Any Canadians fly to India for a HT with Eugenix?

Hi folks,

I'm close to making my booking and would love to ask some travel-related questions to any Canadians here who went with Eugenix for a transplant. All cards on the table, this will be my first time flying for a surgery and I'm a touch nervous about a few things including; carrying lots of money on my person, arranging the timing of flights + surgery, and getting the Covid paperwork sorted out and any visa paperwork.

Would love to chat with someone who flew from Canada for a surgery. Also wondering if people recommend staying an extra day to relax? As in fly down, have surgery, then have another full day to rest before leaving the following morning? Thanks.

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal

I'm curious as well for the US. My booking with Eugenix is in March 2022, so I still have tons of time ahead of me. My sales consultant, Abhinay, mentioned that things are starting to ease up a bit in India. Most patients are successfully booking with Medical Visas, but there's also a good chance you may not need a Medical Visa if you're scheduled for end of year or beginning of 2022. When is your surgery scheduled?

Also, if you don't want to get the blood work done in Canada prior to surgery, you could arrive a day or 2 earlier and have Eugenix complete the blood work that is necessary. (Presurgery blood tests: Hb, TLC, DLC, Platelets, Prothrombin time, HBsAg, Anti-HCV, HIV 1&2, Random Blood Sugar, HbA1c. And BP measurement)

In my case insurance does not cover that blood work so there would be an out of pocket cost for me. Having it done at Eugenix for me would be both convenient and more cost effective, so that may be another thing to consider. I also like the idea of settling in for a day or two and calming my nerves before the procedure as well. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I know some American patients have gone recently to Eugenix. Visas are getting hard to come by though. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hello,

I'm trying to get there beginning of august. I just applied for an E-visa, hopefully it works! I was talking to someone at the Chicago consulate to get me a Visa and they were giving me a firm 'No'.

Hopefully this way works :)

• Like 1

Awesome to hear guys. I just booked Eugenix for end of November, two day surgery. I am already feeling the butterflies haha.

I have no idea how medical visas work as I've never had to get one, so it's time to start reading. If anyone else has thoughts on the questions I posed in the initial post let me know. I'm specifically curious about staying the extra day or if most folks find it's better to just bail and start the long trek home.

• Like 1

My plan is to stay until the head wash on day 7. Number 1 priority for me is to be extra careful after the surgery and stay away from potentially harmful elements. A plane were you could easily bang your head or have some idiot drop their luggage on top of you from the over head compartment. I think the first 7 days are so crucial, it's worth the extra time and money to stay. Having them do the first hair wash vs the patient is highly beneficial at that stage as well. My job is remote, so I plan on working remotely as well so as to not burn away all my vacation time.

• Like 1

So by the looks of it, you'll be staying in India for 9 days? You mentioned in your earlier post you're going up a day or two earlier for the bloodwork. That's a long trip haha!

But it is a good point about the airport risks. Right now I'm thinking of staying at least 1 extra day, maybe a second one to give the grafts time to properly anchor. I've had a HT before so I'm comfortable doing my own head wash.

Also, awkward question here for anyone who can answer - how do people manage the money? Just carry it in cash on their person? If I pay by credit card there's a 2.7% charge. How do folks usually manage this aspect of an international HT?

• Administrators

One sure way to get medical visa approved is to get your therapist that hair loss is causing depression. It’s not a lie. For many of us, at least for me, it caused depression.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, rob7331 said:

Also, awkward question here for anyone who can answer - how do people manage the money? Just carry it in cash on their person? If I pay by credit card there's a 2.7% charge. How do folks usually manage this aspect of an international 

Eugenix will allow you to partially pay for the procedure with cash. I believe up to a couple of grand you can pay with cash, and the remaining would have to be money transfer or credit card. I personally will pay as much in cash as I can than put the rest on a credit card. Paying extra to have it on a credit card in my opinion is well worth it since you are insured to disputing if you ever needed to. Although with Eugenix I doubt it would ever come to that, but it's generally a good practice to pay for these procedures with a credit card so you can have an action of recourse should you need it.

• Like 2

Folks, I just finished my HT in Eugenix and am back in the US. Thought I'll weigh in with my opinion.

On 7/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, rob7331 said:

carrying lots of money on my person

The law says you shouldn't carry more than US$5,000 in cash PLUS US$ 5,000 in travelers check by law. I recommend using third party transfer sites to do pre-payment in advance to avoid carrying cash. In parts or full. If you are, I highly recommend Remitly and NOT Xoom (By Paypal). I tried both ad Xoom asks for a bunch of extra documentation. Time to transfer is 4 days end to end.

arranging the timing of flights + surgery

Arrive T-2 Day evening. This will give you time to relax, get your blood work done at Eugenix (T-1 Day) and your surgery on the D Day. When they do the blood-work, depending on your departure date, ask for COVID test to be done as well as you need that to get back.

Covid paperwork sorted out

To India - It's painless. COVID test taken 72 hours or less before travel (NOT 3 days, 72 hours!), Letter from Eugenix and the acknowledgement

from the AirSuvidha portal where you upload all this.

To US - COVID test, declarations are done as part of the airline check-in process

visa paperwork

e-Visas and Medical Visas ARE being issued. I wouldn't say they are painless but not too much hassle. I could hear/see a lot of activity in Eugenix around this and as always, the super helpful folks there were coordinating with patients and consulates to make it painless. If you plan i advance, I don't think you'll face too much of a hassle...

Also wondering if people recommend staying an extra day to relax?

YES!! I highly recommend flying out AFTER 48 hours of surgery. As per Dr Arika Bansal, the recipient area heals in 2 days. I would say 7 days is an overkill but I can see the merits of doing that i terms of risk reduction. I didn't have the luxury of time so instead booked business class for return.

Also, the surgery MAY NOT BE done inn one day. Eugenix/Dr Bansal is very thorough and meticulous. It took 2 sittings for me for 2589 grafts as they were slow and sure. Which is what you want!

On 7/13/2021 at 5:56 PM, MazAB said:

In my case insurance does not cover that blood work so there would be an out of pocket cost for me

THIS! I was quoted around $400 for all the tests. I paid INR 3,000 (Approx $40) plus it was super convenient; the lab sent someone to my hotel room to take the blood and emailed me my reports!

On 7/16/2021 at 1:45 PM, MazAB said:

My plan is to stay until the head wash on day 7. Number 1 priority for me is to be extra careful after the surgery and stay away from potentially harmful elements. A plane were you could easily bang your head or have some idiot drop their luggage on top of you from the over head compartment. I think the first 7 days are so crucial, it's worth the extra time and money to stay. Having them do the first hair wash vs the patient is highly beneficial at that stage as well. My job is remote, so I plan on working remotely as well so as to not burn away all my vacation time.

You are spot on. I thought about this as well (I stayed for 2 days)Even with all the precautions i took and despite having a secluded, flat pseudo cabin for the return flight, I could hardly sleep because of paranoia. If you can do this, then why not!

Other comments/tips:

1. Take a bunch of button downs as you don't want the tee's/polos scraping the spot accidentally when you wear them.

2. Keep a 100 Ml (3 Oz) spritz bottle with you as a travel/TSA friendly saline spray option

3. The >100 Ml saline bottles are allowed through security checks/TSA with a doctors note IF they are sealed and labeled. They let the sealed bottle through but a larger spritz bottle I had with no label on it was not let through.

4. Travel pillow helps to ensure you don't roll over in sleep. Not just while traveling but even on your hotel bed!

More details and progress updates on my dedicated post, if you guys are interested. Let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck!

• Like 5

Hi folks,

I'm close to making my booking and would love to ask some travel-related questions to any Canadians here who went with Eugenix for a transplant. All cards on the table, this will be my first time flying for a surgery and I'm a touch nervous about a few things including; carrying lots of money on my person, arranging the timing of flights + surgery, and getting the Covid paperwork sorted out and any visa paperwork.

Would love to chat with someone who flew from Canada for a surgery. Also wondering if people recommend staying an extra day to relax? As in fly down, have surgery, then have another full day to rest before leaving the following morning? Thanks.

I have travelled to over 70+ countries in my days, and the best thing you can do is hire a bilingual guide who speaks good English.  Bring this guy with you wherever you go and this will greatly make your trip much easier.  Also make sure you pay him well, dont go cheap.  In many 3rd world countries this wont cost you more than a few hundred bucks tacked onto your trip.

India is not really a 3rd world country, but you should be able to still get a guide for relatively cheap.

Maybe ask Eugenix if they can hook you up with someone??

18 hours ago, deeznuts said:

Did you have any issues leaving Canada? Just wondering if there are any hoops you have to jump through to leave the country or reenter the country as a Canadian citizen

Sorry if I wasn't clearer; I traveled from the US. o issues leaving or returning; pretty smooth.

3 hours ago, Westview said:

I have traveled to over 70+ countries in my days, and the best thing you can do is hire a bilingual guide who speaks good English.  Bring this guy with you wherever you go and this will greatly make your trip much easier.  Also make sure you pay him well, dont go cheap.  In many 3rd world countries this wont cost you more than a few hundred bucks tacked onto your trip.

India is not really a 3rd world country, but you should be able to still get a guide for relatively cheap.

Maybe ask Eugenix if they can hook you up with someone??

While it's a great idea (I remember doing this for almost the entirety of our Peru trip ad was so worth it!) I think it;s an overkill if you are going with Eugenix. They have multiple folks who speak perfect English available throughout. Esp during the airport-hotel trips etc.

@rishibostonian Thank you so much, wow - fantastic information. I'll be saving this for when I go in late November. I hope it's okay but I may reach out in a pm to get your advice on my 'itinerary' to see if everything checks out. I've had a HT before and I've flown internationally from Canada several times, but I've never traveled for a surgery and it seems daunting getting all the pieces lined up. Your post really helped to clear up a lot of stuff for me however so thanks again!

Edited by rob7331

6 hours ago, rob7331 said:

@rishibostonian Thank you so much, wow - fantastic information. I'll be saving this for when I go in late November. I hope it's okay but I may reach out in a pm to get your advice on my 'itinerary' to see if everything checks out. I've had a HT before and I've flown internationally from Canada several times, but I've never traveled for a surgery and it seems daunting getting all the pieces lined up. Your post really helped to clear up a lot of stuff for me however so thanks again!

Absolutely! Good luck with everything and ping me anytime! 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello @rishibostonian

I am sure you are happy with the results. I am curious to know how much did they charge you per graft cost at Eugenix(Dr. bansal)? Please message in private if you want or post here. Much appreciated.

1st sitting ~4500-5000 grafts (FUT+FUE+chest), 1st June 2021, India

2nd sitting, FUE ~2850 grafts implanted for crown(primary concern), March 2023

2 hours ago, deadman said:

Hello @rishibostonian

I am sure you are happy with the results. I am curious to know how much did they charge you per graft cost at Eugenix(Dr. bansal)? Please message in private if you want or post here. Much appreciated.

you should google it. i know eugenix is transparent with their pricing

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 3:54 AM, deadman said:

On 8/22/2021 at 6:49 AM, deeznuts said:

Correct. They are really transparent and the details are here: https://www.eugenixglobal.com/hair-transplant-cost/

The Super Premium package (Edit: Changed from Exclusive) package that I went for is no longer in there.

I would recommend reaching out to their rep(s) for more details...

Edited by rishibostonian

43 minutes ago, rishibostonian said:

Correct. They are really transparent and the details are here: https://www.eugenixglobal.com/hair-transplant-cost/

The exclusive package that I went for is no longer in there.

I would recommend reaching out to their rep(s) for more details...

Thanks so much. Yeah I will reach out to them, if it works out.

BTW while choosing Eugenix for yourselves, this question might came to your mind as well so asking you

Despite the google and FB reviews, I see bad ratings on

https://www.ambitionbox.com/reviews/eugenix-hair-transplant-science-reviews

https://www.mouthshut.com/product-reviews/Eugenix-Hair-Sciences-reviews-925978303

What's your take on that?

1st sitting ~4500-5000 grafts (FUT+FUE+chest), 1st June 2021, India

2nd sitting, FUE ~2850 grafts implanted for crown(primary concern), March 2023

31 minutes ago, deadman said:

Thanks so much. Yeah I will reach out to them, if it works out.

BTW while choosing Eugenix for yourselves, this question might came to your mind as well so asking you

Despite the google and FB reviews, I see bad ratings on

https://www.ambitionbox.com/reviews/eugenix-hair-transplant-science-reviews

https://www.mouthshut.com/product-reviews/Eugenix-Hair-Sciences-reviews-925978303

What's your take on that?

I did see these shared by someone else AFTER I booked. But didn't sway me much. A big chunk were employee reviews and non-surgical/transplant procedure reviews. Of the relevant ones; I trusted the non-anonymous, detailed and peer reviewed reviews on this forum more than those.

During/Post; I haven't gotten anythiong other than the best service from Eugenix. Period.

Of course, I may change my opinion based on how successful the procedure itself is; but that's 11 months from now

• Like 2