Can we use anything for redness after HT

10 minutes ago, keysersoze said:

Hi all,

Just wondering, if anything can be used to speed up/help the redness in recipient area after from around 10 days or 2 weeks post op on? 

i have searched site but didnt find much except a few comments that suggest no. 

No restrictions after 2 weeks.  Mascara tends to work well. 

Go to the beauty counter at any of the major stores in the mall.  The "make-up artists" are really good at this.

4 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

No restrictions after 2 weeks.  Mascara tends to work well. 

Go to the beauty counter at any of the major stores in the mall.  The "make-up artists" are really good at this.

Thanks mate. What do you mean mascara? As in applying it to the transplanted hair so it looks thicker and thus diguises the red etc?? I was more thinking about stuff like aloe vera and bio oil etc to help get the red down but thats an interesting idea.

Yep foundation make up can help for sure..  Just use when needed and wash off when at home though to let skin breathe...    I used pure Aloe Vera , Witch Hazel and Aveeno which was good for reducing redness..    Sleeping well and lots of anti inflammatory foods and vitamins all help too in how quick you heal.  

Definitely don't use mascara, as that's typically black and used for eyelashes... (Ntm can often be semi-permanent and hard to remove). Either mascara means something different to LaserCap, or he just isn't well versed in makeup and beauty products. ;)

I've seen posts here before about guys claiming to use aloe vera, but I can't confirm how well it works from personal experience. My redness lasted longer than I wanted it to (have always had a sensitive scalp, so it was no surprise to me), but I was also able to wear a hat to work for the first 4 weeks so it wasn't a huge deal to me. 

I'd do a forum search of some former threads and see what you can find. I know there have been some detailed conversations about this over the years. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators

Haha yes I believe Lasercap was mixing up cover-up and mascara. Mascara is comparable to hair fibers, as it thickens up eye lashes. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, keysersoze said:

Hi all,

Just wondering, if anything can be used to speed up/help the redness in recipient area after from around 10 days or 2 weeks post op on? 

I have found in the short term that a quality aloe vera cream can help...long term a steroidal cream can help a lot but first seek your doctor's advice on using any steroid creams.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 9/3/2019 at 11:54 PM, keysersoze said:

Hi all,

Some patients get more redness than others and for some it's more persistent. Whilst there's nothing wrong with having redness in the recipient area, all my patients leave the clinic with a bottle of 99% aloe vera gel. It's soothing. Helps with healing and the redness. So that's my recommendation. 🙂

Yep, aloe vera gels and/or creams work magic with post-op redness for many individuals.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• Administrators

Aloe vers gel helped sooth my post op discomfort as well.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

And the thing is that it is probably the best cost option.

Gillenator

I met up with a friend this past weekend who is recovering from a torn ligament repair that has left his arm full of red marks and he mentioned that he puts fresh aloe vera on it every day to support the healing process.

The reason? When he was a teenager, he got 2nd degree burns on his face from a fryer while working at McDonald's, and the doctors assured him he'd have permanent marks/discoloration. His mom applied aloe vera on the burns every day throughout the healing process and he virtually has no signs of anything ever happening. Even the doctors couldn't believe how well he healed. I found that fascinating regarding combatting redness of the skin, so take that for what it's worth. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56