Almost had a heart attack in the shower

I try my very best to shampoo my hair each and every day. If I do not then I wash the next day. Mind you, I never see any hair strands in the drain, ever. But today after I shampooed my hair in the morning I look down at the drain and to my great astonishment I saw a clump of my own hair. I pick it up and count the strands. To my amazement I count 14 hair strands! Again I never shed any strands in the shower. I thought I was going to get a heart attack as I began to tremor all over my body and throat. I then got angry with more tremors.

This is ridiculous. On another thread I created someone mentioned that man on average sheds 100 hairs a day. But this is inexcusable as I do my best to take care of my scalp. I very rarely shed hair. This is inexcusable in my opinion given my personal hair care.

Could you guys relate? I swear to goddamned god I am going literally crazy over this. What are your thoughts on this?

Normal occurrence, not to worry

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

As a Heart Attack survivor, I suggest you contact a Cardiologist to ascertain if indeed this incident caused any damage to your heart. Then I suggest you grow up.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

As a Heart Attack survivor, I suggest you contact a Cardiologist to ascertain if indeed this incident caused any damage to your heart. Then I suggest you grow up.

Trolling for immaturity at your age. Good luck with that.

Probably a panic attack. Very unpleasant.

It was. I am currently on meds for it. My blood pressure rose very high during this incident as well. I usually take my blood pressure and it was not a good reading.

But I really do not understand how something like that can happen since I try very hard to take care of my hair. Needless to say i also had a dental x-ray done about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I wonder if the hair shedding has something to do with it.

Needless to say i also had a dental x-ray done about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I wonder if the hair shedding has something to do with it.

Milo...I very seriously doubt a single dental x-ray would cause sudden hair loss.

If these episodes continue I would seriously suggest you seek out a good mental health professional that specializes in panic/anxiety so you can get this under control.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

It was. I am currently on meds for it.

Hi Milo,

I'll be honest and say that some of the posts you make have me scratching my head and think WTF?!, but now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you're trying to address your problem.

Your info says nothing about if you're on Fin on not (apparently can cause anxiety issues) and nothing about your hair loss pattern and no pics too.

I will tell you this, 14 hairs coming from your entire head is nothing to worry about.

If they're shedding from the same immediate area and you're developing a bald or thinning area then you should start to worry.

Also if you're thinning all over gradually and not on meds, then the road is downhill as you will continue to lose hair if suffering from MPB or diffuse hairloss.

I can kind of relate as I had another small touchup HT and restarted Fin to boost my hair few months ago, then experienced a small shed from restarting Fin about a week ago.

The thing is sheds can indicate new hair growth - at one time on Fin I once lost 400 hairs and never went bald or thinned out in any areas.

Also some people say fall is a time for hair shedding.

Take it all in stride and if there is an issue try to address it, but don't sweat the small things.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I have averaged 30 per sgower every day for 20 years, and I still have a pretty good head of hair. I wear product so I dont get a lit of fall during the day, but I imagine I lose 70 a day or so, abd up to a hundred is normal for a full head of hair..It's not about what falls, its about what grows back.

I imaging a nw6 doesnt lose much because they have so much less to lose. Put some product on your gead and dont mess with it all day. Then at night comb all of your hair forward for a couple minutes leaning over a white sink. You'll see that much hair fall is normal.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Milo,

I'll be honest and say that some of the posts you make have me scratching my head and think WTF?!, but now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you're trying to address your problem.

Your info says nothing about if you're on Fin on not (apparently can cause anxiety issues) and nothing about your hair loss pattern and no pics too.

I will tell you this, 14 hairs coming from your entire head is nothing to worry about.

If they're shedding from the same immediate area and you're developing a bald or thinning area then you should start to worry.

Also if you're thinning all over gradually and not on meds, then the road is downhill as you will continue to lose hair if suffering from MPB or diffuse hairloss.

I can kind of relate as I had another small touchup HT and restarted Fin to boost my hair few months ago, then experienced a small shed from restarting Fin about a week ago.

The thing is sheds can indicate new hair growth - at one time on Fin I once lost 400 hairs and never went bald or thinned out in any areas.

Hello harp,

Thank you for your reply. Honestly I am shedding in the temple areas. But this has been going on for years. And I do not know for sure where the 14 - 17 strands came from specifically from what part of my scalp. I wish I knew but I do not.

Currently I am taking a topical solution to help arrest a scalp condition. The doctor prescribed that I apply it every day. But I rarely use it because of the side effects. But the scalp condition is progressing well by the way.

I know I am freaking out over something that to someone else may seem trivial or low impact. But I really do not want to lose any hair. I have been losing hair in the temple areas for years and I can get quite sensitive over that as you can see now.

You mentioned that you lost 400 hairs while on Fin. tell me how you know it was 400 strands? Over how long a course of time did this occur?

Currently I am taking a topical solution to help arrest a scalp condition. The doctor prescribed that I apply it every day. But I rarely use it because of the side effects. But the scalp condition is progressing well by the way.

Ok good to hear that as I can definitely relate to scalp issues being a lifelong scalp eczema sufferer. Don't use any harsh steroids, and I've found that hydrocortisone 1% containing aloe vera helps a lot along with Keto lotion if the cause is triggered by yeast/fungus (I don't use the keto shampoos much recently).

But don't use hydrocortisone in the same area long term.

When my hair was at it's best on Fin one summer I was shedding a crazy amout of hair on my sides and back of my head for consecutive days, it was enough that it made me count them. I went off Fin for a month then but I noticed I hadn't lost any hair overall cosmetically and that indeed it was a growth phase triggering the shed so I later restarted.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

I have averaged 30 per sgower every day for 20 years, and I still have a pretty good head of hair. I wear product so I dont get a lit of fall during the day, but I imagine I lose 70 a day or so, abd up to a hundred is normal for a full head of hair..It's not about what falls, its about what grows back.

I imaging a nw6 doesnt lose much because they have so much less to lose. Put some product on your gead and dont mess with it all day. Then at night comb all of your hair forward for a couple minutes leaning over a white sink. You'll see that much hair fall is normal.

Thats exactly what happens to me everyday!!! but i am 28 and NW3, so is that normal or should i start worrying??

Also, i dont know whether to take the OP seriously or not, most people here they only shed 14 hairs per shower!!!!

Thats exactly what happens to me everyday!!! but i am 28 and NW3, so is that normal or should i start worrying??

Also, i dont know whether to take the OP seriously or not, most people here they only shed 14 hairs per shower!!!!

It's normal. Tr shed is. The difference is, is the hair growing back? A 28 year old nw3 should be considering finasteride thiugh.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It's normal. Tr shed is. The difference is, is the hair growing back? A 28 year old nw3 should be considering finasteride thiugh.

Tried it, had side effects after a few weeks, so my body can't tolerate it well :( Do you think a hair transplant would be an ideal option for me now?

I try my very best to shampoo my hair each and every day. If I do not then I wash the next day. Mind you, I never see any hair strands in the drain, ever. But today after I shampooed my hair in the morning I look down at the drain and to my great astonishment I saw a clump of my own hair. I pick it up and count the strands. To my amazement I count 14 hair strands! Again I never shed any strands in the shower. I thought I was going to get a heart attack as I began to tremor all over my body and throat. I then got angry with more tremors.

This is ridiculous. On another thread I created someone mentioned that man on average sheds 100 hairs a day. But this is inexcusable as I do my best to take care of my scalp. I very rarely shed hair. This is inexcusable in my opinion given my personal hair care.

Could you guys relate? I swear to goddamned god I am going literally crazy over this. What are your thoughts on this?

Each hair has its own cycle and will come and go for a given number of cycles in its life.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Don't use any harsh steroids, and I've found that hydrocortisone 1% containing aloe vera helps a lot along with Keto lotion if the cause is triggered by yeast/fungus (I don't use the keto shampoos much recently).

But don't use hydrocortisone in the same area long term.

Interesting that you mention steroids. Many of the topical solutions prescribed for scalp conditions contain steroids. Can steroids from these topical solutions stunt hair growth??

Topical steroids especially the stronger ones can thin out the skin if used for prolonged periods of time. Most dermatologists will recommend only using for 1-2 weeks then stopping for a period.

From my horrible past experience with Nizoral overuse (the side effects of which crept up on me slowly), I learned it's not the dandruff, scalp buildup etc. that will kill your hair - as long as you remove it gently when moisturized - it's actually the harsh things people use on their scalp to prevent it that can negatively affect your hair.

My current advice is to use a mild Hydrocortisone cream at .5% or 1% strength which preferably also contains aloe vera, but never anything stronger unless your case is very severe, and don't use in the same area for prolonged periods of time.

go dense or go home

As someone who experienced his fair share of anxiety/panic attacks over his lifetime, I can certainly say that I empathize with your situation. I've also had dry/flaky scalp issues ever since I can remember, so I relate to you on that level too.

That said, I think you've already been given a lot of great advice here. I will echo that losing 14 hairs in the shower is totally normal, and on average we're each losing around 100 hairs a day. You've been given great information about hair fall, hair cycles, etc., so I mainly want to address the anxiety.

It took me two decades of suffering with anxiety before I finally sought help, and once I did, my life changed drastically for the better. With the right therapist giving you the right tools to better manage your stress and anxiety, you can have a life where you are able to handle a lot more than you're currently able to. You can then (for example) lose 14 hairs in the shower and not spiral so far downward.

I'd be happy to give you any further input based on my experiences if you ever want to send me a direct message. Wishing you lots of stress free days ahead!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Topical steroids especially the stronger ones can thin out the skin if used for prolonged periods of time. Most dermatologists will recommend only using for 1-2 weeks then stopping for a period.

From my horrible past experience with Nizoral overuse (the side effects of which crept up on me slowly), I learned it's not the dandruff, scalp buildup etc. that will kill your hair - as long as you remove it gently when moisturized - it's actually the harsh things people use on their scalp to prevent it that can negatively affect your hair.

Hello hsrp,

Appreciate your words. Yes the dermo told me that steroids could thin the skin. But would it cause any hair loss?