Is Sylvester Stallone the poster child of an over aggressive/ age inappropriate HT?

Sly's hair has always bothered me in recent years, he was visibly receding in the 90s, and whoever did his hairline in the last decade or so made it more aggressive and juvenile than it was when he was playing Rocky back in 1976.

Frankly it looks rather ridiculous and age inappropriate...nor is it really that stellar of a job at refined realism, perhaps it's the use of hair coloring and the preposterous positioning of the hairline on a 60 plus man, but it looks artificial.

sylvester_stallone_antes_y_despues_cirugia.jpg

I don't know for certain who did his HT, but Craig Ziering seems to hint heavily that it was him (attached in an instagram post of his).

And celebrity or not, I would not call it a calling card of good work.

Discuss...

5b32ee3341012_ScreenShot2016-08-15at7_28_14PM.jpg.1aac9c07c3d2ab1cea0b5de436647936.jpg

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

There's a seam line along his hairline.

Looks more like a scalp advance or wig

I think it's bad tanning and hair coloring.

There are more pictures that suggest it to be transplanted...but that's not a flattering interpretation of a transplant, that it's a wig or hair piece.

Scalp advance definitely involved. In my opinion.

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Obviously it is a hair piece too straight but who cares? If it makes him feel better who cares what others think he is 70 years old living his life. There are tons of former celebrities living with hair systems and are starting to be more open about them. This video is a great example.

Obviously it is a hair piece too straight but who cares? If it makes him feel better who cares what others think he is 70 years old living his life. There are tons of former celebrities living with hair systems and are starting to be more open about them. This video is a great example.
That's a gag he's been doing for years, his hair is real.

I have always thought he had good hair. He has definitely had some facial work so I think he might of had a brow lift.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

I don't know if he had a hair transplant or is wearing a hair system, etc. But I don't dislike his hairline placement. It does look a little crisp in the front in this picture making it appear a little unnatural looking. But overall, I'd say it's an improvement. I know he got facial work done as well but as long as he's happy, I'm happy for him.

Best wishes,

Bill

I never understood why any hairline would be age innapropriate. You are balding or you are not balding. The only unnatural thing is straight hairline that start on a giant forehead. If you want to save some grafts, do like Spex, make a little natural looking recession.

I never understood why any hairline would be age innapropriate. You are balding or you are not balding. The only unnatural thing is straight hairline that start on a giant forehead. If you want to save some grafts, do like Spex, make a little natural looking recession.
That's not true at all, natural recession comes with maturity, a juvenile hairline is called a juvenile hairline precisely because it is exclusive to a juvenile.

Having a mature hairline isn't baldness, it's simply aging.

That's not true at all, natural recession comes with maturity, a juvenile hairline is called a juvenile hairline precisely because it is exclusive to a juvenile.

Having a mature hairline isn't baldness, it's simply aging.

Men who don't have the MPB gene show no recession at all, does Bill Clinton look like an alien with his NW0?

This, on the other hand, makes absolutely no sense:

A_zps8a0fdb27.jpg

Spex has a very natural looking minor recession if it's about saving some grafts:

article-2156861-13870EA2000005DC-499_306x481.jpg

Men who don't have the MPB gene show no recession at all, does Bill Clinton look like an alien with his NW0?

This, on the other hand, makes absolutely no sense:

A_zps8a0fdb27.jpg

Spex has a very natural looking minor recession if it's about saving some grafts:

article-2156861-13870EA2000005DC-499_306x481.jpg

The vast majority of men will become a norwood 2 by middle age.

it is the exception to the rule to look like Ronald Reagan late in life.

And Bill Clinton does have thinning and temporal recession.

o-BILL-CLINTON-TONY-BLAIR-facebook.jpg

Yeah, I think virtually all men experience at least a little recession - it's definitely a rarity to truly retain your juvenile hairline indefinitely.

Also, Spex has great hair but not every man can hope to achieve that. If you've lost a significant amount of hair you can't really opt for a strong hairline with a "little recession". Not only are you likely to need to build a hairline a centimetre or two up from your NW1/2 starting point, but the hairline is going to have to be more conservative with greater recession too, to conserve donor.

The "age appropriate" hairline is more about recognising that there usually just isn't going to be enough donor to truly give a man a dense, low hairline, so you build something that looks like it's naturally recessed and thinned a little, but is still strong and defines the face well. If you've got a lot of crown loss and want to try and deal with that, or conserve donor for that eventuality, you have to be realistic about what you can achieve.

Also, it's not really accurate to post example cases and say they make no sense. Sometimes the donor simply isn't there to build a really strong hairline so something is better than nothing. Also, if a patient is maybe taking a two or three step transplant approach, chances are they may start with a more conservative hairline and lower it a little in the second or third pass, so they can rebuild their hair in stages rather than getting themselves into a position they can't get out of. The example you posted is a world away from Spex - if the gentleman had wanted a hairline like Spex's he probably would have had to forget so much as touching the back half of his head, at least in one procedure.

I don't think it looks too bad. Obviously people who frequent forums like this one tend to question these things more and notice the signs of a HT, but I bet the average joe on the street wouldn't bat an eyelid at his hair.

But on saying that, perhaps I'm less critical as I am planning to have what some people may consider an age inappropriate hair line. I just recently turned 48, but even with my current hairline (which isn't that bad, prob borderline Norwood 2 almost 3) I often get mistaken for being in my 30's so hopefully I can get away with it. For me, the HT is all about restoring my temples and having a more youthful look.

My understanding is that Dr. Matt Leavitt from the former Medical Hair Restoration (MHR) did Sly Stallone's initial work almost 2 decades ago in South Florida.

But as we know MPB is progressive so my guess is that Sly is wearing a system these days. It may be a partial system for the frontal third, but just a guess.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Sly's hair has always bothered me in recent years, he was visibly receding in the 90s, and whoever did his hairline in the last decade or so made it more aggressive and juvenile than it was when he was playing Rocky back in 1976.

Frankly it looks rather ridiculous and age inappropriate...nor is it really that stellar of a job at refined realism, perhaps it's the use of hair coloring and the preposterous positioning of the hairline on a 60 plus man, but it looks artificial.

sylvester_stallone_antes_y_despues_cirugia.jpg

I don't know for certain who did his HT, but Craig Ziering seems to hint heavily that it was him (attached in an instagram post of his).

And celebrity or not, I would not call it a calling card of good work.

Discuss...

Very strange looking scar along the hairline. Is it possible he had a flap surgery restoration in the past? If so, his surgeon could soften that hairline with single grafts to make it look more natural and to hide the scar IMO. The hairs look like they are growing from his scalp, it's just a little too harsh and not very well blended. Anyway, I hope I look that good at 60+!

Edited by Qneedhair

I don't think that is scarring but rather the edge of the template of his hair system.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY