Have I been over harvested?

Hi all,

long time lurker looking for some advice.

I had FUE surgery last year, I have some concerns with how my donor area has grown back.

I have attached some pictures of the extractions a few days after surgery.

Based on the extraction pattern, I would very much appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could advise if they feel this has been overharvested?

At this stage I do not wish to share the name of the doctor, this is purely to enable totally unbiased opinion from you gentleman.

Thank you in advance

F5E1D5C3-7E07-4930-ACEA-9988BB829B28.jpeg

DFCA61FC-541D-48D1-B88E-71A50E165FD7.jpeg

DD1B681E-27F0-4669-8C9F-EEB38E38C309.jpeg

756188C6-A81C-4FD3-BB49-A8021AFD12D2.jpeg

Do you have any pictures of it grown out? it's impossible to say really without seeing it after say, 6 - 8 months or so, as I personally think that if it's still patchy/visibly lacking density after this timeframe then it's most definitely going to be a case of over-harvesting than simply shock-loss. 

I assume it is obviously looking patchy as you have said you're concerned about your donor, and it must have also been at least 6 months since the surgery since you said it was last year, so it very well may be over harvesting in my opinion unfortunately.

As far as the extractions go, it doesn't look awful, but I'm not the biggest fan of it based off of your pictures - seems like some of the punches were taken a bit too close together to me and have almost formed sort of rows or lines if you see what I'm saying as a result.

Edited by JDEE0

Thanks for the feedback.

as mentioned, I don’t wish to name the Dr as I want fully unbiased opinions and do not wish to influence any responses.

pictures of donor attached as requested 

A3D61F6D-34FA-402A-88FD-A54582B58050.jpeg

@Melvin- Moderator I would really appreciate your thoughts given your extensive knowledge. Thank you

Edited by Hairloss2021nomore
Tagging mods

• Administrators

It doesn’t look too bad to me, a little patchy, but I wouldn’t say it’s overharvested. Every FUE patient can tell a difference in certain angles. Im curious to see the other side and the back.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It doesn’t look too bad to me, a little patchy, but I wouldn’t say it’s overharvested. Every FUE patient can tell a difference in certain angles. Im curious to see the other side and the back.

Thanks for the response @Melvin- Moderator

as request- other side and back pictures 

given that you note it is “patchy”, and I’m over 6 months post FUE, what makes you say it’s not over harvesting?

I appreciate that FUE is always going to leave its mark in some way but at what point does it become classed as over harvested?

(also appreciate that there is a difference between minor over harvesting and major over harvesting)

thanks

E3834920-A4CC-4E1A-9DAC-48A0FA580F0F.jpeg

C7331008-5AB7-4425-8698-66CF6E55C506.jpeg

• Administrators

I think it looks okay. Not fantastic, others scar better, but not bad either.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

It certainly isn't over-harvested to a terrible degree that has left tracts of scar tissue all joined together like you see a lot of the time from really bad surgeries, but I would have to respectfully disagree with Melvin a little and argue that it is an overall poorly planned extraction that for whatever reason has left you with undeniable patchy areas in your donor. 

I would hazard a guess that your hair wasn't super dense before the surgery to be fair (could be wrong?) and so that may have contributed, but either way planning should take this into account and I wouldn't really expect to see any signs of over harvesting from a reputable doctor.

If I was you I would get some opinions from some really high level surgeons and see what their take is.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Marko7t4 said:

What grade are you shaving the sides of your head?

Grade 2 however the patchy appearance is visible at grade 4

I have seen other results with similar donor issues from the same Dr which prompted my cause for concern.

I was advised during my procedure that my donor area was strong so definitely was not thin prior to surgery 

pic of donor pre surgery attached 

75E2E723-7F66-4BD4-9528-5F024B0ED479.jpeg

Added donor pic

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Classygentleman said:

@Melvin- Moderator

It would be great to understand when a donor is classed as over harvested as opposed to patchy?

Here you go 

3D3F4408-9674-4003-BBDB-3C84EDDC06D3.jpeg

• Like 2

View my thread

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Hairloss2021nomore said:

Grade 2 however the patchy appearance is visible at grade 4

I have seen other results with similar donor issues from the same Dr which prompted my cause for concern.

I was advised during my procedure that my donor area was strong so definitely was not thin prior to surgery 

pic of donor pre surgery attached 

75E2E723-7F66-4BD4-9528-5F024B0ED479.jpeg

Well, you have to understand that surgery permanently removes hair from your donor and relocates that hair to the top. You can’t expect to look exactly the same. It’s not realistic. FUE in essence thins out your donor, that is a fact. If someone can’t accept this fact, they shouldn’t get surgery. 

My donor is similar to yours, lower density is a reality to surgery.DB54C922-8808-4B1A-B325-4B727E318520.jpeg

View my thread

47 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Well, you have to understand that surgery permanently removes hair from your donor and relocates that hair to the top. You can’t expect to look exactly the same. It’s not realistic. FUE in essence thins out your donor, that is a fact. If someone can’t accept this fact, they shouldn’t get surgery. 

My donor is similar to yours, lower density is a reality to surgery.DB54C922-8808-4B1A-B325-4B727E318520.jpeg

Thanks @Melvin- Moderator

I appreciate your response and input. Whilst I fully appreciate taking hair from one area And moving it to another, there will always be some form of tell-tale sign so to speak.

My concern is largely based on the fact that My decision to go with a reputable surgeon was focused primarily on results and donor management. Having seen hundreds of results on this forum, it is clear to me that many individuals obtain great results with much less obvious signs of a transplant.

I think the general consensus is that my donor area was not particularly well planned out in terms of the extraction plan. As a result, this has left me with a patchy appearance on one side- Your exact words were it’s not fantastic.

My concerns are further compounded by the fact there are a number of other patients from the same doctor I visited also experiencing patchy donor to areas and late growth.

as I mentioned earlier, I have not yet named the surgeon as I did not want this thread to be focused on the surgeon, more around my result. The surgeon is however a recommended surgeon on this forum

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Hairloss2021nomore said:

I appreciate your response and input. Whilst I fully appreciate taking hair from one area And moving it to another, there will always be some form of tell-tale sign so to speak.

My concern is largely based on the fact that My decision to go with a reputable surgeon was focused primarily on results and donor management. Having seen hundreds of results on this forum, it is clear to me that many individuals obtain great results with much less obvious signs of a transplant.

I think the general consensus is that my donor area was not particularly well planned out in terms of the extraction plan. As a result, this has left me with a patchy appearance on one side- Your exact words were it’s not fantastic.

My concerns are further compounded by the fact there are a number of other patients from the same doctor I visited also experiencing patchy donor to areas and late growth.

as I mentioned earlier, I have not yet named the surgeon as I did not want this thread to be focused on the surgeon, more around my result. The surgeon is however a recommended surgeon on this forum

No two people scar the same, that’s a fact. While I can appreciate you seeing other patients with less signs of surgery, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will look the same. Scarring is a part of getting a hair transplant. It’s not like there is one surgeon with a magic wand able to get no scars. Some patients scar very well. Others, okay, and others pretty bad. 

Truthfully, I would put your scarring as average. Not fantastic, but not over-harvested. Keep in mind this photo you posted your hair is a lot longer, so it’s not a fair comparison at all. I would wager your hair would look the same if you grow it out that long.
image.jpeg

I’m unclear if you’re seeking opinions and genuine feedback, or searching for confirmation bias. If the surgeon is recommended here, we have no problems with that at all. Expectations fall short all the time, these are the realities of surgery. We don’t hide this fact here.

View my thread

• Administrators

I will add also, that hair growth is dependent on the individual, not the surgeon. Some grow quicker than others. It is not like you can go to one surgeon and grow fully in 6 months and another 12 months. It doesn’t work that way.

View my thread

Extractions are definately too close together, but all you can do is wait 12 months and see how it looks.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m unclear if you’re seeking opinions and genuine feedback, or searching for confirmation bias. If the surgeon is recommended here, we have no problems with that at all. Expectations fall short all the time, these are the realities of surgery. We don’t hide this fact here.

I appreciate you allowing open dialogue on the forum.

I am genuinely seeking feedback from the members here, who’s feedback I have listened to for so many years- that’s the reason I joined forums such as this. Real people and real results- good and bad

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Hairloss2021nomore said:

I appreciate you allowing open dialogue on the forum.

I am genuinely seeking feedback from the members here, who’s feedback I have listened to for so many years- that’s the reason I joined forums such as this. Real people and real results- good and bad

To me it doesn't look too bad, but what I'd say is you need to get someone to take a bunch of photos for you rather than trying yourself to capture those difficult behind the head shots. Get lots of good angles and different lighting (I find when I take photos of my own head indoors in the evening with the lights on, it often makes my hair density look like a disaster and gives a much worse impression than the reality, for eg). That way it'll be easier for people to make an assessment. You also mentioned that your donor area looks over-harvested even with your back and sides buzzed to a grade four? If that's the case, you'll also need to send photos with your hair at differing lengths as obviously the shorter you go, the thinner it will look. I appreciate that taking more photos and also waiting until your hair is grown will mean it will be longer before you get some answers, but I think that's going to really help get a more accurate assessment.

From pictures I've seen, when someone's donor area has been over-harvested, it's often quite noticeable even with longer back and sides. Some people can get away with a really short 0/0.5/1 grade without it really being obvious, others need it slightly longer. But if you have been over harvested, longer hair will really expose it. From the pictures you've sent so far, it looks borderline - not too bad, a bit patchy and probably nothing than 99% of people would even notice, but probably more patchy than what most people might hope for or be content with. So I totally understand your concern. Better pics will make things clearer.

Cheers

I can kinda relate to OP. I felt that way when I got FUE, but I got over it. There is a certain angle and a certain length of hair that will expose your FUE procedure. Only you know that. It will be impossible for the people who are in your daily life to even notice anything. Even if you took a photo from that ankle (just like what you did here), it still hard to tell. I had my wife take a photo of the back of my head 2 weeks post op and my donor looked good on the photo and I asked her if the photo is really what she sees in person and she said “yes.” However if i looked in the wall mirror and used a hand held mirror to get a closer look, it will definitely look like something got done. People aint gonna look at your donor the way how you look at your donor.