Starting HT Journey Advice

Hi all, I've been browsing the forum casually over the past year or so, and I've recently taken my first steps towards getting a HT.

I'm 26 from the UK and I've consulted with 2 Dr's already, one in the UK and one in Portugal, and both agree I am 3 on the Norwood Scale.    Both Dr's also agree that my hairline is receding at the sides with some hair loss in the forelock, but with the mid-scalp and crown area retaining good density and my donor area also looks good.

I've just ordered Finasteride and I plan to start taking that to stabilise my hair loss before going forward with surgery, and I'm also well aware I'll need to continue taking Finasteride indefinitely which I have no issues with.

Ideally I want to fill in the balding areas in my hairline and improve the forelock and bring my hairline forward to it's native point.  Estimates seem to be around 3500 grafts.

The UK clinic I contacted is a no go, they were too pushy and keep trying to hound me with discounts which for me was a red flag.  I'm really happy with the information I've been given by the Dr in Portugal (Dr. Bruno Ferreria btw), but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket especially so early on so I think it's prudent to do some more research.

Is anyone able to recommend some other suitable Dr's I could contact, or any advice on where to start really?  I've been browsing the forum and I can see some great results, but most results I can find seem to be from individuals with dark hair and/or hair loss that's different to mine (but I'm possibly not looking very hard lol) so I would be interested to see results from people in a similar situation to mine, but any guidance is appreciated really.

I've attached some pictures to show my current hairline and hair loss issues as well as a couple with my hair pushed forwards.   Many thanks in advance!

IMG_2343.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2347.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

IMG_2350.jpeg

@CJL you won`t find any beter at Dr. BF price point. You can reach out to Ximena Villa (same technique but 2 patiens per day) or HLC (stick&place insted of DHI) that charge the same price or more expensive great Doctors like Dr. Feriduni and Dr. Bisanga.

List.jpg

• Administrators

Consult with more than a few doctors, and remember results>price. Below are our list of recommendations, all of our surgeons have been presented and approved by the forum. We have patient reviews attached to each of out surgeons profiles, along with their results. Good luck on your research.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3500 is too much for someone only 26.  You may have to come off fin and the worst thing will be a low hairline and NW6 pattern.

2500 is more ethical with a hairline maybe 0.5 inch lower in the centre, with some recession into the corners.  eg:

img.jpeg

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Since you are getting ready to start finasteride you'll want to give that up to a year, assuming you don't get side effects and respond to it, and then go back for re-evaluation, I agree with @1978matt , error on the conservative side. In your first pic looking staight forward that recession on the sides that rounds up along the top looks like it could continue in that direction pretty aggressively, especially given your young age and loss already. And I would consider minoxidil too to help maximize your coverage and help delay future procedures, if you have the commitment and discipline to stick with it -and again assuming you will respond to it.

Edited by ciaus

@CJLI am the rep and consultant center for HDC clinic (Dr. Maras, Dr. Christina), our prince range 2.3 - 2.5 per graft (through me), you are welcome to pm for free consultant.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

Thanks all for the advice.

@Portugal25 Price point isn't the biggest appeal for me, I'm onboard with @Melvin-Moderator that results are more important than price... especially when all the work will be based around my hairline which I can't really hide, but his work I've seen so far looks good which makes Dr. Bruno Ferreira a definite contender!

@1978matt I did originally have estimates around 2000-2500, and 3500 was to move my hairline back to it's native position.   But it might be more sensible for me to consider a small surgery at first, I appreciate the advice.

@ciaus Would you recommend taking Minoxidil at the same time as Finasteride?  The amount of stress and anxiety my hairline has caused me gives me the dedication to stick to it, so I'm willing to try pretty much anything.  

@Doron Harati I'll PM you!

@CJL I have very similar loss to you, as well as blonde hair, although mine is curly.

I was recommended 3000-3500 grafts in many of my consultations, so apparently that's a standard NW3 number that doctors are throwing around for the hairline.

I consulted with Dr. Ferreira. He certainly talks the talk, but I can't find much visual evidence that supports him being world class (maybe he will be in the future).

If you aren't currently on any hairloss treatments, I would just give Finasteride a shot without anything else. If it works for you, then you may be able to skip the hassle of topicals and all the annoying crap that sometimes ends up in a hairloss stack.

Edited by PizzaWolf

• Administrators

HDC is definitely underrated, they’re doing awesome work 👍🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, CJL said:

Would you recommend taking Minoxidil at the same time as Finasteride?  The amount of stress and anxiety my hairline has caused me gives me the dedication to stick to it, so I'm willing to try pretty much anything.  

They work well together to maximize how much coverage you get with your current hair situation. Finasteride helps protect your hair from DHT, and minoxidil thickens the hair and extends their growing phases so you have more growing at the same time.

That being said, starting them at the same time does make it difficult to evaluate how much benefit you are getting from each. Maybe you will only respond to one and not the other. Initially minoxidil can give you some 'regrowth' - thickening thinning hairs enough to be visible again, but in the long run it will only work for so long until DHT finishes off the hair follicles.

If you have the dedication for minoxidil, start with just finasteride and somewhere between 6-12 months if you are responding to it -maintaining your current hair/or even getting some regrowth, then add the minoxidil and see if you can further improve.