2017 Who are your top 3 MDs for aesthetic sense?

It seems from searching the old posts that this is a topic on which opinion has evolved over years, as older docs retire and new guys show up, but I was wondering, regardless of FUT or FUE, who are your top 3 as of 2017?

There are a large number of excellent guys on this site, but some of the names I am not used to seeing. I was wondering if folks on here had a consensus opinion about who their favorites were..

Subjective question you'll have to answer for yourself, many doctors do great hair line work, some more conservatively than others.

Consistent work can be found by Dr. Gabel, Konior, Feller, Rahal, Hasson and Wong, Cooley and more in North America.

I recommend you start with that list and narrow down your preferences, no harm in consulting with them all and comparing.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Great question. Always a good discussion starter. The "art" side of hair restoration.

It begs the question of what defines aesthetics? There are so many elements that lend to a great hair transplant. We can talk density, angles, design, coverage, etc.

Wondering what the thoughts are on criteria that define a great aesthetic results?

--Tara

Edited by RahalHairTransplant
change signature

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

It's tough to narrow it down to 3 but for me

Dr Cuoto

Dr Konior

those 2 are the clear faves for me then it's a toss up

Diep Rahal Hasson Erdogan Feriduni Bisanga Keser DeFreitas all of them can produce outstanding results

It seems from searching the old posts that this is a topic on which opinion has evolved over years, as older docs retire and new guys show up, but I was wondering, regardless of FUT or FUE, who are your top 3 as of 2017?

There are a large number of excellent guys on this site, but some of the names I am not used to seeing. I was wondering if folks on here had a consensus opinion about who their favorites were..

After 7 years on this forum it's still Hasson and Konior.

The only thing that has changed is that they both now also perform FUE as well.

Surgeons new on the radar because they are overseas and had not previously received attention on US forums are Couto, Erdogan (not so new to HRN members) and Keser.

Oh and there is that one Beverly Hills FUE surgeon but I'm still up in the air because of the clinics's past dealings..

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 3 weeks later...

Comforting to hear some consistency in the responses.

Cuoto is a new name, and though their clinic reps have posted nice results, does he have any results submitted by patients? I will do some digging through the Spanish forums (Recuperar el pelo) as I am fairly fluent. If any one is aware of specific threads there or elsewhere that stand out, would love to hear them. Also, 3.5 years is kind of crazy, either he operates very slowly or has the greenest thumbs in Europe.

I was surprised to see less mention of names like Lorenzo, Erdogan, etc. and it seems that the clinics themselves are not posting results that much anymore. Is this just a change in their advertising market or has the hype about the European 'FUE gods' faded with time?

I am in the US, so I would prefer an American doc just because I feel they are more accountable just by virtue of being in the United States, but money is not an issue if someone is the right guy. I am also wiling to be patient as far as waiting list (ie. a year out is not a problem), though within reason (3-5 years out is just silly).

Comforting to hear some consistency in the responses.

Cuoto is a new name, and though their clinic reps have posted nice results, does he have any results submitted by patients? I will do some digging through the Spanish forums (Recuperar el pelo) as I am fairly fluent. If any one is aware of specific threads there or elsewhere that stand out, would love to hear them. Also, 3.5 years is kind of crazy, either he operates very slowly or has the greenest thumbs in Europe.

I was surprised to see less mention of names like Lorenzo, Erdogan, etc. and it seems that the clinics themselves are not posting results that much anymore. Is this just a change in their advertising market or has the hype about the European 'FUE gods' faded with time?

I am in the US, so I would prefer an American doc just because I feel they are more accountable just by virtue of being in the United States, but money is not an issue if someone is the right guy. I am also wiling to be patient as far as waiting list (ie. a year out is not a problem), though within reason (3-5 years out is just silly).

Also, does anyone know if Cooley does FUE?

A lot of that "fade" may have to do with Turkey being a bit of a dicey tourist proposition at the moment.

I also think the lion's share of people on this forum are North American, and that kind of travel is largely impractical to them, especially given the quality of domestic doctors.

A lot of that "fade" may have to do with Turkey being a bit of a dicey tourist proposition at the moment.

I also think the lion's share of people on this forum are North American, and that kind of travel is largely impractical to them, especially given the quality of domestic doctors.

That's a good point for Erdogan, but Lorenzo is in Spain, right?

I don't think there are significant differences among the best surgeons.

Aside from finance I've studied visual arts, so I take serious issue with this statement. Just look at the area of temple points, look between Lorenzo, Bisanga and Erdogan. Three surgeons that would be regarded on the top end, and three surgeons that claim their approach utilises cues from their ethnicity, bone structure and facial features and yet their approach is COMPLETELY different. We are talking very consistent approaches across almost every case for each surgeon regarding ratios of distance, pronouncement, density, curvature and a range of other features. Again, not even remotely similar between these doctors, and all three are considered masters.

Some doctors consistently opt for a feathered look, pointed or curved, high or low hairlines. Rahal is obviously a great surgeon, but one of his trademarks is clearly the very straight hairline with a point coming through at the very center, a particular detail I personally dislike strongly, but one that that SCREAMS Rahal. Highly pointed and lengthy temple points with a harsh curve at the top and softer one at the bottom is a consistent feature of Lorenzo. This is another detail I dislike, as it isn't natural in the vast majority of European men, and lends itself most specifically to middle eastern men.

The truth is among the cream of the crop surgeons you truly are selecting the aesthetic, which can be extremely different from doctor to doctor.

For me I would pick

Erdogan

Hasson

Feriduni

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update from spending some time on Recuperar:

It seems that Couto (not Cuoto) and Freitas have stolen the top positions in Spain, particularly for hairline work. Lorenzo is a close third and more preferable for generalized thinning, possibly due to his more conservative approach.

Couto's waiting list appears to be a bit shorter for local patients, though it is still long for all three of them.

They all have solid results and seem to heavily favor FUE. They are savage with donor zone depletion though. Couto in particular goes pretty far outside the so-called 'safe zone' when sourcing his grafts. His yields are quite strong, even in the early months.

Still, for a specific graft count, Konior's FUT seems to have a slight edge over Couto's FUE, but they are close.

That, combined with strip making it easier for repeat procedures in the future as compared to FUE (and the fact that Trump would no longer be president by the time your surgery date with Couto comes around), make me favor Chicago over Spain, but it depends on your specific situation.

Wondering what the thoughts are on criteria that define a great aesthetic results?

The ability to imitate nature, though yield must be taken into account as well.

That's a good point for Erdogan, but Lorenzo is in Spain, right?
I'm not an authority on him, but Spain is a difficult travel option for North American patients, and the political turmoil in Europe has been a turn off for many, the US government has a travel advisory for all Americans traveling to Europe right now.

Aside from finance I've studied visual arts, so I take serious issue with this statement. Just look at the area of temple points, look between Lorenzo, Bisanga and Erdogan. Three surgeons that would be regarded on the top end, and three surgeons that claim their approach utilises cues from their ethnicity, bone structure and facial features and yet their approach is COMPLETELY different. We are talking very consistent approaches across almost every case for each surgeon regarding ratios of distance, pronouncement, density, curvature and a range of other features. Again, not even remotely similar between these doctors, and all three are considered masters.

Some doctors consistently opt for a feathered look, pointed or curved, high or low hairlines. Rahal is obviously a great surgeon, but one of his trademarks is clearly the very straight hairline with a point coming through at the very center, a particular detail I personally dislike strongly, but one that that SCREAMS Rahal. Highly pointed and lengthy temple points with a harsh curve at the top and softer one at the bottom is a consistent feature of Lorenzo. This is another detail I dislike, as it isn't natural in the vast majority of European men, and lends itself most specifically to middle eastern men.

The truth is among the cream of the crop surgeons you truly are selecting the aesthetic, which can be extremely different from doctor to doctor.

For me I would pick

Erdogan

Hasson

Feriduni

This is an interesting post. Thought-provoking.

Have those three surgeons (Lorenzo, Bisanga and Erdogan) actually stated that their approach, quote, "utilises cues from their ethnicity"? Surely a hair transplant design must fit the individual patient whose ethnicity might differ from the surgeon's?

The central point in the hairline that you see as a feature of Dr Rahal's work is something I recognize, but I don't think it appears nearly as often as you might think (I don't have it and I'm a Rahal patient) and often that point existed in the patient's hairline before the procedure. That central point is actually something that I've always liked, but it wouldn't suit me and that's why I don't have it.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com