How many FUT's can someone get?

I've seen a few videos of people getting a second FUT. In those videos the doctor cuts the same scar from the first FUT. Is that how its always done? What stops someone from doing a third or forth FUT? If you keep doing FUT do you really maximize your donor area?

• Administrators

It depends on scalp elasticity, most can get around 2 FUTs. There are those freaks that can get 4-5. It also depends on the size and of the strip.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It depends on scalp elasticity, most can get around 2 FUTs. There are those freaks that can get 4-5. It also depends on the size and of the strip.

How do you know if you have good scalp elasticity? Can only a DR determine that? Are there ways to improve scalp elasticity through diet, exercise, or massages?

Edited by BeadHead

• Administrators
1 minute ago, BeadHead said:

How do you know if you have good scalp elasticity? Can only a DR determine that? Are there ways to improve scalp elasticity through diet, exercise, or massages?

You can do scalp exercises, I’ll tag @H & W Doug they have a lot of content and videos talking about scalp elasticity. They are also one if not the best clinic for megasession FUTs.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Absolutely correct...I had 4 FUHT procedures for a grand total of approximately 6900 grafts...my strip scar is still thin however on the last procedure my surgeon had to use staples as he told me my scalp was tighter than he expected and would probably be the last FUHT I would be able to do.

Not planning on doing any more however if I change my mind, it would have to be FUE.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Interesting I have been researching the same thing lately and it seems like scalp exercises seem to be the key to being able to do multiple FUT/getting a lot of grafts from FUT.

However I wonder if someone who has a naturally tight scalp should embark on focusing on FUT/stripping out. Because a scar should in essence be the trade-off to actually being able to get those extra 2000-3000+ grafts lifetime right?

My six FUT's over the span of a decade, including one scar reduction, yielded almost 7,000 total grafts.  The elasticity in the back of my head tightened up after the scar reduction, so my final two FUT's were small strips taken above the ears.  I definitely wanted to "strip out" before venturing into FUE.  

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Multiple FUT procedures are certainly possible depending on scalp laxity. My first was 3500 grafts. For my second procedure I was told by some doctors I can get another 2000 to 2200. I was also advised that if I did scalp laxity exercises I can most likely get more and it did turn out to be the case. I ended up with a second procedure for another 3500 grafts. I would have likely got 4000 on the second procedure but was advised that a lot of scar tissue had to be cut out. 

Each time a strip is cut out and stapled or stitched back your scalp gets tighter. At some point after a few procedures you scalp will be too tight to to continue with FUT. But for the first few the laxity exercises do seem to help. 

Edited by deitel130

• Administrators
2 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

My six FUT's over the span of a decade, including one scar reduction, yielded almost 7,000 total grafts.  The elasticity in the back of my head tightened up after the scar reduction, so my final two FUT's were small strips taken above the ears.  I definitely wanted to "strip out" before venturing into FUE.  

Six FUT’s my man is a legend. We’ve got get you in the hall of fame. Now you’ve got around 2,000 left of FUE

View my thread

42 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Six FUT’s my man is a legend. We’ve got get you in the hall of fame. Now you’ve got around 2,000 left of FUE

Haha, well I'd be honored!  🎖️ But tbh, it didn't need to be that many surgeries if not for my foolish choice for my surgery #1.  Live and learn... :)

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

• Moderators

Some scalp laxity naturally comes back over time. If you had a few FUTs and your scalp is tight you may still be able to do another one some years later.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hi Melvin,

Thank you for including me in the conversation. I would say I generally agree with most of the comments here. We have found over the years that for those with less than ideal scalp mobility who needed a larger number of grafts, the scalp stretching exercises were productive and if done properly and diligently could increase the yield substantially. Some factors such as scalp thickness and makeup could influence to what degree we would be optimistic that enough laxity could be produced. Now days we still have the option to stretch the scalp in cases were necessary but we'll also often gravitate to FUE in a lot of these instances depending on all factors.

BeadHead, 

If a patient is having his first FUT procedure with us, the location of our scar is placed in such a manner that we can go in on a second FUT and remove the old scar and create a new one. When doing repair cases or cases when a patient had his first procedure elsewhere, we would always attempt to remove the old scar and replace with a new scar but often times the location of the pervious scar would be inappropriate and we might be able to remove only some of it but not its entirety. There are also cases where we'd need to create an entirely new scar.  You may be able to get a sense of how much mobility your scalp has by reviewing this video https://hassonandwong.com/scalp-laxity-exercises/

• Thanks 1

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

On 1/27/2021 at 2:09 PM, BeHappy said:

Some scalp laxity naturally comes back over time. If you had a few FUTs and your scalp is tight you may still be able to do another one some years later.

This is true and was the case for my past procedures but eventually it will tighten to the point that only FUE will be possible.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

31 minutes ago, gillenator said:

This is true and was the case for my past procedures but eventually it will tighten to the point that only FUE will be possible.

Does the 'tightness' persist long term? What is the long term feeling of having FUT for the scalp/head ?

• Administrators
22 hours ago, H & W Doug said:

Hi Melvin,

Thank you for including me in the conversation. I would say I generally agree with most of the comments here. We have found over the years that for those with less than ideal scalp mobility who needed a larger number of grafts, the scalp stretching exercises were productive and if done properly and diligently could increase the yield substantially. Some factors such as scalp thickness and makeup could influence to what degree we would be optimistic that enough laxity could be produced. Now days we still have the option to stretch the scalp in cases were necessary but we'll also often gravitate to FUE in a lot of these instances depending on all factors.

BeadHead, 

If a patient is having his first FUT procedure with us, the location of our scar is placed in such a manner that we can go in on a second FUT and remove the old scar and create a new one. When doing repair cases or cases when a patient had his first procedure elsewhere, we would always attempt to remove the old scar and replace with a new scar but often times the location of the pervious scar would be inappropriate and we might be able to remove only some of it but not its entirety. There are also cases where we'd need to create an entirely new scar.  You may be able to get a sense of how much mobility your scalp has by reviewing this video https://hassonandwong.com/scalp-laxity-exercises/

Great link, definitely worth doing, scalp laxity exercises used to be the rage in the 2000s. Sadly, a lot of it has been forgotten. 

View my thread

2 hours ago, kramer79 said:

Does the 'tightness' persist long term? What is the long term feeling of having FUT for the scalp/head ?

The only time you feel a 'tightness', or a kind of pull in the scalp, is for a few weeks post-op.  It would be difficult to tuck in your chin to your chest for a few weeks.  I can't pinch as much scalp as I used to, but that's the only long term effect from FUT.  There's no lasting sensation connected to reduced laxity. 

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Great link, definitely worth doing, scalp laxity exercises used to be the rage in the 2000s. Sadly, a lot of it has been forgotten. 

Really? that's pretty interesting.

I wonder why it isn't mentioned/promoted as often anymore.

Maybe it has to do with the rise of FUE.

1 minute ago, aaron1234 said:

The only time you feel a 'tightness', or a kind of pull in the scalp, is for a few weeks post-op.  It would be difficult to tuck in your chin to your chest for a few weeks.  I can't pinch as much scalp as I used to, but that's the only long term effect from FUT.  There's no lasting sensation connected to reduced laxity. 

That's good to know.

Also what is your take on exercise and lifting weights after?

I read so many conflicting opinions. Some say you can start up within a few weeks. Others say wait at least 6 months.

12 minutes ago, kramer79 said:

Also what is your take on exercise and lifting weights after?

This you go by simply how you feel.  If you push it too soon you will feel some throbbing in your strip wound and you'll have no choice but to stop..  It's hard to put an exact time table on it but ease into it after a few weeks.  I always took a couple months just to be safe. 

20 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

This you go by simply how you feel.  If you push it too soon you will feel some throbbing in your strip wound and you'll have no choice but to stop..  It's hard to put an exact time table on it but ease into it after a few weeks.  I always took a couple months just to be safe. 

Ya, I've heard too early can stretch the scar.

I assume you naturally have a loose scalp to have 6 FUT surgeries

Not necessarily, I had moderate scalp elasticity.  Surgery #4 was a scar reduction that yielded 300 grafts.  Surgery #5 and #6 were small strips that yielded 700 and 500 grafts respectively.  

Two to three FUT surgeries are usual. I don't think multiple FUT surgeries are recommended. The laxity of the back scalp determines the number of sessions for different individuals. 

Kind Regards
Abhinay Singh  -  I am no longer a representative for Eugenix Hair Sciences. If you want to contact them please see below:

Email : info@eugenix.in    WhatsApp Call/Message: +91 79-779-15534          My Hair Transplant Journey 
I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

On 1/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, kramer79 said:

My last FUHT procedure was in 2006 and I can tell that my laxity is not ideal for another FUHT procedure especially if the strip was to run fully across the occipital zone...would a smaller strip be possible?...maybe, however I would not take on that risk of healing with a wider scar....although the scalp does recover in elasticity over time, there are some limitations regarding how much of it can be excised in a lifetime.

Regarding weightlifting post-op, I always recommend waiting at least 3 months regarding "heavy" lifting...Why?...because it's the inner dermis layer that takes longer to heal and the scar can still potentially stretch with heavy weights....yes, there are variables between individuals with healing time frames but it never hurts to be on the safer side of things.

Gillenator