Lowering Hairline Advice

Hi, looking for some advice on what would be realistic to do with my hairline. It’s always been very high and I have naturally thin hair which looks a lot thinner when I pull it back in the light as I usually wear it down. Currently I have a small amount of hair loss in the corners but I have been on finasteride for about 6 months and have seen some growth that’s not really visible in the lighting from the photos. I would like to lower it by a realistic amount while keeping a natural looking hairline. Would this be possible and how many grafts would be required for about 1-2cm lowering. Thanks for the help!

51496A65-A761-4BA2-9B5A-0B5050B34226.jpeg

5F49718A-A47A-4908-BFB0-6F8776D41945.jpeg

FC7C33BB-926C-42AB-A746-0E2F5AF94F4B.jpeg

A0504BEC-BCDD-4EA9-B302-53CBBC937DD4.jpeg

B9AD826B-591B-4C1F-9243-6D6844BF86F7.jpeg

AD90E8FA-4EAF-415A-9B67-DE1E1CF72460.jpeg

I agree you look like a nw1 with a small forehead 

If you know about the rule of thirds......

It is difficult to tell as I can only see 1/3 and not the entire face.  Would you be happy reinforcing what you have?  Consider hair grows forward at an angle...eventually the hairline will be lower by definition.  It is always best to error on the side of caution.  The worse thing that can happen is to be stuck with a juvenile hairline for the rest of your life.  Note, hairlines typically recede to a mature placement as we age.

You need to add minox, this thicken hair shafts nicely. Also add Stemoxydine (neogenic), helps reduce future hair loss by lenthening the growth phase, this works well with minox.

The issue with the HT in your case, is that its going to be hard to make it look dense enough with your thin hair caliber..its going to look like a very thin sparse, unnatural zone in front of a thicker one, and you may need more than one procedure to make it even decent looking. Why not try a very short 1 guard cut and see the feedback you get

You don't need a HT and an average doc will probably use grafts that are too thick to match the existing hairline.  In the wrong hands it could stick out like a sore thumb.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

IMHO it would be hard to lower it with the thinner hair caliber and it would definitely take several sessions to get the density to the point where it would make a more natural visual transition.

In addition, remember that only single hair grafts are required to graft the hairline and can you just imagine how many that would require?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

You say you've been on finisteride for 6 month and seeing some growth, so I'd stick with that for another 6 months at least and see how well it does before decidong on going forward with a hair transplant.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

It does take 12 months or longer to fairly evaluate these hair loss meds.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

17 hours ago, gillenator said:

It does take 12 months or longer to fairly evaluate these hair loss meds.

not really, if you are a good responder to minox you will see the same hair getting thicker at the base of the shaft as they grow, and less hair shedding, faster growth so perhaps a month or so to see results

That's very true but I am thinking in terms of long term use because some guys (including myself) experienced very favorable results with minoxidil in the first 6 months or so and then I began shedding unlike anything I have ever seen....so I stopped using it and it took another 15 months or so to gain back the lost density.

Gillenator

• 4 weeks later...