FUT/FUE in Japan

(I'm a caucasian male - 36 years old )Hello everyone, I'm looking for advice about my hair. What do you guys think about my case ? Also, I live in Japan. Should I do the procedure here ? Japanese men have a different type of hair than caucasian. I don't really care about the price, all I want is an extraordinary (and fast result if possible 😉). What do you guys think ? To be fair, I feel like the pictures make my head look like it's balding more than it really is. Donor zone is thick and dense !

Thank you in advance for your advices. 

😇🥰

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

Looking at your pattern of loss it’s clear you will end up a Norwood 6 without any med intervention. You should consider the usual Fin/Minox combo after discussion with your own Dr/Dermatologist. Otherwise you will lose the hair across the top of your scalp. It’s heading that way already as we can see In your pics. Right now it’s possible to consider the meds and it will help retain and maybe even improve what you have at present. Most clinics would ask you to be on meds before undergoing a hair transplant. Normally for at least 6 months to a year before they might consider you as a patient. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys, really helpful read. I'm a little bit worried though, not gonna lie. I didn't think my balding was that catastrophic ! Are there any side effects to the meds (minox and finasteride in particular) ?

I've seen some pictures before/after of some people with literally no hair on their head, and after the surgery it was like a virgin forest of hair. I coudln't believe it !

I'll look into Eugenix. I saw the clinic in Vancouver and they have alot of before/after photos of patients they had. The ones dealing with a Norwood 6... well, their heads are covered but it doesn't look THAT miraculous. I guess I also have some expectations management to do as well. 

Right now it’s not exactly catastrophic. Just the pattern of loss shows it will progress without the use of Fin in particular. Yes it can have side effects and therefore it needs to be discussed with your own Dr and/or a Dermatologist. Professional advice should always be sought before starting any med regime.

Start researching the higher Norwood levels here on the forum, don’t put too much faith in the “cherry picked” clinics results. What you want to see is real patient full 12 month journeys. You will find 100s of similar cases to you here on the forum. Take your time with this and plan carefully. It wouldn’t hurt to start consultation’s with some decent Clinics such as Eugenix. They will give you some really good feedback/advice on your situation.

• Like 2

Hasson & Wong 3500+ grafts, 4000 tops.  They may suggest more but I think better to see how 3500 goes first, then go back a year or two after.

• Like 2

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

2 hours ago, JC71 said:

Right now it’s not exactly catastrophic. Just the pattern of loss shows it will progress without the use of Fin in particular. Yes it can have side effects and therefore it needs to be discussed with your own Dr and/or a Dermatologist. Professional advice should always be sought before starting any med regime.

Start researching the higher Norwood levels here on the forum, don’t put too much faith in the “cherry picked” clinics results. What you want to see is real patient full 12 month journeys. You will find 100s of similar cases to you here on the forum. Take your time with this and plan carefully. It wouldn’t hurt to start consultation’s with some decent Clinics such as Eugenix. They will give you some really good feedback/advice on your situation.

Good advice. 

Your donor looks pretty good, so if money isn’t of too much concern, you can carefully select a really great clinic after researching more.

How’s your beard by the way? That tends to be the game changer these days for higher NW’s who choose not to use medication, as a good beard can provide an extra 2000-5000 grafts, which help a lot for coverage. 

I think as a rough estimate, dr’s such as Sethi @Eugenix Hair Science or Zarev in Bulgaria could probably get 10,000 grafts out of your donor, whereas other clinics couldn’t/wouldn’t - so if you add another 2,000 BHT on top of 10,000 scalp grafts (over multiple surgeries) . . You will be looking great. 

Jesus Christ this looks like a real journey ! 1978 : any reason why you're suggesting Hasson & Wong ? I was actually looking at their clinic yesterday cause it just happens that I'm Canadian and for some reason, dealing with a clinic from my country also provides a sense of security.

I saw that Dr Kronio did with you, and I'm jealous ! I want that ! :D Should I write to the clinic to get information ? 

5 hours ago, trotsky__ said:

Jesus Christ this looks like a real journey ! 1978 : any reason why you're suggesting Hasson & Wong ? I was actually looking at their clinic yesterday cause it just happens that I'm Canadian and for some reason, dealing with a clinic from my country also provides a sense of security.

I saw that Dr Kronio did with you, and I'm jealous ! I want that ! :D Should I write to the clinic to get information ? 

H&W are probably the nearest to Japan, even though a 9 hr flight, unless you go to one of the Thailand Doctors that are good also.  You will probably need two HTs and 6000+ grafts.

Dr K will be a year + waitlist and tends to cap his FUT surgeries at ~3000-3500 these days.  It depends if you're willing to do this over multi years.

Dr Gabel also another option on the West Coast.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Valued Contributor

I would be looking at surgeons who specialize in Norwood 6 type hair loss. Eugenix would get my vote on this. I'm heading there in January as I'm a Norwood 6 and will be relying on my beard donor. This may not be the case for you and if you are able to take finasteride then I definitely recommend that you consider it. I'm not a doctor but you want to be able to stabilize your hair loss and retain as much of your hair. Don't let travel, a tight budget, etc stop you from choosing the correct surgeon for your hair loss. Definitely spend a lot of time doing your research and I highly recommend the surgeons that this forum recommends. All the best!

Let me all stop you right there: I have more facial hair than all of you combined ! :P (grin)

6000 grafts looks a little bit extreme, I was thinking of 3500-4000 ? I guess that the actual hair that are remaining are also going to fall off eventually so I'll need more. 

Lil' extra for you guys, a beardy trotsky ! 😾 I also have alot of beard in my neck that doesn't show on this picture cause it's shaved... it goes rather low and quite abundant chest hair as well lmao

image.png.27a124a656a24be8f5d9484325454b25.png

Also, I'm worried about the amount of grafts needed - I get it, my balding pathern is headed towards Norwood 6, but at what point it is gonna show in the donor zones ? I can't believe they'll pull out 6000 grafts in the back of my head without it showing badly... any thoughts ?

50 minutes ago, trotsky__ said:

Let me all stop you right there: I have more facial hair than all of you combined ! :P (grin)

6000 grafts looks a little bit extreme, I was thinking of 3500-4000 ? I guess that the actual hair that are remaining are also going to fall off eventually so I'll need more. 

Lil' extra for you guys, a beardy trotsky ! 😾 I also have alot of beard in my neck that doesn't show on this picture cause it's shaved... it goes rather low and quite abundant chest hair as well lmao

image.png.27a124a656a24be8f5d9484325454b25.png

47 minutes ago, trotsky__ said:

Also, I'm worried about the amount of grafts needed - I get it, my balding pathern is headed towards Norwood 6, but at what point it is gonna show in the donor zones ? I can't believe they'll pull out 6000 grafts in the back of my head without it showing badly... any thoughts ?

Its good that you got that beard, you can also harvest from there if needed. 

Yes you will need 6000-8000 approx, preferably in 2 sessions so about 4000 now and about 2500-4000 in a year or so. 

You will thin out your donor ofcourse with removing this amount of grafts, but with a good Dr and ENOUGH DONOR it will not be extremely noticeable if you strictly for FUE. You can also go for FUT first, but it leave a bigger linear scar on the back of your head.

Edited by digi23
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, trotsky__ said:

I did 7070 grafts for my first surgery as a Norwood 6 in January this year and donor looked almost untouched, did another session almost 4 weeks ago with 3613 grafts... 

7 hours ago, HugoX said:

I did 7070 grafts for my first surgery as a Norwood 6 in January this year and donor looked almost untouched, did another session almost 4 weeks ago with 3613 grafts... 

You probably have some sick donor then, usually an average donor will not leave you looking "untouched" with 10K grafts harvested.

7 hours ago, HugoX said:

I thought that was true only in legends. Congrats for giving a nice beating to MPB.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a question for y'all: lots of people seem to recommend Hasson & Wong, so I got a quote from them. However, two things surprised me:

FIrst, the price. I'm looking at roughly 32 000$ USD for 4500 grafts (FUE) - + the flight, and money spent over there... That's a whole lot of money honestly.

I was expecting something between 10 and 20k (!). 

Also, it looks like the techs play a huge part of the surgery. The surgeon just does the incisions according to them. Isn't that an issue, especially when paying this price ? Let me know what you guys think.

Eugenix or Hattingen would be a very good fit for you, both very skilled in the higher Norwood levels. H&W are obviously elite but are they going to give you a better result than some others ? Nope. Always about finding the right Dr/Clinic for your specific needs. Dr Bisnaga would also be a good consideration as would Dr Zarev. 

Edited by JC71

1 minute ago, trotsky__ said:

Thing is, what can you do if you go to Eugenix and they screw up ? 
Not much you can do.. I feel like if you're in Canada, you can still sue them if things go south at least lmao. (grin)

The after care of Eugenix is exceptionally good. As with any clinic/Dr no procedure is guaranteed. Things can happen but Eugenix are not likely going to screw you up 🙂our own moderater @Melvin- Moderatoris next up for a procedure with them. They are more than worth the travel. I’m choosing them for my 6th procedure. They are easily doing some of the best work worldwide, in particular with the higher Norwoods. They would give you the best chance of a good result. My god with your donor and amazing beard the sky is the limit ! 

27 minutes ago, trotsky__ said:

Thing is, what can you do if you go to Eugenix and they screw up ? 
Not much you can do.. I feel like if you're in Canada, you can still sue them if things go south at least lmao. (grin)

I highly doubt you'd be able to sue any clinic if a procedure went wrong as you sign away such rights before the procedure

Yeah I know, don't worry, I'm pretty sure they make you sign a waiver. It was intended as a joke but generaly speaking there is a sense of confidence that comes with going to canada as a canadian, compared to going to india. I had a fight with my wife about this, lmao. 🤣