Any recommendations on Surgeons other than Gabel?

Hello, I'm not sure exactly where to post this but I was looking into initially getting my hair transplant with Dr. Gabel because of his proximity to where I live. After countless emails to him and then trying to schedule with his assist Whitney, I gave up as they don't follow up with emails very well and he still refuses to quote any price at all. (actually quite upset with how frustrating it's been with their office)

Anyway, I was looking into Hasson and Wong in BC but prefer to stay in the states. I currently live in Washington and was hoping there was someone closer that anyone could recommend.

Thank you

Strange, I've been emailing Dr. Gabel for a couple weeks now and just set up a date for the procedure and it all went smoothly, didn't have to press him for the price or anything like that.

But, what he said ^. In that general part of the U.S it's really Gabel and Konior at the top as far as I know, but Konior has a year+ long wait. Dr. Alexander is another one to look into, he's in Arizona. If Canada then H&W also are on the list.

Hello, I'm not sure exactly where to post this but I was looking into initially getting my hair transplant with Dr. Gabel because of his proximity to where I live. After countless emails to him and then trying to schedule with his assist Whitney, I gave up as they don't follow up with emails very well and he still refuses to quote any price at all. (actually quite upset with how frustrating it's been with their office)

Anyway, I was looking into Hasson and Wong in BC but prefer to stay in the states. I currently live in Washington and was hoping there was someone closer that anyone could recommend.

Thank you

Have you tried booking an appointment through his website? Because without fail someone should call you within 72 hours, I've done it with him twice and know how Dr. Gabel's office runs things.

Are you claiming that you're speaking with Dr. Gabel's scheduler and they are not letting you book a time? I find that a little incredulous, why would the Gabel clinic not talk to you about calendar availability? That's pretty much unheard of.

Did they give you a reason? Have you called and spoken to Whitney on the phone or anyone else at the office and stated you want to look at possible dates for booking a procedure?

I'm a pretty big fan of Gabel after two procedures with him, and I just find it hard to believe that either he or his staff would deliberately ignore a potential patient, because that's not the experience I and a couple of his former patients had that are on this forum.

I'd pick up the phone and call, let them know your emails are not going through if that's the true case.

As far a price is concerned, he's pretty up front about four bucks a graft for FUT, been that way for years. Not sure what the FUE cost is, again, I don't think that is secret information being withheld from you if you're asking for it.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Randomusername

I apologize if your email did not get answered. I start answering emails at 3:30 AM on most days and answer them throughout the day. I do my best to have all emails answered before I go to work at 6:00 AM.

If yours fell through the cracks, I apologize. I am trying to do my best since I answer all email inquiries personally. I will also check with my staff to make sure all the processes are in place.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Konior or Hasson + Wong.

Thank you, I will look into Dr. Konior and will be contacting Dr. Hasson & Wong.

Strange, I've been emailing Dr. Gabel for a couple weeks now and just set up a date for the procedure and it all went smoothly, didn't have to press him for the price or anything like that.

But, what he said ^. In that general part of the U.S it's really Gabel and Konior at the top as far as I know, but Konior has a year+ long wait. Dr. Alexander is another one to look into, he's in Arizona. If Canada then H&W also are on the list.

Wish I had the same experience. Thank you, I will check those Doctors to see what is available and decide then.

Have you tried booking an appointment through his website? Because without fail someone should call you within 72 hours, I've done it with him twice and know how Dr. Gabel's office runs things.

Are you claiming that you're speaking with Dr. Gabel's scheduler and they are not letting you book a time? I find that a little incredulous, why would the Gabel clinic not talk to you about calendar availability? That's pretty much unheard of.

Did they give you a reason? Have you called and spoken to Whitney on the phone or anyone else at the office and stated you want to look at possible dates for booking a procedure?

I'm a pretty big fan of Gabel after two procedures with him, and I just find it hard to believe that either he or his staff would deliberately ignore a potential patient, because that's not the experience I and a couple of his former patients had that are on this forum.

I'd pick up the phone and call, let them know your emails are not going through if that's the true case.

As far a price is concerned, he's pretty up front about four bucks a graft for FUT, been that way for years. Not sure what the FUE cost is, again, I don't think that is secret information being withheld from you if you're asking for it.

Thank you, I wish I had the same experience, I will probably look elsewhere even though Dr. Gabel was my first choice and seems to be generally well regarded within the field. After the communication issues, I decided to look elsewhere even if it is more expensive.

Random username,

Like others have said, I too am surprised that you were having scheduling issues. I'm a little unclear as to what you experienced exactly especially since Dr. Gabel is usually quite diligent in returning emails and calls personally. These kind of things can happen however, in advertently. If you are emailing him and simply not getting a response, perhaps your email is not going through or is bouncing or is getting caught in spam. But you mentioned Dr. Gabel's assistance but I'm unclear as to why you couldn't schedule, are you speaking with her on the phone? If you were already speaking with her, why wouldn't things get scheduled? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I also am confused because you're literally just had a reply on your topic from Dr. Gabel apologizing for any in advertent communication issues. Yet, you didn't even acknowledge his post even though you responded to everybody else.

Is there a reason why you didn't respond to Dr. Gabel on this topic? Since he has responded personally to hear, I do suggest giving him another chance and either replying publicly or calling the clinic to speak with him at a time and he says he's available so that there are no additional possible mistakes.

Best wishes,

Bill

I've met with 4 HT Docs and he is by far the most humble/honest in my opinion. I saw him AFTER I had a transplant elsewhere and he still offered a free consult and spent more than an hour with me. More importantly, I really feel he has the patience's best interest in mind with long term planning.

It's your life, your head, your hair, but it would be a mistake to not at least consult with him.

Posters like this seem shady. You supposedly are the only one who has had issues contacting Dr. Gabel and then he replies on this thread and you ignore him. Seems suspicious.

Edited by matt3480
Typo

Going to be honest, all this begging is a bad look. Likely a simple once off mistake in communication, but the fact that this posts warrants moderators and ten posters to come and back up Gabel (some to outright accuse OP of lying about a common, basic error) certainly makes me less positive about Gabel, not more.

The response from Gabel was very fair and positive, but certainly if I was OP I would look else where when seeing this cult mentality. If his work stands up, he shouldn't need others including a moderator to beg a poster to have a consultation with him to the point they use insults and call him a liar. Take a step back and see how ridiculous that looks.

Edited by JeanLDD

Going to be honest, all this begging is a bad look. Likely a simple once off mistake in communication, but the fact that this posts warrants moderators and ten posters to come and back up Gabel (some to outright accuse him of lying about a common, basic error) certainly makes me less positive about Gabel, not more.

The response from Gabel was very fair and positive, but certainly if I was OP I would look else where when seeing this cult mentality. If his work stands up, he shouldn't need others including a moderator to beg a poster to have a consultation with him to the point they use insults and call him a liar. Take a step back and see how ridiculous that looks.

C'mon now this is a bit much, nobody is begging him to do anything, two or three have suggested he not give up on him over what is almost assuredly a unintended communication mishap and others were just asking for clarification on what exactly he experienced since it isn't that clear in his post. One person leveled a "shady" accusation and one other agreed.

While I didn't accuse him of anything but simply relayed my experience during the same timeframe this (supposedly) happened in and pointed him in other top doc's direction, the part where he points a finger at Dr. Gabel for "still refusing to quote a price at all" set off my alarm bells since he offered it to me as part of a email before I even had to ask him about it and OP makes it sound like he's been trying to get the Dr. to give him the price and he's refused/dodged it. OP ignoring the doctor's own post and all requests for more clarifying info have just added to my initial mild skepticism, forgive me for also being a bit suspicious at this point.

When I was doing my doctor research a thread like this would be very relevant and it's nice to hear a range of people's input/experience which is why I responded at all since you nailed the alternative doctor list right off the bat.

Jean, Dr. Gabel is one of the top doctors in the USA in my opinion. No one is begging anyone to do anything. I'm trying to help people out and steer them in the right direction and I believe Dr. Gabel is "the right direction." If you don't feel this way then that is your opinion. I'm sorry but I do not believe this story based on Dt. Gabel's track, my past experience correspondence with his clinic, and the lack of posts from the forum member (2). If it is true, I apologize to the poster.

Sigh, I never needed to post on this forum before, I recently started looking into hair replacement and came here for help, not to be attacked as a liar or someone that is working for another surgeon.

As to why I never responded to Dr. Gabel, he messaged me (through this forum) and I don't really know how to respond. I don't know if it is genuine concern or a PR thing. Also, after the emails without any response, I didn't think he wanted me as a client and I wasn't going to call someone that didn't even respond to my emails. (I checked personal email and still haven't received any response)

I apologize if this is the wrong place for me to ask for help, that is all I wanted. Just a few recommendations, that's all.

Also, thank you Jean, just asking for help and getting attacked as disingenuous as a new member on the forum is disheartening.

Hairloss hits you hard at any Age. If you care about your appearance, you will care about it a for your entire life. And, you are faster 35 then you think ;-) There are countless examples of People in their 50, 60 or even 70 proving this.

That beeing said, when you are Young, you will be most likely alone with you hairloss. When you are 40 there will be many People in your peer group experiencing the same. An top of that, many People will be more confident when they Age. Being bald Young means: a) you do not have this confidence yet and b) maybe you do not have the Chance to ever get it.

Sigh, I never needed to post on this forum before, I recently started looking into hair replacement and came here for help, not to be attacked as a liar or someone that is working for another surgeon.

As to why I never responded to Dr. Gabel, he messaged me (through this forum) and I don't really know how to respond. I don't know if it is genuine concern or a PR thing. Also, after the emails without any response, I didn't think he wanted me as a client and I wasn't going to call someone that didn't even respond to my emails. (I checked personal email and still haven't received any response)

I apologize if this is the wrong place for me to ask for help, that is all I wanted. Just a few recommendations, that's all.

Also, thank you Jean, just asking for help and getting attacked as disingenuous as a new member on the forum is disheartening.

Having had a consult with Dr Gabel, I tend to believe it is genuine concern coming from his trying to contact you, that said, I also understand completely why you're choosing to pass based on your experience. I also had a very poor communication experience with a Dr that is near the top of most peoples list as an elite fue surgeon and it was the primary factor in why I didn't go with him. You have to have confidence in your doctor and if you get a reason that makes you lose confidence, feel unimportant what have you, then you're within your right to find one that you ultimately feel better with. I don't think it's fair to bash any poster for sharing an experience that was negative but it's also fair for other posters to share their positive experiences as well . I did not use Dr Gabel but my experience in consult with him was excellent so I tend to believe people have had very good experiences with this doctor but I also believe even in great clinics mistakes happen so what's done is done, the Dr has reached out, and the patient has decided to go another route and fair enough on both sides. Don't let this experience with the forum dishearten you random, there are good people here and lots of experience and insights to pick up from here.

Don't worry about it man, people are naturally skeptical on these kinds of boards because nefarious shills are a thing and this is a bit of a unusual thread.

If you run a search on here you'll find a lot of positive experiences with Gabel going back years (in fact this is the first negative toned one I've seen and I've read most all of them) so I'd say his PM is genuine. If he doesn't think you're a good candidate I'm sure he would just tell you that and give the reasons so you're educated about your situation, not leave you hanging. I find it amazing that he does the consult emails himself but naturally it means there might be more delay between emails or one falling behind as he's also doing procedures.

If you're too shook by it then either get in line for Konior in Chicago or go with Dr. Hasson in Vancouver.

With all due respect, if you're not gong to respond to the doctor trying to communicate with you, why are you complaining about a lack of communication with him?

It sounds like he reached out to you here because your emails have gotten lost in cyberspace if they exist and he was trying to establish contact with you to get to the bottom of it.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

To be honest, this whole topic is throwing up red flags everywhere. I suspect that some of you may think I'm being harsh, but I've been a member of this forum for 13 years, 10 of which I've been managing it. "Randomusername" (an alias that even sounds fishy) apparently doesn't know how to check and respond to private messages (they are enabled, I checked), but knows how to use the blockquote feature to respond to remarks by other posters point by point. Furthermore, Dr. Gabel responded publicly and "Randomusername" didn't respond care to respond to him?

Furthermore, I spoke to Dr. Gabel about this and he's been through his staff's email and there was only one message from "Randomusername's" location. And Dr. Gabel was personally emailing with him.

This may not seem like a big deal to most, but doctors depend on their reputation online. This topic make it seem like Dr. Gabel doesn't respond and the title of this topic calls his reputation into question with the title "Any recommendations on Surgeons Other than Gabel".

So I'm sorry if I'm taking a bit of a left handed approach with this. But I believe a genuine patient would have responded to Dr. Gabel either publicly or privately thanking him for responding and there would have at least been some evidence in Dr. Gabel's staff's email that missed or neglected emails existed.

At best, a genuine individual claims he couldn't get a hold of Dr. Gabel but when Dr. Gabel responded immediately, the patient didn't bother to respond. At worst, we have someone trying to make Dr. Gabel purposely look bad. Either way, this topic serves no purpose so I am locking it and then archiving it out of public view once everyone has had a chance to read my response.

Best wishes,

Bill