Between where does the scalp stretching happen in FUT? Can it make your previous hairline appear higher than before?

Say you remove a 1cm strip, that 1cm needs to be compensated for elsewhere in the scalp. Between where does the stretching tend to happen, and can it cause your hairline to be raised? Also, can it cause your density to be noticeably lowered due to grafts being stretched further apart? What exactly can happen here?

Edited by giegnosiganoe
  • Like 1

I don’t think it effects the rest of the head as long as there’s laxity.. but maybe a doctor or someone more experienced can chime in 

it won’t effect your hairline distance.

take your hand and move the back of your head up and down, like doing scalp laxity exercises. Do you feel your forehead moving? probably not. your hairline doesn’t move. laxity changes from area to area on the scalp and they’re not all “connected”

• Administrators

Every surgeon in the world has had a patient whose scar has stretched- this is largely physiological, it also can happen if you do some things post-op. That is one of the cons with FUT in my opinion, it's not a huge one, but it's definitely a con.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

When it comes to hair transplants, most patients have plenty of give in the donor to allow for multiple procedures.  This depends on a number of factors including the number of grafts to be harvested, careful planning as to where the grafts will come from, etc.... Most doctors will remove a strip, typically 9 mm.  Because of the give, the "stretch" is negligible and will not have an impact, at all, on the hairline.  There are cases however when this can happen.

In a lift, most doctors will work just behind the hairline.  This will result in a line scar, covered by the hair and can affect the position of the hairline.  Transplants are typically the solution.

I should mention - long ago this was an issue.  Particularly when MPR, balloons and other methods were used.  Not so much today.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:26 AM, hairlossPA said:

it won’t effect your hairline distance.

take your hand and move the back of your head up and down, like doing scalp laxity exercises. Do you feel your forehead moving? probably not. your hairline doesn’t move. laxity changes from area to area on the scalp and they’re not all “connected”

actually my forehead does move a bit. is this atypical? does that mean i have bad scalp laxity?