was trying to convey to the wider audiences. 

That’s totally fine, but I was just pointing out the difference between indoor vs. outdoor. Here’s a better example of what can be achieved. @Egott92 good surgeon, good donor, good hair thickness and curl. Outdoor similar lighting.7AA2489C-3646-4C04-8B4A-5EC56FDD48E8.jpeg

• Like 2

View my thread

40 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That’s totally fine, but I was just pointing out the difference between indoor vs. outdoor. Here’s a better example of what can be achieved. @Egott92 good surgeon, good donor, good hair thickness and curl. Outdoor similar lighting.7AA2489C-3646-4C04-8B4A-5EC56FDD48E8.jpeg

That looks really good. Bar the slightly more see through effect on the left side of his hairline, possibly due to being combed over that way it looks really natural and most wouldn't bat an eyelid even if they generally know what to look for in a hair transplant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Hi, that's correct.

I hope to share the realities of a HT under the worst lighting conditions.
Perhaps for contrast we should also show the best lighting conditions.

The sample you provided is under good lighting conditions.  It's easy to match this illusion of density if you give yourself a kind enough environment, here's an example of my transplant in similar lighting;
image.png.4356bf903f54587a39e41f377c16e158.png

Edited by SeanToman

These are me pre surgery. I will post in here after my results to show the difference.  Even in a non transplanted hairline with fine hair that has decent thickness, it’s not perfectly consistently thick throughout and I’m sure it won’t be after.  I think the hairline Egott92 received is superior to mine  These pretty much span the gamut lighting wise.  Anyone deciding whether to get a transplant needs to understand that the result they can achieve (as opposed to the best ones you see online) are heavily dependent on their own hair characteristics.  Even a densely packed hairline likely won't look great in harsh lighting if the quality of the hair is very poor.

511CE5F3-E0BC-4337-BC60-2F5D7916A0F8.jpeg

E04A7ADB-4951-4DAE-9869-B38DC3855146.jpeg

F04726AB-5D6A-49E9-92CC-A3A0055C2011.jpeg

90AE86AF-B82B-4366-AD4E-683040E059C6.jpeg

8BBAC53D-1410-4F8E-B126-73AFA4340DF2.jpeg

C754E58B-66B7-4029-B421-4B4A73721B98.jpeg

Edited by John1991
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, John1991 said:

These are me pre surgery. I will post in here after my results to show the difference.  Even in a non transplanted hairline with fine hair that has decent thickness, it’s not perfectly consistently thick throughout and I’m sure it won’t be after.  I think the hairline Egott92 received is superior to mine  These pretty much span the gamut lighting wise.  Anyone deciding whether to get a transplant needs to understand that the result they can achieve (as opposed to the best ones you see online) are heavily dependent on their own hair characteristics.  Even a densely packed hairline likely won't look great in harsh lighting if the quality of the hair is very poor.

511CE5F3-E0BC-4337-BC60-2F5D7916A0F8.jpeg

E04A7ADB-4951-4DAE-9869-B38DC3855146.jpeg

F04726AB-5D6A-49E9-92CC-A3A0055C2011.jpeg

90AE86AF-B82B-4366-AD4E-683040E059C6.jpeg

8BBAC53D-1410-4F8E-B126-73AFA4340DF2.jpeg

C754E58B-66B7-4029-B421-4B4A73721B98.jpeg

This looks great in all lighting. 

This is the worst I can get it to look, under super direct sunlight, while spreading the hair a bit.

image0.png

EDIT:  And as @Melvin- Moderatordid, here's right after, in same location/same light, facing away from sunlight:

image0.png

Edited by Fue3361

Check out my journey here: