2500 FUT - How many days before returning to work would you recommend?

Having procedure done on a Friday in Feb. How many days would you recommend taking off from work? Want to avoid being seen with a pink head on camera. I'll have the weekend but wondering if I should take Monday and Tuesday for more healing. Any recommendations?

Went w/ Bloxham and Feller.

Thanks and have a great day!

Don’t want to worry you but redness/pinkness can last a couple of weeks. Sometimes longer. It’s impossible to tell how long it will last, it Varys from person to person. I have always taken a couple of weeks off work when I have had my procedures. 

My redness took months because of my fair skin. I only rubbed aloe vera on once per day but it might have gone quicker if I did it multiple times per day, so definitely consider doing that......I went with Feller too by the way, all turned out great. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

I would advise to take two full weeks off.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah, you're not going to look normal for awhile.  The first two months won't be fun... be prepared for that. 

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I had a procedure with Bloxham early this year.  The pinkness lasted about 4 months to some extent, and gradually faded over that time.  My skin tone is relatively lighter, but wouldn't say I'm "fair-skinned."  I'd take off as much time as you are able to be honest.  It's definitely easier to hide on Zoom than in person if that's what your job currently entails, but even so it was still a few months before I could manage any type of "hiding" it at all, even on cam (not solely due to pinkness but also because they shave your hair, and you'll have shedding and perhaps shock loss, etc.).  Not trying to cause you any anxiety, but you should be aware and at least ready for that sort of time frame.  A hat could be a good option if you're able to wear one for work the first couple months.

• Like 1

In an ideal world, 4 months. It's just long enough where you may have some results, while most of your previous hairs are fully grown back. Any scarring from FUT, too, won't be noticeable.

In a realistic world, 4-5 weeks. Most people should be prepared to be open about their procedure when returning, unless they have the option of wearing a hat, which isn't the case for most professionals.

If it's a working from home-Zoom-Covid job/situation, 4-5 weeks, as lighting and very little concealer go a really long way. People won't notice a thing.

• Like 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all.

Should've clarified, I have limited PTO lol. If only I had a month haha. Yeah so my job is all virtual. I have to be on camera probably 10 times a month. It's inevitable that people will stare, people may have their little inside chuckles, I honestly don't care. I never see these people in real life except quarterly by choice with my boss and a couple colleagues - all guys. If they ask, I imagine my response to be "yeah I got some work done, was losing my hair, tried the bald look in college, didn't dig it so went with a HT." If they ask how much, I'm not going to comment on that - too much lol.

With that said, don't see the reason to waste my PTO just to hide. I'll suck it up. I'll take the following Monday off so I'll at least have 3 full days of healing. Just need to be able to put a headset on my head on Tuesday - assume that is okay. One of those one-ear skinny type ones.

Have a great day all!

I can also pull off a hat except for the once a month company meetings, would rather not there, but thinking about it, I'll probably give it a shot and see if I catch any flack for it. Doubt I will, I work my tail off for the company. They should be cool.

Edited by MikeJohnDaDon

Not to alarm you but you're not going to be feeling great three days post-op. I highly doubt you'll feel like doing much of anything let alone working 8 hrs a day. I've only had FUE and it has always taken a full 7-10 days before you start to feel normal again. Since you're going FUT it will be worse. You're going to be in pain, will have swelling setting in right on day 3/4, will get black and blue, then the itching and tingling will begin. It's not as benign as you may have think. Just be prepared. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

I appreciate the feedback. I’ll see if I can add a few more days of PTO but would rather not burn it just to heal from a surgery. May have to rough it out for a week. I got prescribed some drugs too but am not a fan of that. I’ll take ibuprofen or something.

• 4 months later...

I've had 2 FUT procedures performed (latest one was 1/24/22).  I started working again immediately the day after but I work virtually and without a camera.  

It's really important that you sleep sitting up the first 3 nights so that your face doesn't swell up as much.  The swelling is probably going to be the biggest risk to looking ridiculous on camera.  The second camera risk is the scabbing which should only be noticeable in the hairline and might be concealable if you keep your hair long.  The scabbing should mostly be gone by day 8 with proper post-op care.  

I'd suggest staying off camera for at least 5-7 days if you don't want people to notice anything and taking it easy for at least 4 days post-op.  Can you get away wearing a hat or maybe come up with a white lie for why you'd like to be off-camera for a couple of weeks?  Maybe it's "broken" or tell your boss that you had a medical procedure done and that you'd like to stay off camera for 2 weeks while recovering.    

Edited by Smolhouse

Yeah it's not going to look normal for a while. You will probably have some of your hairline shaved back as well. I'd say you're lucky that you only have to deal with virtual meetings though. You could probably get one of those $20 USB webcams that you attach to your computer which give you freedom where you want to angle the camera.