UK member considering transplant (pics)

So I'm 27 and considering a transplant. I already take fin and minox and have done for a few years which seems to have halted further loss for the most part.

Ive had one consoltation in the UK so far in which the surgeon suggested 1500 grafts on the hairline and temples only, not touching the thin crown, at the cost of £7500. 

This is way over my budget of £3000-4000, so i'm looking for surgeon advice somewhere in the EU. I have attached pics of the current state of my hair. So my questions are:

1. If I go ahead with a transplant, should I focus on just the hairline corrected or the hairline and some grafts into the scalp?

2. Who would you recommend?

3. Is 1500 grafts a good amount or should I consider more? To be honest the more the merrier if price is right. Looking at FUE only

4. Has anyone here had a transplant who started with similar hair to me?

Thanks in advance.

hair1.jpg

hair2.jpg

hair3.jpg

hair4.jpg

hair5.jpg

You have really good hair, and a lot of native hair left. IF you stay on your meds you could be a “ one and done “ patient. However as bad as it sucks...you’re gonna have to get over the price. Don’t limit yourself. Don’t look for a bargain. I’d certainly go to one of the recommended surgeons on here. Yes, I’d start with hairline ( as many as I could get ) stay on meds and then address the crown later in life...if ever

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Well I dont want to blow money on an inferior transplant if I can get much better work abroad which just so happens to be less money. Plus everyone seems to rate Turkey and Belgium but I cant really research because you never know which reviews are legit and which are paid shills as is the case with Cinik

Hi Hairgone,

I would recommend approximately 1800 grafts to rebuild and strengthen your hairline and a further 1000 grafts to strengthen the crown.

I think you could do this within your budget with a recommended doctor from this site.

Feel free to get in touch.

1 hour ago, NEWHAIRPLEASE said:

Okay..

ill try and answer your question a different way...

i would NOT go with a surgeon that was not recommended on this site...even if it meant saving a thousand dollars. 

There are quite a few good doctors that aren't recommended on this site tbh. There also are a few that are recommended on this site that are a average at best. 

Just search for the thread where everyone names their top doctors and choose from there. I certainly wouldn't get a transplant in the UK though. Your budget may be a problem though as i think you'll need more than 1,500 grafts and going to a cheap doctor is a bit of a gamble.

Edited by BaldingtimetoLdar

45 minutes ago, BaldingtimetoLdar said:

There are quite a few good doctors that aren't recommended on this site tbh. There also are a few that are recommended on this site that are a average at best. 

Just search for the thread where everyone names their top doctors and choose from there. I certainly wouldn't get a transplant in the UK though. Your budget may be a problem though as i think you'll need more than 1,500 grafts and going to a cheap doctor is a bit of a gamble.

I completely agree with you in that there are good doctors from other places than this site..Lorenzo for example,,,I guess I should’ve said this site is a great place to start..

however I completely disagree that there are some doctors on here that are average at best. Not saying some aren’t better than others but I just don’t think you get a recommendation from this community being “ average at best “ that would kinda defeat the purpose of this website. 

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

2 hours ago, NEWHAIRPLEASE said:

Okay..

ill try and answer your question a different way...

i would NOT go with a surgeon that was not recommended on this site...even if it meant saving a thousand dollars. 

Baubac, Freitas, Couto, Lorenzo or Keser? All at the level of the top 5% recommended by this site. 

Agree with your point that the doctors here are by no means the average and are well above it, but that doesn't mean there aren't unaffiliated surgeons well above the average here and as good as even the best recommended surgeons.

Agree with BaldingtimetoLdar that OPs losses are too extensive to be considering the UK when on a budget. There are better surgeons for significantly cheaper elsewhere when considering FUE. Minimum 3500 grafts for both crown and hairline, + the one drawn on there is VERY conservative. 

• Administrators

IMO 1,500 grafts is too conservative, I think 2,000-2,500 seems more reasonable. With that said, I’m not sure who you consulted with that gave you that estimation. We recommend Dr. Farjo and Dr. Reddy, these two surgeons out out excellent results. Be careful and research slowly, do not go to hair transplant mills where nothing is known about the surgeon performing the surgery. Be careful with surgery in Turkey, if you want to choose Turkey look in to Erdogan. 

Warmest regards- Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

So Dr Demisoy emailed me back and said I need 3000-3500 for the hairline and crown total. Which is reasonable at 1.25 euro per graft. What do you think?

Im considering either him or the guy in Cyprus, Dr Maras if I recall.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:41 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

IMO 1,500 grafts is too conservative, I think 2,000-2,500 seems more reasonable. With that said, I’m not sure who you consulted with that gave you that estimation. We recommend Dr. Farjo and Dr. Reddy, these two surgeons out out excellent results. Be careful and research slowly, do not go to hair transplant mills where nothing is known about the surgeon performing the surgery. Be careful with surgery in Turkey, if you want to choose Turkey look in to Erdogan. 

Warmest regards- Melvin

2000-2500 for just the hairline or hairline and crown thickening?

Do you have any additional picture from crown? Maybe I'd focus on frontal at the moment.

You are still very young so I agree with a conservative approach, maybe 2000+ for frontal area. Your baldness will probably progress in years, so it is important to manage donor properly.

Regards,

• Administrators
On 7/19/2018 at 5:47 AM, HairGone29 said:

2000-2500 for just the hairline or hairline and crown thickening?

2,000-2,500 for the hairline, I am assuming you want to lower the hairline, in order to match the density with the rest of your hair you will need at least 2,000 grafts. That would be about 40-50 follicular units per square centimeter. This is a conservative amount too, that would not be an ultra dense procedure. I wouldn't touch the crown yet.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

2,000-2,500 for the hairline, I am assuming you want to lower the hairline, in order to match the density with the rest of your hair you will need at least 2,000 grafts. That would be about 40-50 follicular units per square centimeter. This is a conservative amount too, that would not be an ultra dense procedure. I wouldn't touch the crown yet.

Why should I not touch the crown yet if it has been stable since 2013?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, HairGone29 said:

Why should I not touch the crown yet if it has been stable since 2013?

IMO there still exist a possibility of permanent shock loss, especially since there are so many miniaturized follicles in your crown, theres too much density still for the surgeon to really be able to transplant hairs in the surrounding areas without damaging existing follicles. Obviously, I'm not saying it is impossible, but there is a risk and if I were you I wouldn't risk it personally, a sprinkle of toppik and your crown would look fine.

View my thread

8 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

IMO there still exist a possibility of permanent shock loss, especially since there are so many miniaturized follicles in your crown, theres too much density still for the surgeon to really be able to transplant hairs in the surrounding areas without damaging existing follicles. Obviously, I'm not saying it is impossible, but there is a risk and if I were you I wouldn't risk it personally, a sprinkle of toppik and your crown would look fine.

Could the same not be said for shock loss occuring after a transplant into the hairline and temples, possibly mid scalp as well?

• Administrators
Just now, HairGone29 said:

Could the same not be said for shock loss occuring after a transplant into the hairline and temples, possibly mid scalp as well?

Hairline no, because the photos you posted show a hairline design lowering the hairline where there is no hair, so there isn’t a possibility of shock loss. The midscalp absolutely. IMO there isn’t enough loss to work on the midscalp. Of course, you are free to do what you like, this is just my opinion. Considering the risks I’m not sure I would do it if I were you, I think with a dense packed hairline you’d pretty much look like you have a full head of hair. You’d be surprised the difference a hairline makes, it’s always better to opt for density as opposed to trying to sprink hair everywhere. Especially, if the places you’re trying to add grafts don’t necessarily need them. Whatever you decide wish you the best. 

Warm regards - Melvin

View my thread

19 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hairline no, because the photos you posted show a hairline design lowering the hairline where there is no hair, so there isn’t a possibility of shock loss. The midscalp absolutely. IMO there isn’t enough loss to work on the midscalp. Of course, you are free to do what you like, this is just my opinion. Considering the risks I’m not sure I would do it if I were you, I think with a dense packed hairline you’d pretty much look like you have a full head of hair. You’d be surprised the difference a hairline makes, it’s always better to opt for density as opposed to trying to sprink hair everywhere. Especially, if the places you’re trying to add grafts don’t necessarily need them. Whatever you decide wish you the best. 

Warm regards - Melvin

I Was thinking 2500 for hairline and 1000 into the crown? Since the crown is thin anyway, the roots there are hanging in by a thread, even with long term fin and minox. Surely 1000 donated grafts into the crown will look thicker than 1000 miniaturised roots? Not that it is a strait number for number swap since Im sure SOME will survive. 

I guess Ill leave the crown then and maybe get a hairline transplant. Still on the fence about the whole idea. Mainly due to the time it takes to get the result.

The crown isnt too bad depending on how I style it, just look at the difference combing it forward makes. It looks like the difference between no crown transplant and a crown transplant lol.

IMG_20180721_192431116.jpg

IMG_20180721_192545991.jpg

• Administrators

If you’re on the fence do not go through with it. Hair transplants are not for everyone. Hair transplants are a process of transplantation, shedding, growth and maturation, it can take up to 18 months to see the results fully manifest. I would much rather you wait and research slowly than jump in and feel disappointed. 

Warm regards- Melvin 

View my thread