10 Month Results

Guys,

Since Dr. Alexander's advice was to wait a couple more months giving some of the transplanted hair just starting to come in a chance to mature, I'm not sure why we are judging this as a "result".

A note about determining poor, average, and excellent results in general, unrelated to the above:

Unit of measurement for gauging a result is everything. For instance, if you evenly distribute 3000 grafts over a level 5A on the Norwood scale, most would argue that even with maximum growth that the result is below average. That's because our standard unit of measurement is our expectations of what we'd like to see achieved. In most cases, this unit of measurement is unrealistic since all of us would like to achieve a full head of hair. But as we know, this isn't realistic to expect with hair transplant surgery.

However, if the unit of measurement changes to what can realistically be expected for that degree of baldness with only 3000 grafts, the result changes to excellent (assuming hair growth yield is optimal and it looks natural).

If we're talking strictly about growth yield and naturalness, then we'd gauge a result simply based on measuring the percentage of growth and eyeballing a result based on our expectations. But if you take into consideration the number of grafts/hairs, area of baldness to be covered, position and placement of the grafts, hair characteristics, scalp/hair color ratio, and density, then there's a lot more to evaluate.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what will happen after he has waited a few months and still doesnt have the results that he paid for. Its quite clear to see that hes not going to get much more of a result.

The docs always say wait a few more months.

At the moment he doesnt seem to have much more hair than before the HT.

Sparky,

I think you need to read what I wrote a few posts ago.

If at the time of maturation, TTP's results are less than optimal, I'm sure Dr. Alexander will stand behind his patient and help him meet his goals. Of course, it will then be up to TTP as to what he wants to do.

"The docs always say wait a few more months"

They certainly do when it's appropriate. TTP is only 10 months post-op and just about everyone knows by now (and even proclaims it on other threads) that the final evaluation of a result should be reserved for the one year mark.

Regards,

Bill

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back! I just wanted to let everyone know that I've started a new thread and updated my blog.

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

just my two cents, but that seems like an unfortunate result. I could understand if the lack of density if the grafts were spread to the top and crown. but, the area of transplant wasn't so large not to have expected a better outcome. if I were you, I'd be counting the days until I could have a 2nd HT as I don't there's any turning back once you've headed down this path.

Hey ttp,

I feel for you bro. I'm going through the same sh... Do people look at your head and know something is going on up there? Or,Are you just unhappy because you were expecting a better result? I'm asking because I've had a bad Ht, and can't stand the funny looks I receive. I would much rather prefer my old receding look to my new artificial look. What are your thoughts?

Ya, TTP received a natural result, and an improvement, his expectations were simply not met in large part due to yield. I'm happy though that he is in a better place than he was pre-op, though, and is positioned well to get a top turn-around with one more procedure.

John, sorry you still seem dissatisfied with your HT. Maybe do an update, new thread or your old one to see what's what and get a lot of objective feedback -- I'll help you out with pics again, if need be.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Yes, I've maintained all along that my results are look perfectly natural. Because of that and and the undesirable density, not one my my long time friends has even registered a change in me. I figure I got back what I had about 8 to 10 years ago. About 4 or 5 years ago I began buzzing my hair down to between a 0 and 3 so I think people just think that I've grown it back out now. I've also told my dermatologist and a handful of hairstylists in the past few months and they all seem very surprised and say they would never have known.

Of course, there's a positive and a negative side to this. After a hair transplant I think we'd all like people to recognize that there's been a positive change in your appearance but maybe not be able to put their finger on it.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Originally posted by Slaps:

I'd give anything to look as I did prior to HTs. My heart sinks every time some one looks up at my forehead. And i've no confidence at all.

My life is wrecked.

Slaps what are your circumstances? Can you post some photos? You might be able to get a repair done and feel better about yourself.

[quote

Slaps what are your circumstances? Can you post some photos? You might be able to get a repair done and feel better about yourself.

Been there, done that. I'm not interested in posting pics, my hair looks ok in 2D. I'm just here to say I regret having a HT. It does'nt look natural in the flesh, i'm terrified of losing more hair, im sick of taking medication and getting funny looks, snide remarks and collectively this has badly affected my confidence and health.

I'm sure there are plenty who will say they are happy with HT's, however, im not, and I hope my presence on this forum serves to provide would be HT patients with additional research material and a pause for thought.

Slaps,

I understand your reluctance to post photos. As you said, "been there, done that." However, if you really want your presence here to have an impact, I'd urge you to post pics or, even better, create a blog and add to the collective knowledge of the group.

Transplants are a bit of a wildcard. We hedge our bets by doing our research, sharing experiences and choosing our doctors wisely but still there are no guarantees.

It's no secret that I've been less than satisfied with the density of my first HT but, fortunately for me, my results look completely natural. In fact, my family is constantly amazed that I'm not satisfied right now but they don't really know the full potential of a good HT and what my goals are. I have the exact opposite problem as you. My hair looks much better in person than it does in photos.

Just last night I was out with a couple of friends that I've rarely seen over the past ten years. During much of that time I had been buzzing my hair down pretty tight. Now that it is grown out, they had no idea that anything had changed. In other words, they didn't really perceive any great improvement in the way they remembered me looking ten years ago but nothing seemed amiss or strange to them either. Halfway through the evening I decided to tell them about my procedure and they were surprised and very interested in the details but never gave me any indication that they thought it was weird.

Getting the first HT was a difficult decision because I knew there was no going back. Shaving my head in the future would be off the table and I'd be putting it on a credit card and paying it off for a long time to come but I was miserable and really hated buzzing my hair and wearing hats so I found my doc and forged ahead with it and, even though it didn't provide the results I wanted and I'm now planning number two, I'm convinced it was the right decision.

Slaps, you got a raw deal and no one's going to be able to restore your head to its former condition or reimburse you for the astronomical cost involved but you still have options. You have every right to be suspicious of the industry now but there are doctors here that can help you. All is not lost. If you have not done so, please line up some consultations and at least find out what your options are. Keep us informed. We are here to support you.

Best of luck,

TTP

• 11 months later...

TTP,

I noticed on your page that the docs pics of your first HT look amazing. Unfortunately, your personal pics did not look amazing (but still a great improvement.

This gives me a little pause about physician posted pics. Makes me worry a little because I get more serious about "taking the plunge" every day. I have a couple g's saved up. :)

I don't know....it is nothing against the doc....just the thought of me not getting good results physically turns my stomach. You may be familiar that I have a scalp condition...CVG....basically a wrinkled head, that is now covered by hair....if I loose it in the future I don't KNOW that the hair will take there...even tho a few docs said they didn;t think there would be a problem.

Anyway....just venting.

On a positive note....I am a NW 2.5 and am 32 and just started fin 5 months ago...when I shaved my head I did not see any more minituration and doc did a virtual consult on me and he told me he doubted very much that I would ever be "real" bald because at my age he had never seen anyone with MPB go from where I was to NW 5 for example....so I think my longer term prognosis is pretty good....I hope (as I cross my fingers and tap my heals together.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

By the way, you are miles away from where you started.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

It can be really difficult to assess hair transplant results solely from photos. That's why it's always a good idea to meet some patients in person if possible. When taking my own photos, I always strive for consistency in lighting and I always shoot my hair in its natural state with no products or styling of any kind. For me, I want to see what my hair looks like naturally. When Dr. Alexander took those photos, he carefully combed my hair in a manner that he felt it would look best. There's nothing wrong with that and it did make my hair look better as you can see. The thing is, that was not a desirable look for me and I was hoping for better styling options.

After my second procedure, I'm extremely happy. The lower hairline is much more in tune with what I had wanted and the density is much better.

Another phenomenon that I've noticed in photos is that my crown looks much balder on camera than it does in person. It's as if the camera sees through the thinner parts. And that's with no flash by the way.

You've been diligently researching and I'm sure when you do finally take that plunge, you'll do so with 100% confidence.

My only regret is that I waited so long. I love my new hair!

All the best,

Edited by TakingThePlunge

wb280,

Thanks! I appreciate the support. I'm sure you'll be thrilled when all is said and done. You chose a great doc!

Wow, OK. I just chronologically researched your whole journey from beginning to end. Your hair looks really good! I was confused at first because I didn't realize how old the first post in this thread was, and couldn't figure out why you wouldn't like your hair, but then I realized that the pics I was looking at were the newer ones, the post-transplant #2 pics. The second HT really pulled it all together. I also noticed that you have lots of density on your sides/rear area, therefore if you wanted to go even further, you could do so without to much trouble I think. So all in all, it looks like you're in great shape! Congrats!

I do want to see what's up with Slaps, though. However bad it is, it can almost always be fixed with some laser techniques and a good FUE transplant form a skilled doc. There's no reason to go through life hating yourself; you're never that trapped.

OtherSyde,

Thanks! Yeah, I can't believe when I look back at my first hair transplant after one year vs. my hair now. I'm really very happy. Just hoping my crown holds out for a few more years.

• 2 months later...

aseda1979,

Yes, I'm very happy with my results after my second procedure. April 26th is the one year anniversary of my second hair transplant and I plan to post pics at that time.

Thanks for the comment!