How Long Does It Take For A Hair Transplant To Grow?

• Administrators

I get a lot of dm's on instagram, pm's on here asking me if they should be worried about their growth. Nine times out of ten, they're at 4 months, or 6 months. So guys, let's talk about it. I wanna know how long did it take you guys to see growth? For me, I saw growth at 3 months, and by 7 months it had grown pretty significant. But when I looked back at old pictures, I saw a big difference from month 7 to 12. 

How Long Does It Take For A Hair Transplant To Grow?

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

My 5 hts have more or less all followed the usual timeline. So growth beginning around month 4. My crown has always been slower, perhaps around 5 months onwards. 
Shame people worry at such a early stage. It’s tough when they see the early growers on here. But they are usually the exception and not the norm. 

• Like 1

My first HT I would say 40% of the grafts just grew without shedding. It was stick and place so not sure if that made a difference. I then saw the rest start to grow around 3.5 months. With my second procedure some growth around 9 weeks but most likely return of shock loss.

• Administrators

I think the cases that get the most buzz are the ones that grow in fast. Admittedly, my thread got pretty popular because I saw a pretty significant amount of growth by the 4th month. The important thing to remember is that not everyone is the same. People grow at different rates.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

@Melvin-Moderator and @JohnAC71 when you first noticed growth was it when the hair was thicker and longer or are you referring to the very fine wispy short hairs that first sprout? The latter is difficult to see unless you get someone to check or it was transplanted in a pretty bare spot. The other option to see them is with a very good camera. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

@Melvin-Moderator and @JohnAC71 when you first noticed growth was it when the hair was thicker and longer or are you referring to the very fine wispy short hairs that first sprout? The latter is difficult to see unless you get someone to check or it was transplanted in a pretty bare spot. The other option to see them is with a very good camera. 

Hair color can also make it easier or harder to spot early growth. Dark hair on light skin is much easier to see small hairs coming in as opposed to blond or light brown hair on light skin.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I can't remember exactly but I know there was a significant change between 12 months and 18 months - it just got thicker and looked better. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hi.😀

One thing is when you noticed the first grow.

Another is how many grafts had growth/popped out for each month.

Does this also follows a typical pattern with averag procent for each month?

I know everyone won't believe me, but w/ first procedure, I just woke up one day and was like, "I don't have to wear a hat anymore! I can style this!"

Went out w/ full confidence at the 4.5 month* mark. Hair gel and everything / no concealer.

With my most recent procedure, I'm coming up at the 90 day mark, and I'm pretty sure I've already seen some early signs of growth. The front certainly feels more thicker when I run my hands through it and I'm starting to see hairs in the back that were previously non existent. Anyway ... for the second procedure, I went in with the mentality that about five months I should see significant results that would continue to improve over time.

Edited by champybaby
  • Like 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

2 hours ago, champybaby said:

I know everyone won't believe me, but w/ first procedure, I just woke up one day and was like, "I don't have to wear a hat anymore! I can style this!"

Went out w/ full confidence at the 4.5 month* mark. Hair gel and everything / no concealer.

I can believe this. I read through my posts archive earlier.....apparently I woke up one morning and had lots of growth overnight, someone in the thread said it's very common

• Thanks 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I’m only at the 6 month mark so I can’t speak for long term. But I was seeing some growth at 3 months. At 4 months I saw noticeable growth. At 5 months my hair line is pretty full, but the crown is lagging. I haven’t seen much of a change between months 5 and 6. I’m actually worried I won’t get any more growth. I hope I’m wrong because I’m not happy with my crown.  

Whats weirder about mine is I didn’t get the thing wispy hairs that I read about. My hairs came in normally. The new hairs on my hair line are as thick as my remaining hair in the donor area. 

15 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

I’m only at the 6 month mark so I can’t speak for long term. But I was seeing some growth at 3 months. At 4 months I saw noticeable growth. At 5 months my hair line is pretty full, but the crown is lagging. I haven’t seen much of a change between months 5 and 6. I’m actually worried I won’t get any more growth. I hope I’m wrong because I’m not happy with my crown.  

Whats weirder about mine is I didn’t get the thing wispy hairs that I read about. My hairs came in normally. The new hairs on my hair line are as thick as my remaining hair in the donor area. Is you Happy with your front now?

I am 3,5 month Now and keept some of my hairs and havde seen some new growS from about 2,5 month - but is still slow and thin- hope for more growth soon.

Are you Happy for your front now?

13 minutes ago, Maa said:

I am 3,5 month Now and keept some of my hairs and havde seen some new growS from about 2,5 month - but is still slow and thin- hope for more growth soon.

Are you Happy for your front now?

I’m pretty happy with the front. I’m really harsh light it’s a little see through still, so I certainly wouldn’t mind if it thickened up a bit. But if it doesn’t, I’ll still be happy with how it is now. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

Whats weirder about mine is I didn’t get the thing wispy hairs that I read about. My hairs came in normally. The new hairs on my hair line are as thick as my remaining hair in the donor area. 

I think it may be that you noticed the growth when it was thicker but probably did come in thin. I guess that's the thing a lot of people may have early growth but the hairs come in so thin that it's not not noticeable until it thickens.

3 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

I think it may be that you noticed the growth when it was thicker but probably did come in thin. I guess that's the thing a lot of people may have early growth but the hairs come in so thin that it's not not noticeable until it thickens.

I’m very OCD about my post transplant growth, probably to the point of it being unhealthy. I’ll examine my hairline and crown up close in mirrors once or twice a day every day. So I pretty much noticed every hair the day they popped out. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, EvoXOhio said:

You will see significant growth and maturity after 6 months. The crown takes longer to grow. Makes for an excellent question as to why. I’ve always suspected and speculated it’s due to blood supply in the vertex. 

• Like 1

View my thread

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You will see significant growth and maturity after 6 months. The crown takes longer to grow. Makes for an excellent question as to why. I’ve always suspected and speculated it’s due to blood supply in the vertex. 

I really hope that’s the case for me. I’ve certainly seen a ton of posts on here where that was the case, and they got excellent improvement after 6 months. But, I’ve also seen other posts on here where there was no real improvement after 6 months. 

39 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yeah, the crown doesn't have as robust a blood supply as the lateral parts of our scalp, which is largely the reason why it takes longer for the crown to grow.

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Yeah, the crown doesn't have as robust a blood supply as the lateral parts of our scalp, which is largely the reason why it takes longer for the crown to grow.

My speculation was right 😅

View my thread

This would then answer the question that blood supply has a relationship to when hair moves out of the resting phase. Is it safe to then assume that early growers have a more robust blood supply in their scalps in comparison to late growers?

Edited by deitel130
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

This would then answer the question that blood supply has a relationship to when hair moves out of the resting phase. Is it safe to then assume that early growers have a more robust blood supply in their scalps in comparison to late growers?

Perhaps that is the case. Hair growth is multifactorial so it could be a multitude of things. As we know, minoxidil is a vasodilator so it'll improve blood flow which can spur hair growth/arrest of hair loss. 

• Thanks 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

6 minutes ago, champybaby said:

My understanding is the crown is cursed. And that the best way to encourage growth is to wear garlic and burn some sage during a Full Moon.

Lol, maybe it's time to try and get FDA approval for this treatment. 

• Haha 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, champybaby said:

My understanding is the crown is cursed. And that the best way to encourage growth is to wear garlic and burn some sage during a Full Moon.

image.gif

View my thread

3 hours ago, champybaby said:

If only wearing actual crowns were still fashionable for men then it would be easier to cover up bald spots back there.

• Haha 1