Nizoral 2% Shampoo - Good or Bad?

I've always read about the big 3: Fin, Minox, and Ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral) 2%. But lately everything I read on this forum about Nizoral is people complaining how harsh it was on their scalp, how they not only shed their native hairs but also lost their transplanted hairs permanently, etc etc.

My HT Doctor has recommended me to start using Nizoral 2 months after my HT. But after reading some of the posts on here, I'm worried a bit. Could it be that people used it too often (every day or every other day) and thats why it had these effects on them? Because I think it should be only used once or twice a week.

I will be using Minoxidil and Topical FInasteride in conjunction with microneedling, but I'm definitely not sure about Nizoral.... 

Anyone with more experience on Nizoral post-hair transplant??

Nizoral is quite a harsh shampoo, you’re absolutely right about that. It’s medicated and like any med, should not be overused. I only began using it about a month after my surgery as I have scalp issues. I only use it once a week. Personally, I would not exceed twice a week as spex has recommended on here for many years. I decided to stick to once a week bc I am trying to be more cautious.

it does have studies showing it is effective in addressing hair loss, but I think finasteride and minox will be doing a majority of the work.

31 minutes ago, LonelyGraft said:

Btw how often did ur doctor advise u to use it?

My Doctor told me at first to try to use it twice a week, if it proves to be too harsh on my scalp and makes it too dry then go down once a week. Inbetween that my Doctor recommended me to use a mild biotin shampoo with some herbal extracts, which should soothe the scalp in-between the Nizoral uses.

IMHO, if low dose finasteride is working well, no need to use Nizoral...just my opinion.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

12 hours ago, GokuHair said:

It can make you lose transplanted hairs? Jesus, really?

I had horrible dandruff, particularly after my operation and it knocked it out nicely. But now I'm worried

Yeah I read that some guy washed his hair post-op with nizoral and that he started shedding/losing transplanted hairs and that a few months after many of them didnt grow back. Maybe he over-used it, most likely, but still, it's a pretty harsh shampoo.

It is anti-seborrheic so dries the scalp a little but should not cause hair loss.  A small amount 2x a week is usually well tolerated by patients and they can moisturise also if needed but for dandruff is works well and as said use sparingly and is totally fine. I have not seen patients ever lose hair on it personally.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

You can use Nizoral once every 2 weeks, maybe even longer but definitely 2 weeks or more the last time I looked at the instruction.  I would never suggest more than once per week.

I gave up recently due to another reason (slight risk of interaction with a nasal spray for allergies).

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

19 hours ago, 1978matt said:

You can use Nizoral once every 2 weeks, maybe even longer but definitely 2 weeks or more the last time I looked at the instruction.  I would never suggest more than once per week.

I gave up recently due to another reason (slight risk of interaction with a nasal spray for allergies).

Are u sure? on italian instruction is 2 per week, not 1 every two weeks. 

29 minutes ago, duchaine said:

Are u sure? on italian instruction is 2 per week, not 1 every two weeks. 

It may depend on whether it is 1% or 2%.  Mine (2%) says:

or the first 2 to 4 weeks:

Use every 3 or 4 days to clear dandruff.

Thereafter:

Use once every 1 or 2 weeks to prevent dandruff from coming back.

If your scalp has not cleared after 4 weeks, you may not have dandruff and should seek further advice from your pharmacist or doctor.

51 minutes ago, det9925 said:

still not sure what it does for hair loss

There were some studies which showed that it blocks DHT from destroying hair follicles. And I'm sure that for some people, in smaller quantities, it does. But desperate people always think its a magic shampoo or something and use it everyday, and even if it works in blocking DHT in small quantities once or twice per week, when u use it every day, it's abrasive and harsh on your scalp and hair follicles and destroys your hair and does more damage than help.

• Like 1

• Moderators

How often you can or should use it depends on your hair type. When I was younger my hair was so oily that after just two or three hours after shampooing my hair my scalp and hair would be so extremely oily again. Nizoral was the only shampoo I found that actually kept my head from getting too greasy for more than a few hours, so I used it every day for years and that worked for me as far as the greasy/oily/gunkiness. As I got older my scalp was no longer as greasy/oily/gunky as it was when I was younger and I eventually stopped using Nizoral as I could see it was becoming too harsh to use daily by then.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 1/8/2020 at 3:02 PM, 1978matt said:

Hey matt. Which nasal spray? I use azelastine and Flonase so I’m pretty curious.

1 hour ago, LonelyGraft said:

Hey matt. Which nasal spray? I use azelastine and Flonase so I’m pretty curious.

Flonase (or Pirinase in the UK), which I had a bad experience with 6 months ago.  Ketoconazole has an interaction with it.

2 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Flonase (or Pirinase in the UK), which I had a bad experience with 6 months ago.  Ketoconazole has an interaction with it.

Thanks for that. Are you sure it’s not with oral ketoconazole? I checked it on a drug interaction site and it didn’t link them in any way 

6 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Thanks for that. Are you sure it’s not with oral ketoconazole? I checked it on a drug interaction site and it didn’t link them in any way 

You may be right.   On the guidance sheet it doesn't specify oral or topical, at least it didn't in my brand.

Despite using one spray of Flonase a day it built up in my system significantly and I ended up with some not very nice side effects!  Took a good few weeks for them to fade away too.

I'm only using saline nasal sprays from now on.

If the individual is dealing with a dry or flaky scalp then it never hurts to ask a dermatologist for an evaluation and also how often Nizoral or Nioxin should be used....everyone has a different situation and therefore should be treated on the basis of their own case.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY