Getting a HT with diffused thinning...

Is it a good idea?

Any of you have diffused thinning and went and got a hair transplant?

The more I research into HT's and the industry as a whole it seems like the worst situation to have is diffused thinning on the top because you can have a HT to help restore some density but sooner or later, even with fin etc, you are destined to lose the other native hair sitting by the transplanted hair. This is my situation and it's making me second guess getting any work done.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Guy said:

Is it a good idea?

Any of you have diffused thinning and went and got a hair transplant?

The more I research into HT's and the industry as a whole it seems like the worst situation to have is diffused thinning on the top because you can have a HT to help restore some density but sooner or later, even with fin etc, you are destined to lose the other native hair sitting by the transplanted hair. This is my situation and it's making me second guess getting any work done.

Hey mate,

Just wondering how one would know if they have diffused thinning? Is it simply an extended rate of shedding, more or less?

in the same boat as you kiwi... obviously still sticking it out on fin but eventually I’ll need to come to this decision myself. And this was a question I had well before I had seen my results from fin.

I think ultimately it comes down to choosing a surgeon you trust the most. If you don’t act on it, it will never get better. would you rather not doing anything about it and wonder what if? I am in the mindset to tell/ask my surgeon to act like he’s working with a clean scalp with no hair. because eventually you need to realize that native hair won’t be there

• Like 1

I have higher degree of diffused thinning and I had my consult with H&W recently who said I can get decent results with 3500 grafts. I have Rahal consultation coming up as well so let's see what they say.

I was on FIN but stopped (or rather sabbatical) two weeks ago because of side effects, Now Lipogaine and laser cap. My plan would be to take FIN before and after the HT to ensure no shock loss but eventually I want to get off of FIN.

IMG_8577.jpg

22 minutes ago, Panamera13 said:

I have higher degree of diffused thinning and I had my consult with H&W recently who said I can get decent results with 3500 grafts. I have Rahal consultation coming up as well so let's see what they say.

I was on FIN but stopped (or rather sabbatical) two weeks ago because of side effects, Now Lipogaine and laser cap. My plan would be to take FIN before and after the HT to ensure no shock loss but eventually I want to get off of FIN.

IMG_8577.jpg

was that quote of 3500 planned for rebuilding the hairline? or would those grafts be spread from front to back? also FUT or FUE?

I would go only FUE, don't want the scar AT ALL. I'd take 15% poorer results instead.

The goal is to have a hairline and frontal third. I didn't ask for the distribution - how much in hairline/frontal third/mid scalp etc, maybe I would ask this as a follow up. 

I don't want to waste grafts in the crown. I'd leave that for caboki in short term and chest hair in long term. 

I didn't have a HT yet, so take whatever I say with grain of salt.

Diffuse hair loss is obviously bad, but tbh it is also what most people are destined to have as NW5 or NW6 sooner or later. Rarely seen a person who stopped losing hair at NW3 for example. 

There is plenty of good results posted here and around the web. H&W for example are good in this, doing up t 8K surgeries IIRC although that is rare. Many FUE surgeries are done with decent to very good results, like with Asmed etc 

You need to do your search and be comfortable with you are going with, also you need to decide your goals.

For example, some consider HT about hairline, so many clinics in Turkey will give you perfect hairline, temple area but weak coverage in the rest. Hattingen on other hand usually do a conservative hairline in comparison but stronger overall coverage, So that is up to you to decide. 

19 hours ago, spex said:

It’s a very difficult question to answer as everyone’s situ is different . 

Be prepared for shock loss. It could be temp but could be perm as depends on strength of hair! 

Taking finasteride to help strength situation is advisable as the stronger and more resistant you can make your native hair that you plan to HT into and around the better. 

Also so skill of the surgeon helps too !! 

Regards

spex 

Thanks spex, always appreciated, yeah I've pretty much come to the conclusion you stated, prepare for shock loss... it just makes it seem like a HT is pointless if you have diffuse thinning on your frontal third because it just means that hair is going to fall out and it's going to look sparse just with the transplanted hair.

11 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

in the same boat as you kiwi... obviously still sticking it out on fin but eventually I’ll need to come to this decision myself. And this was a question I had well before I had seen my results from fin.

I think ultimately it comes down to choosing a surgeon you trust the most. If you don’t act on it, it will never get better. would you rather not doing anything about it and wonder what if? I am in the mindset to tell/ask my surgeon to act like he’s working with a clean scalp with no hair. because eventually you need to realize that native hair won’t be there

Hey PA, yeah you are right, that's what it comes down to... would you rather not do anything about it and wonder if... exactly.

10 hours ago, Panamera13 said:

IMG_8577.jpg

Thank you for posting an example pic Pan, that is awesome, yes my diffuse thinning is starting to become like yours on my frontal third, none of the meds seem to be working anymore, I am also considering H&W for their strong results, keep us updated and I hope when you do go for it you get a stellar result mate!

Edit: Oh and you should seriously consider the FUT route if you keep your hair that long at the sides, it will hide the scar, you'll get stronger results, have more donor hair for the future and less chance of transection, something to consider.

Edited by Kiwi Guy

3 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

I didn't have a HT yet, so take whatever I say with grain of salt.

Diffuse hair loss is obviously bad, but tbh it is also what most people are destined to have as NW5 or NW6 sooner or later. Rarely seen a person who stopped losing hair at NW3 for example. 

There is plenty of good results posted here and around the web. H&W for example are good in this, doing up t 8K surgeries IIRC although that is rare. Many FUE surgeries are done with decent to very good results, like with Asmed etc 

You need to do your search and be comfortable with you are going with, also you need to decide your goals.

For example, some consider HT about hairline, so many clinics in Turkey will give you perfect hairline, temple area but weak coverage in the rest. Hattingen on other hand usually do a conservative hairline in comparison but stronger overall coverage, So that is up to you to decide. 

Yep you are right, you hardly ever see people stop at NW3, if I was going for a surgery where the amount of grafts I needed were around 3k plus I'd only go for FUT, FUE seems to be better for the short term but if you are going to have extensive hair loss over your life you need every graft you can, also you are right about the hairline thing... for me personally I'd rather have density and keep my hairline at where it is which is pretty high as is anyway... good post Harry.

19 hours ago, bonkling said:

Hey mate,

Just wondering how one would know if they have diffused thinning? Is it simply an extended rate of shedding, more or less?

Hey bro,

Basically if you run your hands through a certain area of your head and you feel that the hairs on the portion feel weaker and thinner than yeah it's most likely diffuse thinning, it's thinning and dying before it falls out realistically, take a look at Panamera's example of his own, that's the way diffuse thinning goes.

• Administrators

My hair was 99% diffused, you have to manage expectations. My hair still has thin spots and looks thin when wet or greasy. 

4E0ADD91-090B-4371-B7B8-02175DAF2D1B.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

My hair was 99% diffused, you have to manage expectations. My hair still has thin spots and looks thin when wet or greasy. 

4E0ADD91-090B-4371-B7B8-02175DAF2D1B.jpeg

Ok so a lot of Dr Dieps work on you during your procedures were in-between and around miniaturizing and weak hair and now your density looks really good... that gives hope to pessimism a bit. Did you experience shock loss and if so how much?

• Administrators

I didn’t experience any shock loss, but keep in mind my hair was pretty bad, so maybe I didn’t notice. It looked terrible before and terrible after until I started seeing growth. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is the result I would hope for; the pic is form Asmed. I, however, do not see any such results from H&W/Rahal/Koinor.

What do you guys think - Is my current hairloss situation same as this guy in his "before" pics?

asmed_5021_FUE.png

me.png

Edited by Panamera13

23 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I didn’t experience any shock loss, but keep in mind my hair was pretty bad, so maybe I didn’t notice. It looked terrible before and terrible after until I started seeing growth. 

I remember you stating you have had two procedures, how many grafts in total have you used for your coverage?

17 hours ago, Panamera13 said:

This is the result I would hope for; the pic is form Asmed. I, however, do not see any such results from H&W/Rahal/Koinor.

What do you guys think - Is my current hairloss situation same as this guy in his "before" pics?

asmed_5021_FUE.png

me.png

It's similar, that's a good result from Dr Erdogan... I would say most HT doctors deal with cases of diffused thinning

On 3/26/2019 at 11:51 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Would you say you have more hair now then when you first noticed your hairloss?