Would you go FUE for a nw 6?

• Administrators

Yes, and I did

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Depending on the strength of your donor, it is definitely a viable option for some candidates! 

To give you an idea of what is possible these days . . Have a look at Dr Zarev’s NW6 transformations. They all likely have above average donor’s, however the results are truly outstanding and have all been via FUE

Dr Lorenzo has also had some very impressive 3 step restorations on NW6’s vía FUE - he has a few cases on YouTube. 

• Like 1

I feel like fue is probably happening either way. From what I've read, the ideal approach to higher NWs would be FUE + FUT. So this would be FUE vs FUE + FUT

Would I incorporate FUT as a NW6? Probably yeah, repairing a NW6 is expensive I'd imagine so if it means cutting costs while eating a bit of discomfort then yeah I'm down. Better than cutting costs in other ways I'd imagine

2 hours ago, deeznuts said:

I feel like fue is probably happening either way. From what I've read, the ideal approach to higher NWs would be FUE + FUT. So this would be FUE vs FUE + FUT

Would I incorporate FUT as a NW6? Probably yeah, repairing a NW6 is expensive I'd imagine so if it means cutting costs while eating a bit of discomfort then yeah I'm down. Better than cutting costs in other ways I'd imagine

Well yeah, i think we can all agree when it comes to maximizing your lifetime yield there’s more people in favor of combining both methods.. but i was curious how successful a patient could be with fue alone as a Norwood 6. To avoid a strip scar 

2 hours ago, James C said:

Well yeah, i think we can all agree when it comes to maximizing your lifetime yield there’s more people in favor of combining both methods.. but i was curious how successful a patient could be with fue alone as a Norwood 6. To avoid a strip scar 

I think another great example is Eugenix work with @Zoomster in which 7,000 total grafts were extracted (5,600 scalp and 1,400 beard). He was slick bald NW6+ with average donor at best. Check out his 15 month results on page 19.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, James C said:

Could you share how your crown looks as is? Why did you chose fue as a nw6?

I’ve shared it with you quite a few times. We’ve even exchanged conversations on PM two years ago about the same topic. At some point, you have to decide for yourself. 

best wishes,

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’ve shared it with you quite a few times. We’ve even exchanged conversations on PM two years ago about the same topic. At some point, you have to decide for yourself. 

best wishes,

My apologies for not recalling a conversation we had 2 years ago.

i just re-read what we touched on. No further explanation on this topic needed brother.  

Edited by James C

4 hours ago, SLA said:

I think another great example is Eugenix work with @Zoomster in which 7,000 total grafts were extracted (5,600 scalp and 1,400 beard). He was slick bald NW6+ with average donor at best. Check out his 15 month results on page 19.

His results came out amazing for where he began. I wonder why more doctors don’t go the Fue + beard grafts route. If you can grab another 1000 grafts from the beard it makes up for the extra you could get with combining fut and fue.

20 minutes ago, James C said:

His results came out amazing for where he began. I wonder why more doctors don’t go the Fue + beard grafts route. If you can grab another 1000 grafts from the beard it makes up for the extra you could get with combining fut and fue.

For sure, amazing results.

As for beard, there are some potential limitations. 

1. Different cycles than scalp hair- beard hair can go into resting (telogen) phase more often giving transplant appearance of being more sparse at times.

2. While beard hair diameter is more robust than scalp, they usually only have 1 hair per graft rather than 2-3 commonly found in scalp grafts. One doc said that you can think of one beard graft as 60-70% of one scalp graft

3. Not everyone's beard grows exceptionally well

4. Some people's beards tend to nicely complement scalp hair, but for others there is a big mismatch such as straight scalp hair but super wavy beard hair

As one recommended HT doc with tons of beard hair experience told me- 60% of the time, beard hair on scalp achieves excellent results, 20% of time moderate and 10-20% of time disasterous.

I have heard most men can get 3-4k grafts from beard over the course of 2 sittings.

On the bright side, those with very strong beards can get more. There is a case of someone whose story is in this forum named Rahul who went to Eugenix. He was severely bald NW7+ and had a depleted donor from a couple of other failed or partially failed HT surgeries. Since his beard was super strong, over the course of 3 surgeries, they harvested not much more than 1k scalp grafts, and 8.5k+ beard grafts and I believe a few thousand from the chest to create unbelievable results. The way the doc described his beard genetics was they are so strong that he needed to shave 2x per day.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

What SLA said. Beard hair looks like..... beard hair on your head. Might work for some, most probably not. Add in survival rates, density, it is an adjunct for few at best. Perhaps Indian patients at an Indian clinic have more compatible matches. My course dark ginger beard is decent, but will look pretty amusing blended in with my sandy blonde straight hair. 

Damn sure I would 😉....

(Not long outa bed pic ..mid scalp where beard grafts placed )

On a more serious note @qui bonois on the Money with his advice ...I'd agree with everything hes said..

As for beard hair looking unnatural on the head versus native scalp hair I'm sorry but I dont agree at all..to this day I cant tell  which from which once they are all mixed up together as a filler..

Good luck with whatever option you choose 

1A54AF9E-245A-4948-962E-A46A0BDFBEDF.jpeg

Edited by Zoomster
Update
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, j1mmy said:

What SLA said. Beard hair looks like..... beard hair on your head. Might work for some, most probably not. Add in survival rates, density, it is an adjunct for few at best. Perhaps Indian patients at an Indian clinic have more compatible matches. My course dark ginger beard is decent, but will look pretty amusing blended in with my sandy blonde straight hair. 

Yeah i was going to add the disadvantage of dealing with two colors. You see a lot of beards that are a completely different shade then the scalp hair. I’d assume these patients are not candidates 

• Like 1

• Administrators
21 hours ago, j1mmy said:

You know I have jet black hair, but my beard has a lot of ginger hair. It used to bother me, but the more I think about it, the more I think it’s unique. Why would a different color blended in look bad? I mean salt and pepper looks good. My beard is mixed dark and red. I don’t think that removed you from candidacy. 
I believe the scalp would look just like my beard. You’d go from sandy blonde to strawberry blonde.

4E83C920-22DD-4F59-AA16-E26623C33C18.jpeg

The texture is a lot more important. Mine is pretty coarse, but relatively straight. I could comb it with a regular comb. Are you able to use a comb or do you have to use a beard brush? I do believe that’s what matters the most.

• Like 2

View my thread

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You know I have jet black hair, but my beard has a lot of ginger hair. It used to bother me, but the more I think about it, the more I think it’s unique. Why would a different color blended in look bad? I mean salt and pepper looks good. My beard is mixed dark and red. I don’t think that removed you from candidacy. 
I believe the scalp would look just like my beard. You’d go from sandy blonde to strawberry blonde.

The texture is a lot more important. Mine is pretty coarse, but relatively straight. I could comb it with a regular comb. Are you able to use a comb or do you have to use a beard brush? I do believe that’s what matters the most.

Yeah hat looks like a decent match to be fair, being pretty straight. My beard is barely combable when newly washed, conditioned, oiled, due to being like a curly ginger brush. Basically means I don’t ever grow it as long as yours, becomes awful. I agree texture has more to say than colour, though mine is quite a mismatch with colour too :D 

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You're Incredibly lucky to have such scalpy type texture from your beard.

You're in a very good position re another procedure ..easy 2K grafts under jawline / chin ...I bet they will utilise the inner sideburns too ..

You'll be closing that sunroof very soon M 💂‍♂️

• Like 3

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Zoomster said:

You're in a very good position re another procedure ..easy 2K grafts under jawline / chin ...I bet they will utilise the inner sideburns too ..

Yea, I cannot wait tbh. I think Eugenix are gonna do a good job. I mean even if I get 1,500 grafts. That’ll be a huge difference. We have to remember beard hair is twice as thick as scalp hair, so 1,000 grafts would cover the area of 2,000 fine hair grafts. 

• Like 4

View my thread

3 hours ago, Zoomster said:

2k grafts under the jaw is a game changer. That makes up for grafts they say you “lose” by not combining fut / fue.

12 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yea, I cannot wait tbh. I think Eugenix are gonna do a good job. I mean even if I get 1,500 grafts. That’ll be a huge difference. We have to remember beard hair is twice as thick as scalp hair, so 1,000 grafts would cover the area of 2,000 fine hair grafts. 

Are you booked in with Eugenix Melvin? 

12 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

I've just watched JT's latest video on Eugenix's crown work - some really impressive results. I'm sure you will be on the receiving end of an equally if not more impressive result under the hands of those guys, your hair characteristics aren't too dissimilar to a lot of the patients they work on. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

I've just watched JT's latest video on Eugenix's crown work - some really impressive results. I'm sure you will be on the receiving end of an equally if not more impressive result under the hands of those guys, your hair characteristics aren't too dissimilar to a lot of the patients they work on. 

Have a look at Eugenix's latest video result only posted several hours ago on YouTube. It's another Norwood 6 case. It seems this thread has drifted a little from FUE for a NW6?, to would you use beard hair? The answer is the same answer to the original post. It depends who is doing the work? For me it's Eugenix everyday of the week!

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Not yet, the situation in India is really bad. It’s worse than last year. I’m hoping things improve over the summer. But yes once I’m able too I’ll be going with Dr. Pradeep and Dr. Arika.

View my thread