Ranking Celebrities with Confirmed HT's

Yeah Costner's is a good one, always looked very natural and wasn't overly ambitious.

Jason Gardiner's hair transplant isn't the best, though I think as Mick50 says it's perhaps just that he needs another pass or something. However, I think Gardiner (and his doctor, Ziering) were extremely misleading when they went on daytime TV here in the UK. Gardiner was blatantly using a lot of concealer give his HT a dense look, but didn't declare that at all (in fact I think he outright insinuates at one point it's his natural result):

It's particularly bad that his doctor is sat next to him not being truthful about it all. I remember at the time dubiously being willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but the photos I've seen of his hair since completely confirm he was using a lot of product to make his hair look like that, and in fact his overall results are OK but nothing special.

I have no problem with concealer, use it myself and it can really make the most of a modest amount of hair, but you can't go on TV and pretend you have a result that you knowingly don't have!

I'm pretty sure Simon Pegg has had one:

18-simon-pegg.w529.h529.jpg

I don't know how bald he got but even back in his twenties/early thirties he was receding. It looks like he's sort of kept that receded hairline, maybe just thickened up the forelock and mid-scalp. Then again, it could just be meds and concealers, it's hard to tell because of the way he styles it now, seemingly to hide the thinning perhaps.

Alastair McGowan, a British impressionist, has had something done. I think he was going bald, wore hairpieces for a while and has now got a modest transplant (possibly didn't have the donor or just had too much head to cover as he had a fairly large balding area).

Before:

alistairmcgowanhairtransplant03.jpg

Hairpiece, possibly?

20140203101758.jpg

How I've seen him most recently:

alistair-mcgowan-does-his-best-l.jpg

I can't tell whether he was wearing a piece or, possibly, had a transplant and the area has continued to thin, as he did have some hair, though very diffuse, in the front half, for a while. I wonder whether he just got a transplant and now that's pretty much all that's left.

Either way I'm not really a fan. I think perhaps he just had too much area to cover and not enough donor, or maybe he just hasn't got around to a second or third procedure (I can't see it though). I wonder if he's just sort of accepted how it is now. It doesn't look horrendous, it's just a bit strange. He doesn't help himself with his styling, but to each their own!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Costner's is a good one, always looked very natural and wasn't overly ambitious.

Jason Gardiner's hair transplant isn't the best, though I think as Mick50 says it's perhaps just that he needs another pass or something. However, I think Gardiner (and his doctor, Ziering) were extremely misleading when they went on daytime TV here in the UK. Gardiner was blatantly using a lot of concealer give his HT a dense look, but didn't declare that at all (in fact I think he outright insinuates at one point it's his natural result):

It's particularly bad that his doctor is sat next to him not being truthful about it all. I remember at the time dubiously being willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but the photos I've seen of his hair since completely confirm he was using a lot of product to make his hair look like that, and in fact his overall results are OK but nothing special.

I have no problem with concealer, use it myself and it can really make the most of a modest amount of hair, but you can't go on TV and pretend you have a result that you knowingly don't have!

I'm pretty sure Simon Pegg has had one:

18-simon-pegg.w529.h529.jpg

I don't know how bald he got but even back in his twenties/early thirties he was receding. It looks like he's sort of kept that receded hairline, maybe just thickened up the forelock and mid-scalp. Then again, it could just be meds and concealers, it's hard to tell because of the way he styles it now, seemingly to hide the thinning perhaps.

Alastair McGowan, a British impressionist, has had something done. I think he was going bald, wore hairpieces for a while and has now got a modest transplant (possibly didn't have the donor or just had too much head to cover as he had a fairly large balding area).

Before:

alistairmcgowanhairtransplant03.jpg

Hairpiece, possibly?

20140203101758.jpg

How I've seen him most recently:

alistair-mcgowan-does-his-best-l.jpg

I can't tell whether he was wearing a piece or, possibly, had a transplant and the area has continued to thin, as he did have some hair, though very diffuse, in the front half, for a while. I wonder whether he just got a transplant and now that's pretty much all that's left.

Either way I'm not really a fan. I think perhaps he just had too much area to cover and not enough donor, or maybe he just hasn't got around to a second or third procedure (I can't see it though). I wonder if he's just sort of accepted how it is now. It doesn't look horrendous, it's just a bit strange. He doesn't help himself with his styling, but to each their own!

I must say, paying 35k to have a mere 3,100 grafts with a very vanilla doctor such as Craig Zeiring...one who is well on his way to franchising himself into being the new Bosley, that was a poor investment.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I must say, paying 35k to have a mere 3,100 grafts with a very vanilla doctor such as Craig Zeiring...one who is well on his way to franchising himself into being the new Bosley, that was a poor investment.

I agree. It was really misleading to go on live TV and outright lie, especially when the doctor is sat there and not being honest either. They should have just been upfront and said there was concealer and styling being used to make the most of his result - there's no crime in that, but when you're charging tens of thousands for transplants you should be honest about what can be achieved and especially honest when you're showing off a patient's hair that is using extra help to look good.

I agree. It was really misleading to go on live TV and outright lie, especially when the doctor is sat there and not being honest either. They should have just been upfront and said there was concealer and styling being used to make the most of his result - there's no crime in that, but when you're charging tens of thousands for transplants you should be honest about what can be achieved and especially honest when you're showing off a patient's hair that is using extra help to look good.
Yep, even though he maintained a modest hairline, the amount of hair loss he had would've require 6k to 7k worth of grafts to give satisfying coverage and density to his head.

Ziering is a crook, maybe not a butcher, but a shameless self promoter who has branded himself as elite, and he's not, he's at best acceptably competent...but not worth the money he demands.

It's hard to tell with Johnny Depp. He definitely receded and thinned at the front and that was apparent as far back as 10-12 years ago or more. Certainly in films like The Rum Diary it's clear he's experiencing some frontal loss, though as usual it's hard to tell exactly what's what as there could be any amount of concealer/styling/Hollywood magic going on in movies.

For a while he sported the long hair with a side parting, which I think he used to cover up some of the recession but exposed some of the thinning around the mid-part line.

johnny-depp-wtf-hairstyles-center-part.jpg

This photo also seems to show more extensive frontal loss:

Johnny-Depp-Medium-Hairstyle-1.png

These days he's either sweeping his hair back or sort of wearing it messily, which helps to conceal some of the thinning. When his hair is brushed back I would say his hairline does look a little like a transplanted one, but it's hard to be sure.

johnny-depp-ve-22feb16-04.jpg

Either way he's still got a fairly good head of natural hair for a 53 year old. He definitely thinned out a bit in the front but I'm not sure if he got a transplant or just styles it more selectively now. My instinct is he probably did get one - he just seems to have more at the front than he used to, but I think he styled around it for a long time so there's no glaringly obvious before and after comparison, though a quick look at the last two photos shows a definite difference around the hairline and temples to me.

Gary Numan

Bizarre godfather of synthpop http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fgp%2Fentity%2FGary-Numan%2FB000APVFHC%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref_%3Dsr%5Ftc%5F2%5F0%26qid%3D1272443530%26sr%3D8-2-ent&tag=baldingcelebr-21&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=19450 started losing his hair quite young and talks about it candidly in his autobiography.

38-numan-02.jpg

He had 2 hair transplants in the early 80s which he describes in fairly graphic detail. The hats he wore as part of his image around this time helped mask this. The surgeries didn't go particularly well and he claims to have had another procedure in 1993.

But there is no way that he got his current density from hair transplants, and what you're seeing now is surely a hair 'system'. This still from 1993 shows his old hairstyle, which is an unusual looking mixture of 'plugs', dye and judicious styling.

38-numan-03.jpg

I have wondered why he appears to be so open about transplants but not the hair piece. Part of the reason may be that transplants are an expensive sounding, futuristic solution while there is still some stigma around wearing a toupee.

38-numan-05.jpg

source: Gary Numan | Balding Celebrities

This has to be the worst toupee I've ever seen, noticed it right away on his facebook page(like his music) when I wasn't really educated about wigs.

I was watching CNN and you can clearly see Anderson Cooper's FUT scar:

2rfvkux.jpg

Are we certain that that's a strip scar? Do strip scars ever wrap all the way around the head practically to the face like this? Could this possibly just be a natural crease in his hair?

Are we certain that that's a strip scar? Do strip scars ever wrap all the way around the head practically to the face like this? Could this possibly just be a natural crease in his hair?

My bet is that it is either the way his hair is cut, or hat hair. Who knows, perhaps he didn't want to get recognized on his way to the office that morning. hehe

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Mel Gibson is clearly a recipient, his hairline work looks good, but his vast crown thinning gives away the fact he's been restored in the front.

Mel-Gibsons-Bald-Spot-The-Belgravia-Centre.jpg

996015-mel-gibson.jpg

mel_gibson.jpg

I was watching CNN and you can clearly see Anderson Cooper's FUT scar:

2rfvkux.jpg

Not so sure about this one, but just like you I'm always looking for FUT scars now that I've had a HT, lol

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)