Can You Get an FUE Without Propecia?

Have you had a hair transplant without fin?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Administrators

I thought it would be cool to include a little poll here, how many of you have had a hair transplant(s) without using finasteride. What's your experience been?

Can I Get an FUE Without Propecia?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, deeznuts said:

What's your experience been like without fin? Have you avoided taking it due to side effects or just a personal decision at the start?

Contra-indications with another med i was taking for years. But as a Norwood 6 i always realised I would be chasing the loss and needing multiple hts. 

It is doable, it all depends on the goals and expectations.  First, I think it is important to understand there are other modalities, (external), that can also be used to help with retention. If the patient insists on doing nothing, it is then up to the doctor & consultant to explain the options.  You could transplant the front, blend to the area behind it, and avoid working the crown.  It is also likely the patient may require multiple procedures to achieve a desired result, (pending donor availability). You also have to consider a patient may also have access to their entire donor with the use of both FUT/FUE

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Gokuhairline said:

i think you'll be surprised melvin...

I am surprised looks like it's 50-50. I would love to hear about the reasons why

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

This is an interesting topic. My answer would be yes, depending on the circumstances. To illustrate this I give an example: 

- A 40 plus year old man with a full head of hair with good density and only minor recession in the temples area (NW 2-3). His familiy history is not bad and he pursues a lighter medical therapy (like topical minox or prp ). But he does not take propecia. 

- A 27 year old man with more agressive and advanced hair loss, let's say NW 3-4.. He take propecia.  

I think it is not difficult to see who carries the greater end risk.

• Like 1

FUE hair transplantation has come a long way and can produce solid, natural looking results on par with strip in the right hands.  However, hair restoration surgery does nothing to slow down or stop the progression of male pattern baldness.  Propecia works well in this department for many men which is why those with minimal hair loss are often advised to consider it.  That said, men can undergo FUE without getting on Propecia as long as they understand and accept the risks that hair loss may continue after surgery.  That's why patients should always consider their long term hair restoration goals rather than just for a single hair transplant procedure.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Dr. Rahal said:

FUE hair transplantation has come a long way and can produce solid, natural looking results on par with strip in the right hands.  However, hair restoration surgery does nothing to slow down or stop the progression of male pattern baldness.  Propecia works well in this department for many men which is why those with minimal hair loss are often advised to consider it.  That said, men can undergo FUE without getting on Propecia as long as they understand and accept the risks that hair loss may continue after surgery.  That's why patients should always consider their long term hair restoration goals rather than just for a single hair transplant procedure.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you for replying, 

Does Dr. Rahal offer any topical alternatives such as Topical Finasteride or Topical Dutasteride?

View my thread

In my opinion it should be prescribed on a case by case basis. The reality is a lot of folks will continue to lose ground even while on Fin or can't take for life due to sides. Then there are the cases who without Fin will do well for long period of time, as I mentioned in my example. So it is not a black or white issue at all. 

Some doctors  will insist on patients taking Fin in every case. This approach is also questionable in my  opinion. The reality is a lot of patients proceeds with HT without Fin, they may regret this sooner or later on. So in conclusion,  HT without Fin  should be a calculated Riks,  and you should ensure you have green light from reputable Dr. 

Edited by Mike10

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Mike10 said:

In my opinion it should be prescribed on a case by case basis. The reality is a lot of folks will continue to lose ground even while on Fin or can't take for life due to sides. Then there are the cases who without Fin will do well for long period of time, as I mentioned in my example. So it is not a black or white issue at all. 

Some doctors  will insist on patients taking Fin in every case. This approach is also questionable in my  opinion. The reality is a lot of patients proceeds with HT without Fin, they may regret this sooner or later on. So in conclusion,  HT without Fin  should be a calculated Riks,  and you should ensure you have green light from reputable Dr. 

Some valid points.

View my thread

It is impossible to say for sure as everyone's case is different. Everyone's follicles have different levels of DHT sensitivity, including donor and recipient areas.

As a rule of thumb, the older you are, and the more hair you have, the less you have to worry about. A guy in his 50s with pretty good hair except for some recession would likely have no need to get on finasteride.

As a rule of thumb, I would advise any young guy losing hair fast (in your twenties and headed to slick bald territory on top) to get on finasteride. You can still save the remaining hairs you have on top, and protect your transplanted hairs, especially if you have signs of donor thinning. 

On 11/18/2021 at 12:49 AM, asterix0 said:

It is impossible to say for sure as everyone's case is different. Everyone's follicles have different levels of DHT sensitivity, including donor and recipient areas.

As a rule of thumb, the older you are, and the more hair you have, the less you have to worry about. A guy in his 50s with pretty good hair except for some recession would likely have no need to get on finasteride.

As a rule of thumb, I would advise any young guy losing hair fast (in your twenties and headed to slick bald territory on top) to get on finasteride. You can still save the remaining hairs you have on top, and protect your transplanted hairs, especially if you have signs of donor thinning. 

And what if you start losing your hair around 27 (am not 29) and it is now affecting me, not on fin.