On average, how long does it take for the redness to fade?

• Administrators

I believe on average it takes about a month, but I’ve seen it last for 5-6 months on fair skinned guys. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If the redness lasts for more than say 3-4 months, talk with your doctor about steroid based creams which can potentially help a lot.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If you're blonde or fair skinned it takes a little longer for redness to subside, but eventually it does.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Paddy,

That's a top quality product which includes witch hazel...it works well to reduce lingering redness.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I had DHI and pre-made slits in the same surgery. Fair/light skin. It took about 4 months for redness from DHI to disappear completely, and about 5.5 months for pre-made slits to disappear 98% (i still have few little spots here and there).
I used organic aloe vera gel, but not sure if this made a difference as I stopped at around month 3.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

As you can tell from the responses, it's probably hard to come up with an average... It really does depend on each individual's skin tone/sensitivity. I'm a white guy with a sensitive scalp, so mine lasted around 6 weeks or so I suppose before it was satisfactory to me - and a little longer before it went away completely. Based on responses I've seen here over the years, I suppose 4-8 weeks might be a good average, but who's to say really. 

Not the most concrete answer you're probably looking for... ;)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

You can also have your collagen levels checked...if they are low, that can also cause the redness to linger.

Gillenator