What percentage of my donor can be used ?

Hi guys ,, so how much of my donor hair can be used before it starts looking thin , or over harvested ? 50/60 percent ? I never buzz my hair .. always cut with  scissors only ..

im also confused when people say they have around 6000 -7000 grafts left they can use from their donor .. do u mean that’s how much donor hair u have total ? Or that’s the amount u still have left before it’s overharvested ? 

What u guys think of my donor ? Will that be enough to cover my head if I ever bald completely ? I think I might end up being a Norwood 4-5 in as I get older .. what u guys think? U guys think I should trim the back ? It’s getting kinda long .. was planning on keeping it long till I get a hair transplant so the doctor diep will know what he got to work with .. 

43222B13-492E-49C2-9A5A-97C5E049E36D.jpeg

D4404621-D083-4CDF-B522-2EA812617ED8.jpeg

A8806831-F5C8-4D3F-83CF-7F6595D9CBDE.jpeg

27C79862-FE9C-4925-B6F4-E3E180C518A7.jpeg

A5B86269-C9E2-4618-B658-58ADBEC9F09B.jpeg

Looks great but it could be kind of deceiving because of the long hair from higher up. If you could clip this up, your donor will be more clearer. I think I read you was in your early 20s, in that case it's probably too early to assess how much donor you will have. I wouldn't think too much about it just yet, I'd be more worried about the few greys already creeping up on you.

On another note when first glancing at your photos, I did have flashbacks of Wayne from Auf Wierdersen Pet........... probably before your time.

Edited by Shera

Thanks shera for the insight .. n nope not in my 20’s .. I’m almost 40 soon ?

Been blessed with a youthful face n nice hair for most my life .. 

its the stupid hairline recession .. creeping up Norwood 3 n it’s freaking me out .. I’m lucky to still be able to hide it right now .. but give it another year if I don’t get a good transplant ,, it’s time to pack up my bags cuz my good looking days will be leaving me .. Heheheh 

Wow, if you're nearly 40 and you still have natural hair like that then seriously you''ll be just fine. You've probably got enough donor to treat a Norwood 3 three times over. Just make sure it don't fail twice!!!

Don't throw in the towel just yet, there's way too much fun still to be had.

Okay that’s good to know .. I have enough donor density .. 

yeah I feel ya ,, I want to enter my 40s feelin good about myself .. still got a few good years in me :) damn hair has been making me feel depressed for the last two years ..  hopefully I should get a successful surgery .. worse thing for me is getting a failed transplant or mediocre unsatsifactory one ..   since I don’t really need one .. my hair is okay still , it’s doable  ,, but a good transplant will make my hair look great again .. 

Oh yeah n thanks for the encouragement spera, even though I still Have density , but the hair diameter is much thinner than before .. the hair texture is not coarse like the donor hair ..  I’m really nervous about it .. there’s no way I can last another 10 years without having bald areas .. 

On average. You may get 35%, but yes. That's what I'm saying. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

What if i don’t buzzcur my hair ? N keep it long like I do ?.. can I harvest more, around %50 of my donor before it looks patchy n depleted .. 

n also .. hopefully the mods can answer this too .. if we didn’t have mpb.. do the top n back hair have the same amount of hair ? Like how it was in our teenage days .. I’m trying to estimate how much of my hair lost n didn’t grow back .. if I compare my back to my top ., I feel like I lost about 50% .. 

Edited by Legend007

When people speak about X grafts left, it is the remaining hait until the donor thins out.

There is an interestig video from Erdogan/Lorenzo. They have an excel to calculate the amount of availabe hair. It is easy to reproduce and calculate the # yourself.  There are other methods as well.

19 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Hi guys ,, so how much of my donor hair can be used before it starts looking thin , or over harvested ? 50/60 percent ? I never buzz my hair .. always cut with  scissors only ..

im also confused when people say they have around 6000 -7000 grafts left they can use from their donor .. do u mean that’s how much donor hair u have total ? Or that’s the amount u still have left before it’s overharvested ? 

What u guys think of my donor ? Will that be enough to cover my head if I ever bald completely ? I think I might end up being a Norwood 4-5 in as I get older .. what u guys think? U guys think I should trim the back ? It’s getting kinda long .. was planning on keeping it long till I get a hair transplant so the doctor diep will know what he got to work with .. 

43222B13-492E-49C2-9A5A-97C5E049E36D.jpeg

D4404621-D083-4CDF-B522-2EA812617ED8.jpeg

A8806831-F5C8-4D3F-83CF-7F6595D9CBDE.jpeg

27C79862-FE9C-4925-B6F4-E3E180C518A7.jpeg

A5B86269-C9E2-4618-B658-58ADBEC9F09B.jpeg

Are you on "fin"?

If you're willing to fin, I'd fin for a good year before I get "Diep'd".

Finning may be enough.  You may not need to get Diep'd.

Edited by True

Yeah I’m on fin .. almost on fin for a year now .. I will do a fin thread later ,  I still have my before fin and after fin pictures .. a one year update of fin should be helpful for others..

it has helped my hair from falling out as easy .. crown seems intact .. but hairline is recessing a bit .. it didn’t improve my hair too much ..  but at least hair isn’t falling out as easily to where I’m freakin out thinking I be bald soon .. 

check out the hairline pic .. I think diep will be able to dense pack the hairline so it will look full with volume again .. only 3 months away :) right now I’m hanging in there I don’t use any products in my hair .. don’t want to damage my hair with chemicals because it’s thin .. n I don’t really care how I look too much .. my good looking days are over .. just want to be comfortable in my own skin n look decent .. 2000 grafts to the hairline should help ..  best thing is .. I have a lot of hair n it’s long .. so when I do a transplant I just comb it forward n won’t be stuck under a hat during the ugly duckling stage .. 

A1DDFC91-8843-4EA0-B6F6-473092E92890.jpeg

84AB826E-C750-4C45-A2E4-B990191C597C.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh yeah .. I’m really scared of the upcoming surgery .. feel like just accept that I’m aging n hair is thinning .. what am I doing spending $16,000 to get back some of my youth .. I don’t look too bad for someone almost turning 40 ..  I would hate the thought of me spending so much money to get poor growth ,, or long lasting redness or cobblestoning skin.. it’s scary..

.. some days I wake up n look in the mirror n hair don’t seems too bad . I’m comfortable like this .. . n some days it’s like damn .. a good hair transplant will do me good and I can have nice hair for a few more years .. but then  it could fuk me up n makes things worse .. I’m worried about that .. 

• Administrators

Legend, the medication will do nothing for your hairline, if you’re truly unhappy go for it. You’re choosing a good doctor, with a large portfolio if getting good results. The way I see it, it’s an investment in yourself. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks Melvin .. I really do want a hair transplant into my hairline .. when I look at my pics now .. it’s a shame if I dont transfer that dense donor I have into my top .. it will do wonders for me . I never realized how important hair was till I started losing it .. 

19 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Thanks Melvin .. I really do want a hair transplant into my hairline .. when I look at my pics now .. it’s a shame if I dont transfer that dense donor I have into my top .. it will do wonders for me . I never realized how important hair was till I started losing it .. 

This is a tough call, bro.

You've decided to fin.  That was a smart idea.

You picked a top doc.  Another smart idea. 

You're worried that the risk of surgery may trump the reward.  That also makes sense. 

If I were you, I'd first look into temporary scalp micropigmentation.  It's risk free.

Edited by True
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, True said:

I just looked at your face and your hairline again.

Dude.  

Forget the surgery for now.

Try the temporary SMP.

SMP is not three dimensional, it will only look natural if the hair is shaved down, otherwise it will look very unnatural. I don't think Legend plans to shave his head so its not really an option.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Depends upon scalp laxity, hair type etc.

Generally on the low end people have 5k worth of donor grafts and on the high end 10k, those are the two relative extremes.

Many fall in the 7k graft range.

• Thanks 1

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Nope no smp for me .. I’m not trying to hide balding areas .. toppik works just like smp n I don’t use it .. it doesn’t provide u with hair .. I want hair to make my hairline thick n dense n poofy like how it used to be .. .. like in my profile pic at 36 y/o ..  ..  

if I get a dense hairline . I should be okay when the top keeps thinning .: n if the crown/vertex gets worse hopefully toppik will help .. but from My own experience n helping others n seeing others hairloss .. I’m heading into losing my frontal third .. hairline n midscalp .. hopefully fin will retain the crown n vertex .. right now It doesn’t look like I’m a bald person ,; but I’m feeling like I have an old mans hair .: it’s thin flat .. :( 2000 grafts to the front would make a difference right ? I don’t mind transferring 2000 of my donor hair to my hairline .. my back hair is too thick right now I have to trim it soon ..

• Administrators

Legend, if I’m being honest with you, you’re a surgeons dream, close to 40, minimal hair loss, on finasteride. Every box is checked in terms for getting a good result. 

With that said, if you want to build volume now, try volumizing powder, it’s different from toppik, these powders make your hair  puffy and make it appear voluminous. Use a blow dryer first on cool and lift the hairline upwards while lightly curling the hair back with a round comb, after it’s dry put the powder in lightly and I guarantee you’ll have a nice voluminous appearing hairline. 

• Thanks 1

View my thread