32 y/o NW2.5 - HLC 2500 graft HT scheduled for 10/2021 - Opinions?

Hello! I had an online consultation with HLC where they determined I would be a great candidate for a FUE procedure with an estimated 2500 grafts. High hairlines run in my family, but I have been receding since I was 19 or 20. It's not in a terrible place (I THINK its probably a NW2.5 with no crown thinning), but it feels like the recession is slow enough that a frontal lowering HT (conservatively) and rebuild of the temples could be successful for me. I've been on FIN for almost 6 years. I'm not really sure if I have thin or coarse hair. I've always considered in thick and coarse, but maybe its just thick. It's wavy, rough feeling, and requires very strong product (cement clay) to style. Any thoughts or opinions would be really appreciated.

Hair_front.thumb.jpg.34da33e97e30e17a04e04e25d2985e27.jpgHair_Back.thumb.jpg.d8ff169f6c3d640c4bdc6cadf15799bd.jpg742906704_Hair_Left(2).thumb.jpg.68092aabcfa978f6eba1e687b36dfd00.jpg1354914047_Hair_Right(2).thumb.jpg.0f80e903f2a0ed14a897ebfe7cd89c36.jpgHair_Top.thumb.jpg.4540d00e9cae67cb29b9ac3738da315c.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, y'all! For me, the left side being so uneven (or having recessed more quickly) is such a drag. I don't even necessarily want it lowered much as I'm used to the giant forehead, but having it closer to symmetrical would be such a relief.

• Like 1

Here's a photo from the front, so you can see the proportions of my face and what I mean by symmetry. I basically have to part my hair to that side. There are no other styles available with my symmetry.

<Photo removed for privacy>

Edited by CasuallyCopacetic

Almost identical hairline to me- same age as well- although I have mild thinning at the back.

HT is a personal choice at this point, I wear the fringe over my forehead though so I wouldn't consider one.

Good luck with it!

Edited by Ronnieman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

Almost identical hairline to me- same age as well- although I have mild thinning at the back.

HT is a personal choice at this point, I wear the fringe over my forehead though so I wouldn't consider one.

Good luck with it!

I wish I had the hair texture to make this work. When I leave my hair down, it's dry, wavy, and frizzy-ish. The "high and tight" with a long top won't work either because of the recession. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
16 hours ago, CasuallyCopacetic said:

Here's a photo from the front, so you can see the proportions of my face and what I mean by symmetry. I basically have to part my hair to that side. There are no other styles available with my symmetry.

hair.JPG.06e043883191682e2999a439504d64b0.JPG

Honestly, if you'd posted this picture in your initial thread and said "this is my 12 month HT progress picture", everyone would have been blown away at the density and naturalness of the hairline design. People would be falling over themselves to learn more about whatever clinic it was that did this!

2,500 grafts is quite a lot of grafts - I've been quoted 2500-3000 by Eugenix in India and I'm a very obvious Norwood 3+!! My hair loss is much, much, much more advanced than yours. We're not even on the same planet... So I'm not exactly sure what or where HLC would be intending to do with/put so many grafts given you've so little loss or issue but I'd be seriously mindful that you may wish you'd better used those precious grafts 10 or 15 years from now.

The lack of symmetry is something that literally no one else would ever notice except for you (and us given you've invited us to look closely at it!). If it's *really* bothering you that much, then you'll want to get several opinions and quotes so that you don't end up spending too many donor grafts which you may need later on. Better to use not enough on the first go and then get some remedial work done later, than spunk too many on the first pass and give yourself a problem down the line.

Truthfully though... Just don't even bother at this stage. You'd be the classic case of a guy who absolutely doesn't need a HT (at least not yet) who ignores everyone's advice and gets one anyway... Don't be that guy! :D

• Like 1

I agree with everyone else here. Save the grafts for a 'rainy day'.

You look as if you have a super dense head of hair. Hairline looks natural to me and not particularly high by any means.

In the meantime, get on a program for self preservation, ie Finasteride, Minoxidil, etc... I personally have used Finasteride and Minoxidil together for over 25 years and I can say with confidence at age 49 that not one single hair on my head has changed since I was 24.

1 hour ago, MazAB said:

In the meantime, get on a program for self preservation, ie Finasteride, Minoxidil, etc... I personally have used Finasteride and Minoxidil together for over 25 years and I can say with confidence at age 49 that not one single hair on my head has changed since I was 24.

I've been taking FIN for almost 6 years, and I think it's helped a little bit. Minoxidil has always felt like a tough option because my hair looks better dry and styled and MIN would add a wet, oily look.

8 minutes ago, CasuallyCopacetic said:

I've been taking FIN for almost 6 years, and I think it's helped a little bit. Minoxidil has always felt like a tough option because my hair looks better dry and styled and MIN would add a wet, oily look.

That is the one you want to be on if nothing else. I'd also take a good Multi vitamin for hair, and complement it with a Biotin supplement as well.

4 hours ago, CasuallyCopacetic said:

I wish I had the hair texture to make this work. When I leave my hair down, it's dry, wavy, and frizzy-ish. The "high and tight" with a long top won't work either because of the recession. 

I thought exactly this when I saw your pic. Very thick hair 

Mine is naturally quite thin in texture, and it's hard to style it in any way but messy. 

I suppose it's lucky for this hairline

20210728_120926.jpg.40773c008efc29e638b73655a8bb361d.jpg

I'm the one guy that will say go for it! I know that feeling... once it bothers you, it'll never not bother you.

That said, 2500 grafts is too high. HLC loves to dense pack. But in the spirit of saving your grafts for a possible second op later in life, I would wouldn't go over 1500 grafts. That would fill in your temples and bring the hairline down maybe 1/2 cm. 

Think on it!

• Moderators

A natural hairline always looks better than a transplanted one, so be careful about trying to improve a hair situation that already looks very good naturally.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Of course, I can see what is bothering you, but the issue is:

- You hair looks A-

- Even with a great clinic to achieve a result as dense and natural as your current one is very slim 

- If you achieve it, you go from A- to A --> A minor improvement only you will notify.

- There is a big chance you will look the same A- (lower, more even hairline, but less natural)

- I say the risk for failure (having a unnatural result which bring you to a B or C) is bigger than the chance for a success

2500 grafts is insanity by the way. If you cannot resist, go for a very small restoration of the left temple only: 300-500 Grafts. If this ends up great and you still think more is necessary, proceed from there. 

• Valued Contributor

As someone has already said, if it's bothering you, there's a reasonable chance you won't let this go.

That's fine, but please don't go getting 2,500 grafts. That's a mad amount of grafts for a bit of symmetry work. You can always get more done later, so start smaller and go from there.

Also, HLC aren't cheap. If you're willing to travel to Turkey to pay that amount, you might want to also talk to some of the top Belgian clinics and probably Dr Ball at the Maitland clinic as well. You're definitely going to want a few opinions on the graft count because 2,500 sounds absolutely wild. 

10 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

As someone has already said, if it's bothering you, there's a reasonable chance you won't let this go.

That's fine, but please don't go getting 2,500 grafts. That's a mad amount of grafts for a bit of symmetry work. You can always get more done later, so start smaller and go from there.

Also, HLC aren't cheap. If you're willing to travel to Turkey to pay that amount, you might want to also talk to some of the top Belgian clinics and probably Dr Ball at the Maitland clinic as well. You're definitely going to want a few opinions on the graft count because 2,500 sounds absolutely wild. 

Thanks for the response! I had two other consultations, including one at Hasson & Wong in Vancouver. Both of them told me 2000-2500 grafts to restore the hairline and temple region, so maybe I have fine hair that necessitates additional grafts for good density? Either way, I will definitely take all of this feedback to the doctor. 

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, CasuallyCopacetic said:

Thanks for the response! I had two other consultations, including one at Hasson & Wong in Vancouver. Both of them told me 2000-2500 grafts to restore the hairline and temple region, so maybe I have fine hair that necessitates additional grafts for good density? Either way, I will definitely take all of this feedback to the doctor. 

When you say 'temple region', are you referring to the temple points? Because if you lowered the hairline a little, filling in the problem side AND had temple point work done, then I can understand how you might start to get to the 2K range.

18 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

When you say 'temple region', are you referring to the temple points? Because if you lowered the hairline a little, filling in the problem side AND had temple point work done, then I can understand how you might start to get to the 2K range.

Yes, that’s how I interpreted it. I can’t imagine the lowering would be anything but conservative. I’m not trying to look 17 over here.