Did I agree to make my hairline too high?

hitherehair

Hi folks!

Had an FUT surgery about a month ago and i'm starting to have regrets about my hairline. Rather not say who but my surgeon is known for being conservative with hairlines. In retrospect he's probably right because hairlines have to look appropriate at all stages of life. I'm hoping that when the hair grows it'll fall a bit making my hairline appear lower. What say you guys.

fullsizeoutput_209.thumb.jpg.733729834680ad836320174872bc50fb.jpg

Hi folks!

Had an FUT surgery about a month ago and i'm starting to have regrets about my hairline. Rather not say who but my surgeon is known for being conservative with hairlines. In retrospect he's probably right because hairlines have to look appropriate at all stages of life. I'm hoping that when the hair grows it'll fall a bit making my hairline appear lower. What say you guys.

I had a hair transplant and 10 years later I'm balder than before. It didn't work for me.

Hi folks!

If you’re looking for an honest opinion, l would say that the new hairline does look high considering you can still see where your original hairline was. That being said, you may still have some swelling from the surgery in the front, so your “final” hairline won’t be evident until the swelling is 100% gone. It doesn’t look bad though and donor supply may have limited how aggressive you could be.

Thanks for your honest assessment buddy. I’m 100% certain all the swelling has subsided. When the doctor was drawing the hairline I do remember him saying we need to be cognizant of donor supply because we have a lot of real estate to cover. I agree that it doesn’t look terrible but I’ve always been bothered by what I perceive as having a large forehead. Like I said, hopefully the hair falls forward when it grows back in.

Mr. hitherehair,

You do not have any swelling at one month post-op so your hairline is where it is, as it appears. It is a conservative design but this is not a bad philosophy to adhere to and is necessary for patients with advanced hairless and limited resources for donor hair. However, hairlines can always be lowered if they are too high instead of raised if they are too low. Give your result time to grow and reveal itself and you'll know how to move forward in the future but until then you should not worry about it's current position. It is fine.

Better higher, than too low and you end up with advanced baldness and a low, permanent hairline. I think when it starts growing in, you'll appreciate the design, as well as when you get older.

You can always have it lowered with a second procedure, if you're not happy with this result.

hitherehair,

It's honestly hard to tell from the pictures but the truth is, depending on your hair loss behind the hairline, it's better to get a higher hairline and cover the top of the scalp than a youthful one and not have enough to cover the top. So I agree that it would be good to wait the 12 months and see what it looks like. And then you can prepare for a second procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill

I had a hair transplant and 10 years later I'm balder than before. It didn't work for me.

And...?? Your reply to this thread is irrelevant regarding your hair transplant. What was the point?

For a 1st post, that's a fail.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

That hairline is conservative, but in no way 'too high'. It does its purpose - it frames your face nicely.

At this stage, you should relax and hope that everything grows well. It is always better to start with a conservative hairline, because the fact is - most people do not have enough grafts in the bank for more aggressive hairlines.

As a general rule, I think high hairlines look more natural, especially as you get older. I worry that guys who have had a low hairline created by HT that looks great now will look silly at 50-60-70.

Relax, take a deep breath. It looks fine.

A high hairline is not a bad thing in hair restoration, as it can provide you with an age-appropriate framing to your facial features and also give you ample remaining donor graft supply left to perfect the required density and also do things like adding temple points etc for perfection - things you won't be able to do if you chased a very low hairline.

However there are important aesthetics that need to be taken into consideration (rule of thirds for facial features for example), not to mention what hairline height makes you the patient satisfied.

Here's a link to an oldie but goodie HRN thread below.

I believe 6.5-7cm is a good height to aim for depending on one's level of balding (mine is slightly lower than 6.5cm and feels slightly "high" for me with short hair, but the "higher" height than a juvenile hairline has allowed me to add density and temple points in subsequent procedures).

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/149969-hairline-height.html

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Like the others have said, it's better to go too high than it is too low.... And I think this could end up looking really great for you. And if you respond well and your hair loss seems to stabilize and you want to lower it a tad, that's something you could discuss with your surgeon in the future.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Its not remotely bad. The other thing to point out is that when your bald or your hair is cropped very short after a HT, then the forehead always appears overly large.

When your result grows in, if you grow it out to a decent length (doesn't need to be Jon Snow length) then providing you have the density, it will fall down and cover your temples/forehead, even if you try and brush it back, it will do this naturally. In effect, you forehead will naturally start to shrink before your very eyes, but you need to give it 12 months before you see this effect take place.

And as others have pointed out, if you still feel after 12 months that you want it lowered, then you still have the option with a second procedure.

Your doc got it spot on.