Dr. Diep FUT session with 3900 grafts

shucity

• Administrators
1 minute ago, nicoandgello said:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11053761_The_Potential_Role_of_Minoxidil_in_the_Hair_Transplantation_Setting

Actually there is some anecdotal evidence of minoxidil speeding up follicle maturation. People that use 2.5/5mg of oral minoxidil could possibly gain a lot by using it after surgery and through their healing process.

It’s possible, but then again a lot of people are against taking fin and min, so it depends on the person.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, nicoandgello said:

Oh yeah def, sorry I wasn't clear. Oral minox after FUT is terrible idea. I though about using it 2 weeks after FUE.

No worries. But the same goes for FUE, really. :/ Since minoxidil inhibits fibroplast proliferation, which play a crucial role in the early stages of wound healing it may not be a good idea to take it when your body is trying to heal severed tissue and capillaries from thousand of incisions. It's not a big deal if you're healing fast, I guess.

(Not trying to disagree with you, I'm also an advocate of oral minoxidil otherwise.)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

No worries. But the same goes for FUE, really. :/ Since minoxidil inhibits fibroplast proliferation, which play a crucial role in the early stages of wound healing it may not be a good idea to take it when your body is trying to heal severed tissue and capillaries from thousand of incisions. It's not a big deal if you're healing fast, I guess.

(Not trying to disagree with you, I'm also an advocate of oral minoxidil otherwise.)

Interesting, how long did you wait then?

Hey Mate! I also did fut with Dr Diep 2 procedures. My second being performed Jan 19. Just for reinsurance I just buzzed my hair down to a 2 guard and i can barely see the scar. I have a little shock loss but that always recovers after  few months. 

7A133190-2C05-4499-A0EA-C301F63CB370.png

1 hour ago, Skyb said:

Hey Mate! I also did fut with Dr Diep 2 procedures. My second being performed Jan 19. Just for reinsurance I just buzzed my hair down to a 2 guard and i can barely see the scar. I have a little shock loss but that always recovers after  few months. 

When you get a second procedure done do they try to align the scars so they're right next to each other, or do they have to be separated a bit? It's a long way in the future for me, but I'm curious how that works with having two scars.

Your healing looks great, maybe I'm just crazy but I honestly can't confidently tell where the scars are in that photo...

I did a mega session (over 5k) grafts a few years ago. Had a incredible result. Me being a freak I just wanted to do a second pass just to refine mid scalp and crown. Second procedure was 3k grafts. To answer your question I believe they just slice a strip below the original taking out the old scar. Takes a full year for the scar to heel so I’m going to just play it safe and avoid anything that can stretch the scar. I just looked in the mirror and even with wet hair with bright light it is hard to see. You will have a great outcome. Your hair line placement looks fantastic and you can tell he dense packed the area so you will have great coverage 

• Like 1

Not much to update on Day 3 post op, but thought I'd upload some more pics. Today was the best the pain has felt but I definitely still needed the meds shortly after waking up. I also had almost no discharge out of the donor site last night, which I'm going to take as a positive sign. I haven't touched the recipient yet, but it felt great to give the donor strip a wash this morning. Tomorrow will be my first time rinsing the recipient (not supposed to actually touch it until day 8 though).

I haven't had much swelling yet, was expecting more of that. Yesterday there was some along the sides of my face and forehead, today it's a little more concentrated on the middle of my forehead, I guess at some point it will travel down to my nose and eyes but it doesn't seem to be too much.

I live by myself so it's been hard to get a proper view of the scars, but the photos I got today are probably the most I've seen of it so far.

Top.jpg

front.jpg

leftscar.jpg

rightscar.jpg

• Like 1

Also, do you guys have any tips for itchiness in the recipient area? I was a little surprised Dr. Diep advises against using any spray/mist for the recipient area since in reading other threads I thought that was pretty common practice. He did suggest taking benadryl or allegra for the itching, I gave that a try yesterday but don't think it helped that much.

I won't second guess the doctor and do anything against his recommendations since his method gets results, but I'm curious what others do for the itching. For now i'm just sitting on my hands when the itching starts and just wait for it to go away lol

Edited by shucity
typo

Your donor area looked just like mine. Typical for the area to look thin with all the bacteria ointment. Dr Diep has a video where he explains all this in great detail. I would just focus on keeping the area clean with the specific shampoo the office gives you. You can transition to baby shampoo. Once the grafts are secure on the 8th day it becomes a much smother ride. 

5EC4A486-C614-4C0F-B331-F444FE538E2A.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Skyb said:

Your donor area looked just like mine. Typical for the area to look thin with all the bacteria ointment. Dr Diep has a video where he explains all this in great detail. I would just focus on keeping the area clean with the specific shampoo the office gives you. You can transition to baby shampoo. Once the grafts are secure on the 8th day it becomes a much smother ride. 

Awesome, thanks for linking this video! Watching it now and it's what I needed to see. Appreciate the support 🙇 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went in today to get my sutures removed. The process was simple enough, I got there a bit before my appointment time but they saw me pretty much immediately and I was out within 15-20 minutes. I didn't see Dr. Diep, but the person removing the sutures told me that the scar is looking good and there's nothing to be alarmed about. I asked her to take a few photos, I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Parts of it look a little scary, but I think it might just be random splotches of redness and maybe dried blood

20210310_145844.jpg

20210310_145855.jpg

20210310_145902.jpg

20210310_145909.jpg

• Administrators

Looks straightforward to me, you may experience shock loss around the scar, time will heal that as well. Be very careful not to exert too much energy.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words all - sharing 1 month photos for the record. Nothing too exciting up top - most but not all of the transplanted hair has fallen out now. I expect the rest will in the next few weeks. 

I got the sides buzzed for the first time and got a closer look at the scar. Definitely some shock loss around it and the redness makes it look a little worse as well. Haven't been doing any lifting/going to the gym, plan to stay off that for at least another couple months. 

20210324_123211.jpg

20210327_123754.jpg

20210327_123857.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kramer79 said:

What guard did you buzz the back to?

It's a 1.5 on a back and fades up to a 3. The hairs right above the suture line are a little bit longer b/c it's hard to get a consistent buzz there as the skin is a bit uneven. I knew the scar would for sure be very visible at that length but didn't mind much and was curious to give it a look.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Everything is looking good, some minor shock loss. Not too bad. Now it’s the waiting game.

• Like 1

View my thread

Ok i have to confess something here.Before i joined this forum i wasn't aware of dr Diep and his work at all,as a Eu citizen i was focused on doctors that are located in Europe.But since i became a member in HRN i run into some of dr diep results(like Melvin's outstanding result) and i was amazed at how good they turned out,now he is one of my most favorite doctors out there.And being equally good at performing both techniques sets him apart from doctors and clinics that perform FUE-only procedures.One of the best out there,if i lived in States he would be my first option,anyways happy growth man,wish you the best.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 9:16 PM, shucity said:

It's a 1.5 on a back and fades up to a 3. The hairs right above the suture line are a little bit longer b/c it's hard to get a consistent buzz there as the skin is a bit uneven. I knew the scar would for sure be very visible at that length but didn't mind much and was curious to give it a look.

Hey @shucity any updates brother?

On 11/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, rambunctious said:

Hey @shucity any updates brother?

Hey hey, yeah sorry for the late response. Here's some pics I took 2 months ago at the 6 month mark. I haven't taken any since but it's filling in a bit more. I'm pretty happy with the density on the hairline, it is quite a bit less dense in the middle behind it, but I'm hoping it continues to fill in. Will take some 9 month photos at the end of this month and upload. Honestly I saw a ton of growth on the hairline by the 5 month mark, it's continued since then but has looked kind of similar overall.

I don't have recent pictures of the scar, but it did stretch a bit on the sides. I get haircuts w/ a 5 guard and it mostly covers it but is noticeable if someone's standing close and looking. It needs to be a bit longer to be imperceptible.

20210910_160122.jpg

20210910_160235.jpg

20210910_160226.jpg

Edited by shucity