Timing on procedue - my specific case

Hi All,

First time poster, thank you in advance for reading another post about procedure timing aka "should I get a procedure now?"

My specific case:

• 32 yo male.
  • Light skin, dark brown hair.
  • Norwood Type 2 (but more straight across vs V-shaped, whatever that's called).
  • I've been on 5mg+ daily Finasteride since age 20, use Minoxidil foam 2x daily on front (not sure if works but possibly helps).
  • I've lost about 1" of hairline in the front between age 20-32 (12 years).
  • On the high side of donor hair according to local surgeon.

My genetic history:

• Father is Norwood Type 5, had sudden hair loss at age 33 but started Finasteride afterwards. 
  • Mother's Father was Norwood Type 3, stabilized there. 
  • Based on myself and my 3 brothers (including 2 older brothers age 37 and 39), it looks like our hair pattern is coming from Mother's Father, so I don't anticipate any loss in the crown/vertex, most likely all frontal. 

My questions please:

1. My main concern is around doing an FUE/FUT in the front, but the hair behind steadily receding in the frontal region, keeping in mind the Finasteride is slowing but not halting the loss. I visited a well-rated transplant surgeon lately, and their salesperson basically told me I could just keep getting FUEs to cover it up, but I am unsure about at what point? 
  2. Given this first procedure would cover my hairline for the indefinite future, would you recommend FUT first for thickness? I wear my hair down, so perhaps and FUE wouldn't be as noticeable in terms of perceived density? 

Thank you!

You will always maximize your grafts with a first round FUT - bear in mind that you will need a plan to deal with the scar it leaves, and that is a personal decision based on your hair style .  A FUE afterwards to keep up  is certainly a good plan but a FUE after FUE after FUE to play catch up shouldn't be part of your plan.   i have had two (2) FUT and my scar has never been noticeable but I keep my hair longer anyway. 

Edited by voxman
  • Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, voxman said:

You will always maximize your grafts with a first round FUT - bear in mind that you will need a plan to deal with the scar it leaves, and that is a personal decision based on your hair style .  A FUE afterwards to keep up  is certainly a good plan but a FUE after FUE after FUE to play catch up shouldn't be part of your plan.   i have had tow (2) FUT and my scar has b=never been noticeable but I keep my hair longer anyway. 

You’re back! 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes, I am back - I will be visiting and giving out my humble opinions and hopefully guiding the more 'mature' crowd here when needed...LOL!

• Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

4 hours ago, Kruchie said:

Got any pics to show us? Also, have you tried Dutasteride? I went with Fin originally but it didn't work as well for me, also had some side effects with it. 

Attached. Haven’t tried Dutasteride but I think Fin is working and slowing the loss, just not completely halting the loss - should it be?

FC76A28F-9C5F-41A8-BF72-8F40A038F064.jpeg

1933AB98-2909-4B36-A630-C0AC11A1A6CF.jpeg

• Administrators

You don’t need surgery at all! 99% of guys on this forum would kill for your hair. Definitely not worth the risk or money. Take that money and go on vacation, my advice.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Yeah you don't need a HT.  Sure, it's a little more zig-zag than a straight hairline but not life debilitating.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

6 hours ago, Deiter said:

Hi All,

First time poster, thank you in advance for reading another post about procedure timing aka "should I get a procedure now?"

My specific case:

• 32 yo male.
  • Light skin, dark brown hair.
  • Norwood Type 2 (but more straight across vs V-shaped, whatever that's called).
  • I've been on 5mg+ daily Finasteride since age 20, use Minoxidil foam 2x daily on front (not sure if works but possibly helps).
  • I've lost about 1" of hairline in the front between age 20-32 (12 years).
  • On the high side of donor hair according to local surgeon.

My genetic history:

• Father is Norwood Type 5, had sudden hair loss at age 33 but started Finasteride afterwards. 
  • Mother's Father was Norwood Type 3, stabilized there. 
  • Based on myself and my 3 brothers (including 2 older brothers age 37 and 39), it looks like our hair pattern is coming from Mother's Father, so I don't anticipate any loss in the crown/vertex, most likely all frontal. 

My questions please:

1. My main concern is around doing an FUE/FUT in the front, but the hair behind steadily receding in the frontal region, keeping in mind the Finasteride is slowing but not halting the loss. I visited a well-rated transplant surgeon lately, and their salesperson basically told me I could just keep getting FUEs to cover it up, but I am unsure about at what point? 
  2. Given this first procedure would cover my hairline for the indefinite future, would you recommend FUT first for thickness? I wear my hair down, so perhaps and FUE wouldn't be as noticeable in terms of perceived density? 

Thank you!

What’s the reason behind using over 5 mg of fin? What exact dose r u on?

As everyone has already stated, don't get a HT!  🦁 Stay on Fin... but 5 MG? Is that a typo?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

19 hours ago, voxman said:

Yes, I am back - I will be visiting and giving out my humble opinions and hopefully guiding the more 'mature' crowd here when needed...LOL!

Well you can't get much more mature than me.  I will be 73 in a month.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Well you can't get much more mature than me.  I will be 73 in a month.

*a challenger appears 

View my thread