Using beard hairs for your hair transplant?

If you use your beard hairs for grafts that are placed on your head via FUE will it leave visible scars on your jawline and chin? I once read that area heals differently and the scar might not be visible at all... anyone know much about this?

• Administrators

I don’t believe that’s true, any wound that heals will produce a scar. The scars may be less visible because no one is really looking under your chin. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Chin and jawline it may be visible.  Scarring is there but limited if it is under the chin, most folks may not see it in that location as it really not an area the eues focus on much, but there will be scarring. Depends on size of punch used too.  Could be noticed close up.  For some folks it shows more than others.  Speaking from experience and also friends who have done this.  

On a side note, if working on hairline keep beard and nape hairs far away.  Could be used maybe for crown, fill scars, or random filler hair.  In general, Yield is not that good either.

best of luck

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sean said:

Chin and jawline it may be visible.  Scarring is there but limited if it is under the chin, most folks may not see it in that location as it really not an area the eues focus on much, but there will be scarring. Depends on size of punch used too.  Could be noticed close up.  For some folks it shows more than others.  Speaking from experience and also friends who have done this.  

On a side note, if working on hairline keep beard and nape hairs far away.  Could be used maybe for crown, fill scars, or random filler hair.  In general, Yield is not that good either.

best of luck

That makes sense, facial hair and hair on your head are vastly different so it probably isn't the best idea other than for the purposes you mentioned.

Cheers boys.

• Moderators

The area under the chin does seem to heal really well. My beard area scars are less visible than my chest scars. There is still some scarring, though, so it's not perfect. However because of the location most people will never even see any of the scars it because it's all under my chin except for a small section on both sides that extended out a bit and even then it just looks like I didn't do such a great job shaving or that I have a few pimples there. For the most part they would have to be looking for it to see anything and know what they are looking for. If I were to tilt my head back to show someone, the tilting back of my head stretches the area and makes it even harder to actually see that they are scars as they sort of disappear in the stretching with some of them looking like tiny stretch marks on my neck.

So... yes the scars are there, but it hasn't been any real concern to me. It's been several years since my first beard area session and my family still doesn't know I had anything done there.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Just to add...a friend of mine had some beard extractions done and then summer came.  He tans quite well and you could notice some whiter spots where the extractions were done...no doubt his dark tan produced more contrast and he had roughly 1200 done.

The thing about beard donor is the visual compatibility of it with scalp hair especially in the hairline...darker hair is more of an issue when the contrast is wide.  Beard hair tends to be much more coarse than diffusing scalp hair.

And beginning to hear more issues with the success in terms of overall yield.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Beard extractions will scar- just like any other incision. It is less obvious probably due to the location under the jaw but also because most beard hair is single haired follicles, sometimes two haired, so a smaller punch can be used in most cases and that could result in even smaller scars than the scalp.

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I had beard extractions under the chin and on the neck, no one can tell any difference.  The skin is relatively loose there, so perhaps the lack of tension on the extraction site is why there is no visible scar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 3:25 PM, gillenator said:

Just to add...a friend of mine had some beard extractions done and then summer came.  He tans quite well and you could notice some whiter spots where the extractions were done...no doubt his dark tan produced more contrast and he had roughly 1200 done.

The thing about beard donor is the visual compatibility of it with scalp hair especially in the hairline...darker hair is more of an issue when the contrast is wide.  Beard hair tends to be much more coarse than diffusing scalp hair.

Where have you seen that the yield is not that great with beard hair.   Is this just anecdotal or known?  I have seen numerous cases where people have achieved incredible results with beard hair.   Can you give science behind the less yield you are referring to?

My comments were not intended as scientific or clinical substantiations.

So please let me elaborate.  I have heard from a number of guys who had already done procedures using scalp donor with good satisfactory results and then subsequently used beard donor and not happy with the results in terms of both overall yield and visual compatibility.

Some of these guys used the beard grafts in their crown and had very disappointing results and why they reached out for my opinion.

Still, that does not IMHO equate to disclaiming using beard donor...some guys have used it successfully in their scars and other repair work.

In addition, when beard donor first became a hot topic in these online communities, many guys said they were having it done but never posted their results.

If you have seen numerous cases of incredible results, where are their pics because I would love to see them.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I can say from a sad etc experience the yield sucks and it is a rip off.  Only way beard hair surgeries may show a distinct result on scalp is if you do one of those bogus 8,000 plus graft surgeries where after you pay a large sum of money and the yield is like 20 percent.  Out of shitload of grafts where only few may grow due to poor yield but it is enough to maybe help.  If you get like 2000 grafts then the yield will probably be super low and turn out to be ineffective.  You are not going to get a showcase patient result out of those hairs even though you may be told great things pre surgery to get you to  sit in the chair.  They grow in odd angles too if the surgeon planted them inefficiently.  Aside from that, you cant use finasteride if you have body hairs on your scalp apparently.  

Highly recommend using such hairs as last resorts or for scar filler hair or something.  

Any of the folks you know that did beard hair to scalp grafting have posts across any forum that you can share?  

On 4/30/2019 at 5:20 PM, Sean said:

I can say from a sad etc experience the yield sucks and it is a rip off.  Only way beard hair surgeries may show a distinct result on scalp is if you do one of those bogus 8,000 plus graft surgeries where after you pay a large sum of money and the yield is like 20 percent.  Out of shitload of grafts where only few may grow due to poor yield but it is enough to maybe help.  If you get like 2000 grafts then the yield will probably be super low and turn out to be ineffective.  You are not going to get a showcase patient result out of those hairs even though you may be told great things pre surgery to get you to  sit in the chair.  They grow in odd angles too if the surgeon planted them inefficiently.  Aside from that, you cant use finasteride if you have body hairs on your scalp apparently.  

Highly recommend using such hairs as last resorts or for scar filler hair or something.  

Any of the folks you know that did beard hair to scalp grafting have posts across any forum that you can share?  

On 4/30/2019 at 5:20 PM, Sean said:

I 500 beard hairs implanted just behind front hairline.   I can assure you that most of the hair have grown.  Other users such as hairin on here also have had great yield.   Look on Dr. Umars site of the young man who had beard hairs used to restore his hair.    

On 4/12/2019 at 3:25 PM, gillenator said:

Where have you seen that the yield is not that great with beard hair.   Is this just anecdotal or known?  I have seen numerous cases where people have achieved incredible results with beard hair.   Can you give science behind the less yield you are referring to?