Grafts needed if sides drop

I had my second transplant almost a year ago, and so far am pleased with the results. I will have to go back to Dr Yaman to increase density in the crown, and I was told last year that an additional 3500 to 4000 grafts can be extracted. However, I am a bit worried since one of the clinics I consulted, Dr Demirsoy mentioned that I am heading for a NW 7 and that my sides would likely drop. If that were to happen how many grafts would be required to fill in the area. This was last year hefore my second surgery, and he also stated that my donor was poor and would look overharvested, so he refused to operate on me. I would like to plan for the worst case, which is why I have still not decided on a third procedure

5 minutes ago, JJ1187 said:

I had my second transplant almost a year ago, and so far am pleased with the results. I will have to go back to Dr Yaman to increase density in the crown, and I was told last year that an additional 3500 to 4000 grafts can be extracted. However, I am a bit worried since one of the clinics I consulted, Dr Demirsoy mentioned that I am heading for a NW 7 and that my sides would likely drop. If that were to happen how many grafts would be required to fill in the area. This was last year hefore my second surgery, and he also stated that my donor was poor and would look overharvested, so he refused to operate on me. I would like to plan for the worst case, which is why I have still not decided on a third procedure

Can you share pics?

Have you perchance considered taking finasteride to save those lateral humps? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Can you share pics?

Have you perchance considered taking finasteride to save those lateral humps? 

I have been on Finasteride for two years now, which helped stop the hairloss. Unfortunately I was told by my prescribing doctor, that there is a possibility for hairloss to continue down the line, so in case that happens I would like to plan ahead

2 hours ago, JJ1187 said:

I have been on Finasteride for two years now, which helped stop the hairloss. Unfortunately I was told by my prescribing doctor, that there is a possibility for hairloss to continue down the line, so in case that happens I would like to plan ahead

Fin is a fantastic drug and it has worked wonders for me. But at a certain point, it will lose efficacy and your hair loss will occur. I can speak from that first hand. That said, you should perhaps consider taking DUT at some point in the future. Aside, it will be impossible to answer your question without a pic. But based on what I know, you won't need as many as you think to cover the sides. I'd earmark at least 1200. Your sides won't look like what they do today, but the results will certainly be serviceable.

It's great that you're planning ahead. Far too many people don't. If you have a beard, consider tapping into that, too. It serves best sprinkled throughout the vertex area.

• Like 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

Its not that finasteride loses efficacy over time, its because it doesn't eliminate all DHT in your system. The remaining DHT that does circulate continues to do damage to your hair follicles over time. So depending on how much it lowers your DHT and how sensitive your hair follicles are to the DHT, you get a new slower hair loss rate that is hopefully very very very ...slower.

The good news is that the sides (I assume you mean the lateral humps?) don't need very many grafts because they angle down.  The bad news is that if you need to transplant the lateral humps you have probably lost more ground in other areas as well (e.g. the crown).  Then it becomes a supply and demand situation.  Stay on fin and hopefully it won't come to that.  

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

10 hours ago, champybaby said:

Fin is a fantastic drug and it has worked wonders for me. But at a certain point, it will lose efficacy and your hair loss will occur. I can speak from that first hand. That said, you should perhaps consider taking DUT at some point in the future. Aside, it will be impossible to answer your question without a pic. But based on what I know, you won't need as many as you think to cover the sides. I'd earmark at least 1200. Your sides won't look like what they do today, but the results will certainly be serviceable.

It's great that you're planning ahead. Far too many people don't. If you have a beard, consider tapping into that, too. It serves best sprinkled throughout the vertex area.

I was told not to take Dutasteride, mainly because it is much stronger, and I have had some side effects, pertaining to my mood, after taking finasteride. I take it before bed, so by the time I am awake, the side effects are non existent, but with a stronger drug, things could be worse.

I have had to plan ahead, mainly because my first transplant was a failure, and I had poor growth, even though I chose, a recommended clinic, so I kind of have to make the best use of the grafts I have left over, and think about how to best use them. I have an additional 2k grafts, which can be extracted from the beard, or so I was told during the consultation. I am also going to consult with Eugenix, and see what they say

1 hour ago, aaron1234 said:

The good news is that the sides (I assume you mean the lateral humps?) don't need very many grafts because they angle down.  The bad news is that if you need to transplant the lateral humps you have probably lost more ground in other areas as well (e.g. the crown).  Then it becomes a supply and demand situation.  Stay on fin and hopefully it won't come to that.  

I have taken care of the hairline, and midscalp, with a few grafts scattered around the crown, requiring an extra 2000 grafts, for density if I decide on a third procedure. That way, I will have 2000 grafts left over for the future. I have consulted with several doctors, and most of them told me they could not predict my final hair loss pattern, whereas Dr Demirsoy seemed certain I would be a NW 7. I was NW 4, by 21, and even though I have lost hair for the past 9 years, I was only somewhere between NW 5, and 6, before my second transplant. Due to how aggressive my hair loss was, I assume I have reached my final pattern, but it could always get worse.

9 hours ago, rob2470 said:

....but it could always get worse.

Yes it can!  Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I all depends on your current age and family history. please share some pics to assess your situation.

BTW, Yaman tends to overharvest the donor area and take from the unsafe zone.

• Like 1