Best FUT surgeons for Asian hair and hairlines?

This could be a bit of a specific target, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum could recommend HT surgeons who have a demonstrated history of success working with:

• Asian hair
  • Asian hairlines
  • FUT, density

I'm currently looking at Dr. Diep as my favorite, but there have been some concerning threads lately and I am now exploring alternatives. Thank you for your help! 

• Administrators

Check out Dr. Path and Dr. Laorwong in Thailand both excellent with asian hair.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, motegam said:

This could be a bit of a specific target, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum could recommend HT surgeons who have a demonstrated history of success working with:

• Asian hair
  • Asian hairlines
  • FUT, density

I'm currently looking at Dr. Diep as my favorite, but there have been some concerning threads lately and I am now exploring alternatives. Thank you for your help! 

Black, white, Asian, Hispanic...We are all the same and the same techniques apply.  What the doctor needs to do is to mimic the native hair and do the apertures accordingly.  I find it offensive, (and ignorant), to recommend a particular doctor only because he may share the same nationality.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Black, white, Asian, Hispanic...We are all the same and the same techniques apply.  What the doctor needs to do is to mimic the native hair and do the apertures accordingly.  I find it offensive, (and ignorant), to recommend a particular doctor only because he may share the same nationality.

I disagree, there are differences, fine blonde hair from someone who’s Scandinavian is different than thick coarse hair from people of Mediterranean (Spanish/Portoguese) descent. Afro hair is vastly different. Asians on average have less hairs per cm2 but they have thick straight hair. There are subtleties and nuances with different regions, even amongst Europe. A good surgeon can operate on anyone though that I agree on.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

17 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I disagree, there are differences, fine blonde hair from someone who’s Scandinavian is different than thick coarse hair from people of Mediterranean (Spanish/Portoguese) descent. Afro hair is vastly different. Asians on average have less hairs per cm2 but they have thick straight hair. There are subtleties and nuances with different regions, even amongst Europe. A good surgeon can operate on anyone though that I agree on.

No no....you did not get my point.  I agree there are nuances. But this should not preclude any doctor from doing the work.  All they have to do is mimic what the native hair is doing to allow for the most natural result.  I am certain there is no "degree" in nuances.  Just comes from experience.  

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

10 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

If you became any more open-minded I think your brain might fall out lol.

• Like 1

I think most doctors can work with Asian hair since their qualities aren't necessarily so different from Caucasian hair. Asian hair tends to be a bit thicker and straighter but even Caucasians are known to have thick and straight hair. I have read that they can be a bit harder to keep the grafts alive or that they are situated a bit deeper than Caucasian hair but I imagine it's not too major of a difference unlike Afro hair which seems to pose some very unique challenges.

So in my opinion, most doctors will be able to take care of you well. Hasson & Wong have a few cases with Asian hair you can find on their site as well as on this site. But really, most doctors should be able to take care of you - straight hair is a lot easier to extract than nappy hair. I think Spain seems like a good place to try too since implanter pens are well suited for straighter hair from what I've read. That and some of the Spanish doctors are absolutely killing it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnAC71 said:

I think that Dr Diep, Dr Path, Dr Laorwong and @DrTBarghouthiare all good choices for Asian hair. Hasson & Wong are obviously a favourite choice with just about any hair types 😀

Diep is my number 1 choice since I live in his area and I suspect he's good with Asians (since he has videos of Asian patients). However, I've read a few concerning threads lately that his work is sub-par and losing quality. So unfortunately, I'm still doing more research to ease my anxiety. Bloxham seems great and ethical, but admittedly, his results are more conservative than Diep's 

7 hours ago, deeznuts said:

If you became any more open-minded I think your brain might fall out lol.

That happened a long time ago....

19 hours ago, motegam said:

Diep is my number 1 choice since I live in his area and I suspect he's good with Asians (since he has videos of Asian patients). However, I've read a few concerning threads lately that his work is sub-par and losing quality. So unfortunately, I'm still doing more research to ease my anxiety. Bloxham seems great and ethical, but admittedly, his results are more conservative than Diep's 

Well, H&W have Asian results and have a long history of doing FUT

I just found this website this morning.  What a great resource!

I'm a late 40s Asian male and just started my research as well. After a 2 month wait, I had a video consult with Dr. Diep last week.  He quickly recommended 3500 graft FUT.  I said "But you're the FUE king!"  He said, "That's right. I am and I'm telling you FUT will work for you with better results.   It's less expensive, one session, more density, don't have to shave your head, the linear scar is not that bad if you don't shave your head.  You can do FUE too but you'll have to visit me multiple times."  I thought I hit the jackpot with an honest doctor, with 1000s of Youtube videos.  

However, after reflecting on the consult, I recalled that he suggested FUT right after he ask where I was coming from and found out that I was coming from out of state.  I didn't get a very good feeling then, and my feeling just got worst when I asked his back office (Allison) to direct me to some normal follow up pictures of FUT patients showing the linear scar.  She said they don't have any, aside from the clinical videos where the hair is taped up to expose the linear scar. 

Really?!?  Are they hiding something, or are guys so excited to have a hairline that they are blind to the FUT linear scar?   

I then noticed that all of Diep's videos are about the beautiful natural "hair line."  I'm thinking to myself "Dude, what about the back of the head, how visible or not visible is the FUT scar?  Other doctors do that!"  On top of that, most of his Youtube videos of Asian patients had FUE

After reading messages on this website, it sounds like his best days may be behind him?  He's now running a HT money making factory with 2 patents at a time, using less-experienced techs, pumping out cornrows? 

I'm beginning to think that he only recommend FUT to me because I was out of state and it fits better with his schedule, etc.  Meaning it was better for him, not necessarily for me.  That's the feeling I get a week after the video consult, interactions with his disorganized back office, and things I learned on this awesome website.

Any "recent" fans of Dr. Diep that want to share their stories, or direct me to some other relevant posts?  

Asian FUT patient story and wears their hair short (1/2") are more useful for me.  Not making a social statement asking for Asian stories, it's just more relevant because Asian hair is different than Caucasian, Afro or other hair.

Many thanks! 

Edited by sbguy01
  • Like 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, sbguy01 said:

I'm a 48yo Asian male and just started my research as well. After a 2 month wait, I had a video consult with Dr. Diep last week.  He quickly recommended 3500 graft FUT.  I said "But you're the FUE king!"  He said, "That's right. I am and I'm telling you FUT will work for you with better results.   It's less expensive, one session, more density, don't have to shave your head, the linear scar is not that bad if you don't shave your head.  You can do FUE too but you'll have to visit me multiple times."  I thought I hit the jackpot with an honest doctor, with 1000s of Youtube videos.  

However, after reflecting on the consult, I recalled that he suggested FUT right after he ask where I was coming from and found out that I was coming from Nevada.  I didn't get a very good feeling then, and my feeling just got worst when I asked his back office (Allison) to direct me to some normal follow up pictures of FUT patients showing the linear scar.  She said they don't have any, aside from the clinical videos where the hair is taped up to expose the linear scar. 

Really?!?  Are they hiding something, or are guys so excited to have a hairline that they are blind to the FUT linear scar?   

I then noticed that all of Diep's videos are about the beautiful natural "hair line."  I'm thinking to myself "Dude, what about the back of the head, how visible or not visible is the FUT scar?  Other doctors do that!"  On top of that, most of his Youtube videos of Asian patients had FUE

After reading messages on this website, it sounds like his best days may be behind him?  He's now running a HT money making factory with 2 patents at a time, using less-experienced techs, pumping out cornrows? 

I'm beginning to think that he only recommend FUT to me because I was out of state and it fits better with his schedule, etc.  Meaning it was better for him, not necessarily for me.  That's the feeling I get a week after the video consult, interactions with his disorganized back office, and things I learned on this awesome website.

Any "recent" fans of Dr. Diep that want to share their stories, or direct me to some other relevant posts?  

Asian FUT patient story and wears their hair short (1/2") are more useful for me.  Not making a social statement asking for Asian stories, it's just more relevant because Asian hair is different than Caucasian, Afro or other hair.

Many thanks! 

Suspicious first post from a so-called interested patient. The fact that he recommended a cheaper alternative, which is FUT rather than FUE completely refutes your claims. There are plenty of examples here, most recently @Cahustler 

• Like 1

View my thread

31 minutes ago, sbguy01 said:

I'm a 48yo Asian male and just started my research as well. After a 2 month wait, I had a video consult with Dr. Diep last week.  He quickly recommended 3500 graft FUT.  I said "But you're the FUE king!"  He said, "That's right. I am and I'm telling you FUT will work for you with better results.   It's less expensive, one session, more density, don't have to shave your head, the linear scar is not that bad if you don't shave your head.  You can do FUE too but you'll have to visit me multiple times."  I thought I hit the jackpot with an honest doctor, with 1000s of Youtube videos.  

However, after reflecting on the consult, I recalled that he suggested FUT right after he ask where I was coming from and found out that I was coming from Nevada.  I didn't get a very good feeling then, and my feeling just got worst when I asked his back office (Allison) to direct me to some normal follow up pictures of FUT patients showing the linear scar.  She said they don't have any, aside from the clinical videos where the hair is taped up to expose the linear scar. 

Many thanks! 

I know nothing about Diep's scars/skill performing FUT leaving the patient with the thinnest scar possible, maybe he isn't the greatest, I don't know, but either way, scarring is often tied to physiology and how your body heals. If 50 people theoretically had the exact same FUT surgery under the exact same conditions by the same Dr, some would have a pencil thin scar, some wouldn't. Some would heal with no issues, some would experience stretching, and so on. So, if you do have FUT, you need to be aware that it might end up not being a great scar whoever you go to. That said, some surgeons are definitely more skilled than others in this department. 

I don't think it's fair to say he's running a HT money making factory, especially when he offered FUT which is cheaper as he believes it to be a better fit for you personally. I've no idea about his techs or anything.

You should start your own thread with pics etc so people can advise you, maybe FUE is a good idea. Hard to say without seeing your situation. 

• Like 2

@Melvin- ModeratorNothing suspicious here, all true.  Perhaps a bit ill-informed as I am just starting the process.  Diep's the first doc I consulted with, mainly because of his abundance of youtube videos showing his great results.  I read part of your original post and you are a happy Diep client.  But you must admit, the reviews on this forum have been love or hate, especially more hate in recent years, granted I just found this site a few hours ago.  Perhaps you lucked out and got him at at his prime? Thanks for the reference to Cahustler.  Will check it out!

@JDEE0 You're right.  It was unfair to say that he's an HT money machine, especially when he recommended FUT to me.  I just thought that maybe FUT was more efficient for him/staff.  FUE is more revenue, but also more cost to him as well.  I will create a separate thread, now that I'm broken in here, and see what people say about my situation.

Thanks for the pointers!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, sbguy01 said:

@Melvin- ModeratorNothing suspicious here, all true.  Perhaps a bit ill-informed as I am just starting the process.  Diep's the first doc I consulted with, mainly because of his abundance of youtube videos showing his great results.  I read part of your original post and you are a happy Diep client.  But you must admit, the reviews on this forum have been love or hate, especially more hate in recent years, granted I just found this site a few hours ago.  Perhaps you lucked out and got him at at his prime? Thanks for the reference to Cahustler.  Will check it out!

@JDEE0 You're right.  It was unfair to say that he's an HT money machine, especially when he recommended FUT to me.  I just thought that maybe FUT was more efficient for him/staff.  FUE is more revenue, but also more cost to him as well.  I will create a separate thread, now that I'm broken in here, and see what people say about my situation.

Thanks for the pointers!

If you don’t have confidence in the surgeon, choose someone else, pretty simple. You’re ill-informed and are spreading false information by saying he has techs do everything. The only thing technicians handle is the implantation of the grafts, which is the industry standard. As for the money issue, if he was in it for the money, he would focus solely on FUE, as it is vastly more expensive and is not as invasive as FUT which requires specialized staff that can sliver strip tissue. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Are you looking only in the US/Canada? Personally, I'm no fan of Diep at all.

For FUT, the best are Konior and Wong, again in my opinion. I believe Dr. Cooley and Dr. Bloxham would be excellent choices, too. If open to Europe, Bisanga and Lorenzo would be on my short list. 

Looking for US only.  Not single anymore, can't just take off for a couple of weeks on some medical vacation 🙂

So why are you not a fan of Diep.   Did you get work done by him?

@Melvin, I'm not spreading false information about Diep.  I'm just repeating what I learned on this site.  And of course if I'm not confident about going with Diep I'll find someone else, which is why I'm on this site.  To learn and make an informed and confident decision. 

I started reading this thread today.  It started out very negatively.  In fact he said half of his forehead was done by an experienced tech, the other half was like grapevine by a non-experienced tech.  The thread is a like novel.  I jump to the end and his result seems to look pretty good.   

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/57329-fue-experience-wdr-diep-mhta-clinic/

Then, there's this other novel of a thread, where he almost went to Diep but ended up with Shapiro.   Look forward to reading that whole thread too.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/58171-3332-fue-grafts-dr-ron-shapiro-dr-josephitis-smg/

• Administrators
1 hour ago, sbguy01 said:

Looking for US only.  Not single anymore, can't just take off for a couple of weeks on some medical vacation 🙂

@Melvin, I'm not spreading false information about Diep.  I'm just repeating what I learned on this site.  And of course if I'm not confident about going with Diep I'll find someone else, which is why I'm on this site.  To learn and make an informed and confident decision. 

I started reading this thread today.  It started out very negatively.  In fact he said half of his forehead was done by an experienced tech, the other half was like grapevine by a non-experienced tech.  The thread is a like novel.  I jump to the end and his result seems to look pretty good.   

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/57329-fue-experience-wdr-diep-mhta-clinic/

Then, there's this other novel of a thread, where he almost went to Diep but ended up with Shapiro.   Look forward to reading that whole thread too.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/58171-3332-fue-grafts-dr-ron-shapiro-dr-josephitis-smg/

If you read the thread I already explained the process. In fact, this poster had no clue about hair transplants. He went on to claim many things that surgeons here easily refuted. I find your posting habits very odd. Definitely seem like you’re pretending to be interested to disparage the surgeon. As I said, if you don’t care for his work choose someone else, but parroting misinformation posted by another misinformed patient is spreading misinformation. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, sbguy01 said:

Dude you've got like 3 posts all up as a forum user and yet you know (don') so much??? Hmmm?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

@motegamanyhow.. Getting back on topic, how is your research going ? 

@JohnAC71, it seems FUT is my best option. I lean towards Diep since he has a long history of good results (albeit with some controversy) and he lives right in my area. Healing from surgery while being on home turf eases a lot of the anxiety.

That being said, Bloxham is also another great option and I'm considering him greatly. His FUT scars are nearly invisible and his transparent honesty in his videos is extremely appealing. I just can't seem to figure out why Diep's results are more spectacular than Bloxham's, who seems to go for a more conservative approach to hair restoration. 

Ironically, Diep quoted me 2500 FUT while Bloxham quoted me 3000 FUT. So if anything, Diep is the conservative one in this situation. Not sure what to make of that. Perhaps Diep just has more experience eyeballing Asian hair from pictures (Bloxham's YT channel seems to only feature 1 Asian guy on it). 

Edit: Further thoughts seem to be I'd be rolling the dice with Diep, or I could go for the more conservative, consistent Bloxham.

Edited by motegam
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Either are very good options. Just that Diep is the much more experienced! And you will find much more results for him. Choose which is right for you. 

@JohnAC71 Yeah, Diep's experience and long history does not go unnoticed. Bloxham's partner is Feller, who seems to have been in the business for a long time as well. 

As of now, it seems the most critical information for my research is Diep's performance with FUT and his FUT scars. If Diep's FUT scars are within range of Bloxham's, then I'd be comfortable going forward with Diep. If not, then this is still a toss-up and I'll continue spending my work day considering the two of them haha. 

Edited by motegam
  • Like 1