Insane YouTuber gets a hair transplant without anesthesia

giegnosiganoe

This fitness YouTuber fell off the deep after taking ayahuasca around a year ago. He whole personality changed, and he suddenly became very "spiritual". Just to demonstrate how insane he has become, about 6 months ago he did a 40-day water fast while livestreaming it 24/7.

He had dealt with hair loss in the past, and with this newfound spirituality decided to get off fin/min and treat hair loss the "natural way", using head massages and laser helmets. Obviously those didn't do anything, so he continued to lose hair, and was looking pretty bad recently.

Just the other day he put up a video of him going to Dr. Arocha. Before the video he states that he isn't going to use anesthesia, for whatever ~spiritual~ reasons. Apparently Dr. Arocha had to inject anesthesia about halfway through because the bleeding was out of control and anesthesia helps with that.

Felt like sharing this absurdity.

You can skip to around 4:20 where he talks with Dr. Arocha.

57 minutes ago, qui bono said:

why did Arocha agree to operate on this idiot?  It reflects poorly on his clinic.

I stay away from YouTuber/IG stuff, but I have a hard time believing this guy is popular. He talks like a religious fanatic and just seems lost. It's sad.

Well, he does have 2.5 million subscribers lol. I'm sure it'll get Arocha some customers.

He became popular within the fitness community by doing "pranks" in public where he'd end up taking his shirt off and impressing women, and he sort of became a meme. That's how he got to 2.5 million subscribers. Then he did ayahuasca, had a few mental breakdowns and became all spiritual/religious, and most of his subscribers are wondering WTF happened. He's not nearly as popular anymore, only getting a fraction of the views he used to. He basically threw everything away. He seems like a genuinely nice guy though and I'm sure he means well, but yeah he's definitely lost.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

What I don’t get is if this guy practiced what he was sprouting at the start of the video then I don’t understand why he felt the need for a hair transplant?

Keep in mind this guy got famous for taking off his shirt in public. I want to talk to Dr. Arocha see if this is even real or a hoax.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Keep in mind this guy got famous for taking off his shirt in public. I want to talk to Dr. Arocha see if this is even real or a hoax.

Yes I would have thought Dr Arocha to be too professional to carry out a hair transplant with no anesthetic what so ever?? That is really leaving yourself exposed to some serious questioning? 😬

Was surprised to hear the name of the doctor associating himself with this. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hi all, 

Dr. Arocha here. This is a patient of mine. In fact, he has been a patient of mine for many years. 

Every patient who comes through our doors is different, and we personalize a treatment plan based on what is best for them. We did not do any work in exchange for advertising – he paid full price for this procedure. 

Due to the patient's spiritual and religious beliefs, he chose not to do the surgery with local anesthesia, and I respected his wishes. It is a personal choice to take drugs or have local anesthesia administered; although the vast majority of patients choose the traditional method that includes the use of local anesthesia. 

I have a long and extensive experience with pain management, having run a pain clinic for more than a decade in the past. I am always sensitive and looking for non-verbal signs of pain and discomfort. The spiritual and calm that this patient exhibited was impressive. At no time did he grimace, or show any signs of distress. He was 100% relaxed, dozing in and out of sleep, listening to audiobooks and had a pleasant day. 

While the patient was comfortable, halfway through the surgery, I tapped out. I did not want to compromise his outcome, so I needed to control the bleeding to increase density in certain areas. 

While meditation is not yet mainstream in medical practice, the power of meditation and mind over matter is unquestioned. There are certain practices across the U.S. who are starting to use meditation, acupuncture, and other alternative techniques in lieu of traditional anesthesia and narcotics. 

While it is fine to discuss, I ask that you respect this patient and his choice in his care.

Wishing you all the best in these trying times and hope that we all can achieve inner peace and freedom. 

Dr. Arocha

Edited by ArochaAngel4247
  • Like 2

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

• Administrators

Thank you for the response, 

I know there are cases of parents refusing anesthesia for their children based on their religious beliefs and care cannot be denied. While I personally would not agree to surgery without anesthesia, I can respect religious/spiritual beliefs. Thank you for your response. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I just watched this video, and I must say that based on the comments, I was expecting something/someone way crazier than what I just saw. :) While I personally would have no desire to get a HT without anesthesia, I certainly believe he made some extremely valid points about how we relate to pain, medication, and consciousness overall in Western civilization. As Dr. Arocha stated above, alternative approaches to Western medicine such as meditation, acupuncture, and mindfulness have not only been practiced and deemed effective by large human populations throughout history, but Western science has finally begun to catch up to those practices and have finally starting "validating" them in many ways - as if Western civilizations "seal of approval" is worth something. We're just so largely disconnected it seems from the role that our minds/consciousness play in our daily lives that it's easy for us to discredit anything that doesn't neatly fit into our own little box/worldview.

Not to mention, his answer to someone asking "Should I get a hair transplant?" was spot on. If you're looking to get a hair transplant (or anything in life, really) to fill a void, make yourself feel better, overcome an insecurity, etc., then the effect of it won't likely be long lasting. It may make you feel better temporarily, but until we're each willing to address the deeper emotional/psychological stuff that may lie underneath, those insecurities and empty feelings will just find something else to latch onto long after someone's hair is restored. So do both - get the HT to address the physical ailment, and make a point to address any inner ailments that may be lurking as well. 

Anyway. I didn't hear anything remotely insane in that video... But perhaps that's because I'm insane as well, in which case... So be it. ;) 

• Like 4

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Perhaps I was a bit off base calling him insane :) I actually really like the new Connor. He's super kind, genuine, and caring. And I agree with a lot of what he preaches now. It's just a massive change for anyone who used to follow him, and he did go through a mental breakdown near the beginning of it. I figured most casual observers would see him as insane, but it's great to see how open some people are.

• Like 1

Interestingly, Connor Murphy is one of the earlier internet "celebrities" to come out and admit to a hair transplant, well before showcasing and documenting your transplant became kind of a fad on YouTube. I actually found his candor on the subject refreshing. He essentially said he had a good head shape to just shave it off and wasn't opposed to the idea, but felt that his physical image was very important to his career and that was what made him decide on a transplant. I remember thinking the work looked pretty good and wondered who the surgeon was. That one may have been Doctor Arocha as well.

We are starting to see public figures talk about this sort of thing a little more openly now, and I honestly think that's great. One of the biggest problems with hair loss is it's still a "socially acceptable" form of mockery and ridicule, and I honestly think that's perpetuated when celebrities have work done or put on hair systems and try to claim they grew it all back after they stopped using hotel shampoo. That kind of misinformation is harmful for young guys just starting to lose their hair who might be in a position to save most of it if they have a little education and aren't ashamed to ask for help.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I like Conor and his "pranks" got him where he was, but he has had some personal problems and we should all imo wish a person can recover from that sort of thing. 

Unfortunately i feel Conor despite feeling he is on a spiritual journey has tipped into areas that are from my opinion a detriment to him. He basically is trying to use "natural" methods against hair loss which aren't scientifically proven to be anywhere near effective enough as Finasteride or Minoxodil and people are also using him to try push their own agendas for money and views. 

It's honestly sad and i feel sorry for the guy. He has had mental health concerns around him and i think he needs to get some proper care, but he's also a very articulate individual in what he tends to say which is why maybe he doesn't get jumped on as "that insane guy" because his points have a logic to them, even if they're somewhat incorrect. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

I like Conor and his "pranks" got him where he was, but he has had some personal problems and we should all imo wish a person can recover from that sort of thing. 

Unfortunately i feel Conor despite feeling he is on a spiritual journey has tipped into areas that are from my opinion a detriment to him. He basically is trying to use "natural" methods against hair loss which aren't scientifically proven to be anywhere near effective enough as Finasteride or Minoxodil and people are also using him to try push their own agendas for money and views. 

It's honestly sad and i feel sorry for the guy. He has had mental health concerns around him and i think he needs to get some proper care, but he's also a very articulate individual in what he tends to say which is why maybe he doesn't get jumped on as "that insane guy" because his points have a logic to them, even if they're somewhat incorrect. 

Even at his peak of “insanity” some of his points were valid. Personally, I think he was suffering from a manic episode. I watched some of his recent videos, and he seems to be doing much better. Mental health is something very near and dear to my heart. It’s a serious condition. I’m sure he didn’t want this condition, just like no one wants any other illness. I do believe in the power of meditation and the mind. There’s validity in eastern medicine.

In fact, insurance companies now cover acupuncture, which was at one time considered a quackery. Just my thoughts. 

View my thread

9 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Even at his peak of “insanity” some of his points were valid. Personally, I think he was suffering from a manic episode. I watched some of his recent videos, and he seems to be doing much better. Mental health is something very near and dear to my heart. It’s a serious condition. I’m sure he didn’t want this condition, just like no one wants any other illness. I do believe in the power of meditation and the mind. There’s validity in eastern medicine.

In fact, insurance companies now cover acupuncture, which was at one time considered a quackery. Just my thoughts. 

I also believe there's been a severely bigoted view of medicine from a Western PoV for a long time because they haven't sometimes even bothered to research and the mind can be a powerful thing. However, whilst he makes some valid points, you have to perhaps differentiate things on a philosophical basis and something that might not quite line up with what you require. 

There's definitely all sorts of crazy stuff he did, i haven't checked on his vids in ages but glad to hear he's better. 

100% agree mental health is important. Unfortunately it's still not cared for enough despite all the attention people gave it in the pandemic. 

• Like 1