[VIDEO] This is what happens when you get a hair transplant at a young age, without using a DHT blocker

alex1985

• alex1985 changed the title to This is what happens when you get a hair transplant at a young age, without using a DHT blocker

Damn, huge respect to him - and tbh he is really pretty with shaved head too.

And yeah it should be a warning to all of us young guys. It sad to see that many guys believe that it is possible to do HT without staying on finasteride for ever

• Like 3

Yikes

When I was about to click on the section for the forum the only part of the topic title visible was "This is what happens when you"  .My thoughts immediately went to John Goodman's immortal character Walter in that corvette scene of The Big Lebowski.

But its still kinda of like the corvette getting destroyed, this guy's chances of having decent coverage over his life destroyed as well. If you aren't going to take the meds, delay the HTs until at least your late 20s, if you are going to bother with them at all.

I wish we could have this video stickied for all of those guys who are just starting to see the maturation of their hairline and post here unwilling to touch medication  her asking how they can make their hairline a box.

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I wish we could have this video stickied for all of those guys who are just starting to see the maturation of their hairline and post here unwilling to touch medication  her asking how they can make their hairline a box.

I totally agree that this video should be a sticky! He turned 24 and yesterday I turned 54. Yet, despite the 30 years of age difference, the mistake I made is still being made today. The only difference is that this young man will be able to pull this off with perhaps SMP in the donor region and keeping a close shave on his scalp.

There's a second problem here too that we always keep seeing again and again. Apart from the issue of having a transplant too young is the issue of the results of the hair transplant. The temples are far too low (as is the hairline in general). My main happiness for him is that his transplant was not plugs like mine were and his donor scars are far easier to ignore or repair with SMP than mine. I'm so glad he shared this video and I have total respect for him! However my real fear is that despite this video, young people will still go to clinics in places like Turkey or wherever an unethical surgeon will say yes, grab the money and perform surgery on someone who isn't a candidate (at least not with a hair mill butcher).

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I totally agree that this video should be a sticky! He turned 24 and yesterday I turned 54. Yet, despite the 30 years of age difference, the mistake I made is still being made today. The only difference is that this young man will be able to pull this off with perhaps SMP in the donor region and keeping a close shave on his scalp.

There's a second problem here too that we always keep seeing again and again. Apart from the issue of having a transplant too young is the issue of the results of the hair transplant. The temples are far too low (as is the hairline in general). My main happiness for him is that his transplant was not plugs like mine were and his donor scars are far easier to ignore or repair with SMP than mine. I'm so glad he shared this video and I have total respect for him! However my real fear is that despite this video, young people will still go to clinics in places like Turkey or wherever an unethical surgeon will say yes, grab the money and perform surgery on someone who isn't a candidate (at least not with a hair mill butcher).

I agree that this guy is super fortunate. He actually looks good with the shaved scalp and the hairline works well enough that if it was as at least blended a bit more rather than being a clear line I think he'd be all set. Scalp pigmentation might very well help him out in this respect. Not everybody is so fortunate.

• alex1985 changed the title to [VIDEO] This is what happens when you get a hair transplant at a young age, without using a DHT blocker
25 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

It looks like his transplanted hair thinned / fell out as well.

Doesn't look like it. His hairline and temporal recessions are full of terminal hair and he's bald everywhere else. Those are definitely the areas that were transplanted.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 5:50 PM, asterix0 said:

They are not full of terminal hair, there are wispy remnants of some that survived, but it looks like most fell out. 

What exactly are you basing this on? The guy is wearing his hair extremely long, including in the front, meaning that these hairs are able to grow to their full length rather than being miniaturized. Those are perfectly healthy hairs. This just looks like he didn't have a large number of grafts nor a very large area transplanted, which is part of why this is an important cautionary tale.

39 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

What exactly are you basing this on? The guy is wearing his hair extremely long, including in the front, meaning that these hairs are able to grow to their full length rather than being miniaturized. Those are perfectly healthy hairs. This just looks like he didn't have a large number of grafts nor a very large area transplanted, which is part of why this is an important cautionary tale.

When he reveals his bald spots, it looks like the whole front is sparse, there are maybe 100 grafts there. Why would he have gotten a transplant for 100 grafts? We should assume he at least got 2k, and there are nowhere near 2k grafts there. 

42 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

When he reveals his bald spots, it looks like the whole front is sparse, there are maybe 100 grafts there. Why would he have gotten a transplant for 100 grafts? We should assume he at least got 2k, and there are nowhere near 2k grafts there. 

Again, why would you assume that?  There are plenty of cases of hairline work for less than 2,000 grafts, generally seen in younger patients who are only just starting to lose their hair...just like this guy was. In fact, a surgeon operating on a young man with aggressive loss in a large pattern is going to be reluctant to dump 2,000 grafts in a hairline on the first pass, especially since it sounds like the guy might be a NW 6/7.

Additionally, he talks about working to save for the procedure, and we can see that he hasn't had grafting anywhere behind that initial hairline. From this we can draw the conclusion that he may not have had the funds for a larger procedure, and was given a result that was within his budget.

• Moderators
On 12/6/2020 at 10:20 AM, asterix0 said:

It looks like his transplanted hair thinned / fell out as well.

No it hasn't. He just lost hair in the center. When he is buzzed down you can clearly see he had the corners transplanted along with a small amount along the front hairline back when he still had hair in the center. The transplanted hair is all still there.

image.png.27cd8bd120ac1bb1e459b2e481cd9dd4.png

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

You guys can think what you want. Even if that was his transplanted hair when buzzed down, only at the front of the hairline, the density is really poor. So it is failed transplant either from the start, or failed over time because he did not take any anti androgens.

I don't want to belittle the guy or make him feel any worse, quite the contrary, just have to call it like I see it. 

Wow, this video kinda shattered me.. 

First of all, I feel really sorry for the guy. Actually I've seen him before on Instagram, he's a quite successful model with 350K followers, just never thought he was wearing a hairpiece!

Now, having such an aggressive hair loss and getting a HT at 19 was just meant to be a disaster.

BUT the sad reality is we're "all" virtually in the same boat, on borrowed time, except maybe more? 

I'll explain how with different scenarios. 

Worst case scenario: HT before 25, no meds. Native hair disappears in 5-10 years, that's how long they'll be able to "enjoy" their new hairline. Next HT will have to cover a LOT of area in the midscalp, so they'll have a depleted donor and bald crown that will just keep expanding slowly. A few more years down the line and the problem exacerbates, the sides will start to drop and they'll have an island of hair in the center with a permanent low hairline but it will just look so bad and apparent they'll have to shave it off. And I mean fully shave it off, every 2-3 days or so (no idea how often the clean shaven baldies do that) because otherwise the pattern I mentioned will show. But then there's the FUE scars showing on clean shaven heads. G-d forbid they had an FUT.

Best worst case scenario: HT at a young age (preferably still after 25) but very slowly progressing MPB and a family history of the same / HT at a young age having been on meds for years, stabilized hair loss. They'll be able to cover the losses with a HT say every 10-15 years if need be, that is if they'll go to a good doctor who knows how to preserve the donor. There's no guarantee for this scenario either, mainly because I've seen cases where somebody had a slowly progressing hair loss in their twenties only to lose it all in a few years in their thirties. Or what if meds stop working. You see where I'm getting, it can still lead to point 1. 

Acceptable scenario: HT at a mature age (minimum after 30), hair loss stabilized with meds OR a Norwood pattern in the lower ranges. I'd say this category is the safest, they'll still lose some native hair as there's something called senescent thinning that combined with MPB still wreaks some damage over decades, but you know, it's kinda okay to be semi-bald at 60-70. 

Edited by UnbaldEagle

Also, if you look at this guy, he's still good looking with a shaved head, very much so, he's full of attractive facial qualities, BUT I would say he dropped from a 9 to a 6 on a scale where 10 is Tony Mahfud and 1 is that bald Turkish taxi driver with a missing front tooth we often see in memes who forgot to go to Hair of Istanbul (wait, what?). 

I mean.. see the before and after and let me know if you disagree. 

Oh, and we're speaking of an exceptionally good looking guy here, so I don't think the "just shave it off bro" applies to average or below-average looking guys.

denj2.jpg

denj.png

• Moderators

A 9 to a 6 is about right. He went from a Ken doll to Emperor Ming

image.png.d67f813105c551e83d223307abd0f404.png

image.png.b9c5f296ec74af881c88665acdd3cf76.png

• Haha 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

This video literally broke my heart 💔, nobody should have to go through this shit. I just hope some younger guys manage to see this before rushing into a HT at a young age.

Edited by Kruchie
  • Like 1