Quick Q about proscar

Hey everyone,  just have a quick question about a prescription I got for 5mg proscar (finasteride). The pill is very small, it’s the same size as the 1mg tablets of generic finasteride I was taking. I have a good cutter and I’m able to quarter it, but it leaves it to the tiniest little piece of a tablet. Likely this isn’t a concern, but I just wanted to know if that’s fine for effectiveness? Obviously it has the same potency (slightly more cuz of the 1.25) but I’m just wondering if it will get worked through the system all the same or get broken down too quickly. 

as I wrote this up, I realize the question felt sillier and sillier. But I’ll leave it to see if anyone else had the same concern for a small pill 

thanks 

Hi TM

I hear you loud and clear... I found myself looking at this minute 1/4 pill on the tip of my finger thinking "what's the catch?".. Surely it can't work in such a small dinky amount... 

Well it's worked great with me since I started end Dec 19 post my HT.. 

My research told me the most prudent dose to take is 1/4 pill every M W F ie 3 times a week.. To help ensure no sides. 

The actual effective half life of fin is 30 days in the TISSUE of scalp not bloodstream.... Therefore this 7 times a week optimal dose trumpeted by the manufacturers is merely an exercise in "Optimal" extracting of cash from its customer base. 

1/4 pill 3 times a week and you're good to go.... Trust me. 

Z

• Administrators

Proscar and propecia is from the same makers Merck, so the quality should be the same, the only difference is the dosage.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It has worked fine me for over 2 decades...not to mention how much money it has saved me!

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Haha I was literally going post something like this. I’m taking proscar and I’m anxious  that the pill is so small when it’s cut up it that it is not doing anything. 🙈 Was even considering switching to prospecia to make sure. I’m on proscar at 4 months now and my hair has stayed the same so i think it must be doing something right.

I linked a video elsewhere today, by Dr Bhatti (Indian surgeon) where he discussed cutting up the proscar tablet. He says it’s most likely that when you do this some days you’re getting 1mg and other days 1.5mg (for example) due to the inaccuracy of the cutting mechanism. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is a whole other can or worms, because there is an argument that this up & down dosing is beneficial! Who knows.

In the end all that matters is how it works for you. Take it and see what happens!

You can see where the very lower horseshoe In my case (coronet) has been restored through the 3 times a week regime x 1.25 mg.... This area wasn't transplanted into.. Id know choice but to embrace the meds in the hope the very  lower miniaturised area would wake up and join the rest of the treated area.. 

I'm happy how its going so far 

The post op pic attached is from a couple of weeks ago.. Attaching my 4 month update shortly.. 

IMG_20200415_113759.jpg

IMG_20200415_125003.jpg

3 hours ago, Coady said:

Haha I was literally going post something like this. I’m taking proscar and I’m anxious  that the pill is so small when it’s cut up it that it is not doing anything. 🙈 Was even considering switching to prospecia to make sure. I’m on proscar at 4 months now and my hair has stayed the same so i think it must be doing something right.

Yeah I was throwing in regular 1mg every third day to be sure, because I have a little more supply. Should be fine however judging from what everyone is saying 

1 hour ago, Zoomster said:

You can see where the very lower horseshoe In my case (coronet) has been restored through the 3 times a week regime x 1.25 mg.... This area wasn't transplanted into.. Id know choice but to embrace the meds in the hope the very  lower miniaturised area would wake up and join the rest of the treated area.. 

I'm happy how its going so far 

The post op pic attached is from a couple of weeks ago.. Attaching my 4 month update shortly.. 

IMG_20200415_113759.jpg

IMG_20200415_125003.jpg

Yeah you definitely benefited from it, that’s amazing. I’ve watched the hair loss show on YouTube prior, up until about two weeks ago I was doing 3-4x a week, but I tolerate it well so I up’d it to every day.. mainly so I don’t have to think about what day it is every day too Loool 

13 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Yeah I was throwing in regular 1mg every third day to be sure, because I have a little more supply. Should be fine however judging from what everyone is saying 

It must be. Cause I went to a hair DR and he told me only to get proscar and never the generic version. 

Anyone know can you take proscar with food ? Like put in with potatoe or something or with porridge  😂 or is this a stupid question 😂

Edited by Coady

2 hours ago, Coady said:

Anyone know can you take proscar with food ? Like put in with potatoe or something or with porridge  😂 or is this a stupid question 😂

Lmao don’t think it matters mate, but I take it at night after dinner. 

IMHO, it does not matter, I have taken it with and without any food and either way it has worked efficiently for me.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

This is what I'm talking about. The blue pill is proscar quartered so 1.25 mg, and the red pill is 1mg generic finasteride. Both of these from the same pharmacy. The quarter is so tiny, its hard for me to grasp that it could have so much effect. 

Does anyone else get them quartered this small, or should I be on a hunt for a bigger proscar pill somewhere?

@gillenator  @Coady  @Melvin-Moderator  @Zoomster

IMG_9693.thumb.JPG.3306cd9af4b97dba5f916c049c452668.JPG

5 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

This is what I'm talking about. The blue pill is proscar quartered so 1.25 mg, and the red pill is 1mg generic finasteride. Both of these from the same pharmacy. The quarter is so tiny, its hard for me to grasp that it could have so much effect. 

Does anyone else get them quartered this small, or should I be on a hunt for a bigger proscar pill somewhere?

My proscar is the exact same as that.

1 hour ago, TorontoMan said:

Bro do u realize how much 1 MILLIGRAM is? It’s a super tiny amount. That propecia pill is mostly filler. People have been using quartered proscar for years with success. If you’re really that paranoid get the 1mg from Costco pharmacy for very cheap

LG is correct...you see, it's not the size of the pill that matters whether whole or quartered, it's the amount of the active ingredient within each piece.

Gillenator

Have not heard of many "if any" guys stating that they were having good success with the topical form of low dose finasteride.

Gillenator

On 4/22/2020 at 5:27 AM, Friedman said:

Why not try topical fin? That's what i'm using now... 

i think for most guys popping one pill a day and forgetting about it is the easiest it can get. the pill is so affordable nowadays as well that im willing to bet topical costs much more. however, if you are having side effects on oral fin then topical is def worth a try

I agree...I would only consider the topical form if I was having issues with the pill form.

Gillenator