Confused and frankly depressed about my weak donor area. Out of the box thoughts?

Prof101

I am heading to NW6 it seems. Although my hair been stable due to propecia for the last 5 yrs.* Irrespective, even if I never loose any more hair I was told I need at least 3500-4500 to get decent coverage. 

I first saw a top doctor in NY (forgetting his name), he told me that my donor is not dense enough. But he said that my hair caliber is thick and bit wavy that he can give me a decent hairline but not enough for the crown. He thought I could do max 3000-3500. 

Then I saw a doctor with similar opinion. Then I saw a doctor who said that my copious body hair allows anything, but I don't like the BHT idea. Never looks natural. 

Then I saw Hasson and Wang lately, and was shocked. Rhey explained that not only do I have a weak donor area but they actually think my hair is thin in addition. A prior minor surgery long time ago left a lot of dots and reduced density (10 years ago technique was less efficient). So shaving is also problematic and my head does not look decent shaved.

So I am left with no options it seems. What bad luck. I thought about donor harvesting, but it seems that with my donor area, there will be a lot of harvesting needed and might not look good. So I am not sure who to turn to. 

Sorry for the ramble, just depressed. I always imagined that eventually I wiill have a surgery... 

Edited by Prof101

51 minutes ago, Prof101 said:

I am not heading to NW5 it seems. Although my hair been stable. Irrespective, even if I never loose any more hair I was told I need at least 3500-4500 to get decent coverage. 

I first saw a top doctor in NY (forgetting his name), he told me that my donor is not dense enough. But he said that my hair caliber is thick and bit wavy that he can give me a decent hairline but not enough for the crown. He thought I could do max 3000-3500. 

Then I saw a doctor with similar opinion. Then I saw a doctor who said that my copious body hair allows anything, but I don't like the BHT idea. Never looks natural. 

Then I saw Hasson and Wang lately, and was shocked. Rhey explained that not only do I have a weak donor area but they actually think my hair is thin in addition. A prior minor surgery long time ago left a lot of dots and reduced density (10 years ago technique was less efficient). So shaving is also problematic and my head does not look decent shaved.

So I am left with no options it seems. What bad luck. I thought about donor harvesting, but it seems that with my donor area, there will be a lot of harvesting needed and might not look good. So I am not sure who to turn to. 

Sorry for the ramble, just depressed. I always imagined that eventually I wiill have a surgery... 

Do you have any photos?

• Like 1

How's your bodyhair and beard?  You could contact Eugenix and see what they think.  I've seen some amazing results from them using tons of beard/bodyhair grafts on people with bad donor head areas.

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

So you've had a transplant before?  How old are you?  Have you tried fin or dut?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

12 hours ago, Prof101 said:

When I grow my hair my donor area does not look thin at all. But if I run my hands in the donor I can tell it is not dense enough. 

IMG-0989.jpg

IMG-0966 (1).jpg

What do you exactly mean "I am not heading Norwood 5 it seems"?

You look in my opinion to be Norwood 6 possibly heading Norwood 7 as I see some thinning far low into your donor.

I would recommend you to consult with Eugenix. You should also keep your hair a little bit shorter for the consultation photos so you can really see how it looks somewhere around 3-5cm

Edited by digi23
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, digi23 said:

What do you exactly mean "I am not heading Norwood 5 it seems"?

You look in my opinion to be Norwood 6 possibly heading Norwood 7 as I see some thinning far low into your donor.

I would recommend you to consult with Eugenix. You should also keep your hair a little bit shorter for the consultation photos so you can really see how it looks somewhere around 3-5cm

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Probably a NW6. 

@digi it was a typo. I meant to say that I AM heading to Norwood 5 and maybe more. 

I am on propecia and have been stable for the last couple of years but it s not a guarantee. 

@SadMan2021  These consulations (all) were in person 

@aaron1234 I am 44. I had a HT 10 years ago of 750 FUe only in crown.

Yeah, I agree with the others that you are already a NW6 heading towards a NW7.  If H&W refused you then that says something about your case.   I'd recommend coming to terms with shaving it off.  Perhaps you can treat the FUE scars with SMP.   Your darker hair color might actually be great for SMP

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Have you consulted with Eugenix? I’m far from an expert, but I find it hard to believe you’re inoperable. 

If folks like @Zoomsterand some other NW6/7 with repair work can come back, I don’t see why you can’t. You may need to over harvest your donor like crazy, get SMP, use beard hair, and fit farm your donor - but couldn’t it be possible?

I’m new so maybe I’m wrong - just thinking out loud 

Is there any way we could twist your arm to buzz it down to say a number 4  guard so we can attempt at a proper appraisal of your donor ?  ...i agree with @Grouse..I would of thought something could be done here ..and remember I was deemed not suitable for HT ( 10 years ago !! ) 

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 1/2/2022 at 9:40 PM, Prof101 said:

When I grow my hair my donor area does not look thin at all. But if I run my hands in the donor I can tell it is not dense enough. 

IMG-0989.jpg

IMG-0966 (1).jpg

I’d recommend consulting with clinics that have extensive knowledge on Norwood 6+ patients. Hasson and Wong and Eugenix would be my top two. You either get a mega strip +FUE or FUE+ BHT. I went the FUE+BHT route with Dr. Sethi. But I think mega strips are definitely an option.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

a picture of my body hair. Have a thick beard as well. But I would never use them on top. Curious about fit farming as the only other possibility, but. concerned about the outcome. Not a very common procedure, so I have only seen a couple of them.   

Edited by Prof101