My surgery is this week and now I"m starting to panic

Beebz

hopefully the drugs they give me will knock me out and I won't even be awake for most of it, I don't even care about the post op difficulties or ugly duckling phase at 2-3 months just please let me get through this surgery lol

hopefully the drugs they give me will knock me out and I won't even be awake for most of it, I don't even care about the post op difficulties or ugly duckling phase at 2-3 months just please let me get through this surgery lol

Hi Beebz,

It is really not that bad at all! After all, HT is not like a major surgery. The anxiety part is expected but try not to panic. Getting your lost hair back is priceless and all the efforts that go in towards accomplishing that goal.....are totally worth it!

Don't think that you will be "knocked out" during your procedure. Usually, the HT Surgeon will administer local anesthesia to numb just the donor and the recipient areas.

I wish you all the best.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Not sure how many grafts you are getting, but surgeons won't knock you out because it's not good to "be under" for such an extended period of time for an optional surgery.

However many hair surgeons will give you Valium if you ask. Most people seem to get their surgery procedure anxieties under control with the Valium the hair transplant surgeon will give you.

I suffer from claustrophobic panic/anxiety and knew being in the chair for several hours would most likely trigger an attack. So I discussed it with my surgeon and he allowed me to control my anxiety via Xanax. I was in the surgery chair for like 10 hours and basically slept through or was major groggy through 90% of the day via my own RX for Xanax.

You should contact your hair transplant doctor now and explain your surgery day fears. I am sure this is not uncommon and the doctor will gladly offer you something to take that will calm your fears on the day of the surgery.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Not sure how many grafts you are getting, but surgeons won't knock you out because it's not good to "be under" for such an extended period of time for an optional surgery.

However many hair surgeons will give you Valium if you ask. Most people seem to get their surgery procedure anxieties under control with the Valium the hair transplant surgeon will give you.

I suffer from claustrophobic panic/anxiety and knew being in the chair for several hours would most likely trigger an attack. So I discussed it with my surgeon and he allowed me to control my anxiety via Xanax. I was in the surgery chair for like 10 hours and basically slept through or was major groggy through 90% of the day via my own RX for Xanax.

You should contact your hair transplant doctor now and explain your surgery day fears. I am sure this is not uncommon and the doctor will gladly offer you something to take that will calm your fears on the day of the surgery.

Ha I have the same thing! I don't care about them cutting me open, excessive bleeding etc but I am worried about being stuck in one spot for the whole time and panicing lol. Good ole anxiety but anyways the doctor called me and I talked to him about it, due to me having a ride to pick me up he said he can give me valium and coax me through the day

Beebz...the Valium should work well for you. Plus my surgeon let me get up for restroom breaks and lunch, so it's not like you are glued to the chair.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Who's your surgeon?

I agree, the calming meds should help. Let your doc know about it though.

Dr Ron Shapiro and Dr Josephitis will be working together on my transplant

Dr Ron Shapiro and Dr Josephitis will be working together on my transplant

Im sure they will make the procedure comfortable. Let then know and in sure you can take breaks in between if you need to stand. It is tough sitting many hours but the meds do help.

Wish you the best.

In my opinion, anti-anxiety drugs are a must for long procedures. As I recently discussed on another thread, I rejected such drugs with my first procedure and I was climbing the walls after a few hours sitting in the chair. Took the pills with my next two and it was smooth sailing.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

It's local anaesthesia and the tranquilizers should address your worries. It's definitely a good idea to give your clinic a heads-up.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I know you are nervous but the truth is, I've always had fun on my day of the procedure. I've had four of them and I've always used it as a time to chat with the doctor, learn as much as I can and socialize with the technicians. Honestly, it's a very easy day where you can kick back, relax, watch movies and know that you are in good hands and will eventually have a full looking head of hair, at least a lot more hair than you had prior to surgery. As long as you selected a physician with a proven track record of producing outstanding results, breathe easy and enjoy the ride.

Best wishes,

Bill