Returning to Work at 3 Weeks?

Okay, I know the topic of returning to a normal work routine has been heavily discussed in past threads. But many of the threads seem a bit older and I thought it could use some new discussion.

I'm pretty close to taking the leap on a HT, but I have to say, the closer I get to the date, the biggest fear I have is returning to work and looking completely ridiculous. At this point, this has become the biggest obstacle to me going through with it.

I work in a high-pressure, office setting and a substantial amount (about a third) of my work is comprised of public speaking in front of numerous people. Obviously, except for my commute in and out, a hat is not an option in a stuffy, white-shoe office setting. I've figured out that the maximum time I could probably get off is about 21 days. I intend on having the procedure on day #1 and taking a low-effort vacation for the last 7 days or so of my time off, after the sutures come out (if I opt for Strip). I'm pretty sure my surgeon recommends shaving of both the donor and recipient area, so I planned to basically shave my entire head down to about a #3 about a week or two before taking work leave to lessen the contrast when I return.

I guess I have a couple of questions. First, is there a big difference between FUE and Strip procedure with regard to how presentable you look in the weeks and months immediately following surgery? Since there's no linear scar, do people who've had FUE find they've had an easier time hiding the fact that they had a HT when they returned to work. (I realize this is not priority #1 in such a major decision, but it's just a factor I want to put on the scale).

Secondly, how noticeable did you find your HT was by day #22? What was worse, donor or recipient? Are the advantages of shaving the recipient area worth the Bozo the Clown look?

Overall, what were your general experiences returning to work by about week 3? I'd like to hear from both Strip and FUE patients. Week 3 pics would be great, too.

• Administrators

I've only had FUE so I can only speak about FUE, but by the second week you can pretty much return to work and look normal, what I did was I shaved my head a week before I had my procedure so people would get used to seeing me with a buzzed head, so when I returned to work there was nothing to look at.

If you leave your hair long and you all of the sudden come back with a shaved head, you automatically draw attention to your head. In regards to how it looks, you can't really tell in the recipient area except the grafts generally stay in for upwards to a month, so keep that in mind, but overall you can't tell the donor looks normal too, a little thin from some shock loss but nothing too much, here are my two photos from my second procedure last year I was at just about 3 weeks this is how I looked when I returned to work. By 4 weeks most of the grafts had shed, but there are some guys who don't shed the grafts for 5-6 weeks.

Another thing to consider is redness, I have an olive skin tone, so I didn't experience any redness at all, but guys with fair skin and light hair typically can experience redness for months, that's also something to think about.

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Tell them you were on vacation and picked up some weird parasite lice that caused a scalp rash.

Maybe call it a Zika virus variant or something.

When I went through customs at Vancouver airport I had to take off my hat. I told security I was attacked by a grizzly bear. They believed me, and I received special attention from all the stewardesses for the entire flight :D

I know, I'm a bad boy :o

I had over 3200 fue grafts done and went back to work in a week and a half wearing a hat. If you can't wear a hat, I agree with Htsoon's recommendation to get a buzz cut before the procedure and go to work for a while with a buzz cut before your surgery. I have very fair skin, and both donor and recipient were still red at 3 weeks.

Putting the FUT vs FUE debate aside for a second, FUE will obviously produce a cleaner look 3 weeks after as you'll have no scar to cover up and your hair will all be the same length. At this stage people will just assume you shaved your head. Redness will be your only consideration at 3 week, and recipient hair will begin to shed, so disparity will creep up on you.

If you intend to shave your entire head and go FUT, the linear scar will be visible, but most of the scabbing will be gone by week 3. This is important if you want to apply a cover-up or masking agent like dermmatch or couvre on the scar, but your hair will not cover the scar until it grows an inch or two. Check out Mav23100Gunther's pics--he went FUT with Rahal and did this.

Personally, I looked terrible at 3 week FUT bc I only shaved the recipient zone. I've yet to see someone NOT shave their entire head and look decent post-surgery. If you're cool with that, its really a matter of opting for the procedure best for you.

Or what Dutchie said ;)

HTSoon, can always rely on you for helpful info. If my hair grew in like yours did by week three, I'd be completely happy with it. I have to say, after a very long internal debate between Strip and FUE, I may be back on the fence. (Not trying to start another debate in this thread). The idea of a smoother transition to post-operative normalcy is a pretty major bonus for me. Particularly since I've been told I have a fairly strong donor supply.

I'm pretty fair-skinned, with dark hair. Perhaps I should look into a mild spray tan (not on the scalp, obviously) to lessen the contrast with the reddened areas.

Esrec, never really considered shaving only the recipient area. If a hat is an option, that seems reasonable, as you won't have a huge linear scar exposed. But as someone who does not have the option of wearing a hat at work, I definitely could not walk around with only the top of my head shaved, particularly since I still have most of my hair on top.

So it sounds as if with FUT, my options are: Uniformly-shaved with a scar completely exposed, or the Bozo look with the scar hidden. FUE's sounding more and more appealing.

Dutchie: That is a pretty brilliant idea. Although instead of the office gossip being "Remember those few months when Joe Schmoe showed up to work bald with a huge Frankenstein scar across the back of his head?" it will be: "Remember those few months when Joe Schmoe converted to Islam out of no where, then suddenly just quit the religion about 5 months later?" :)

I agree it looks ridiculous (shaving only required recipient area) but alot of guys do it if they can wear hats and/or work remotely for a while. Agree with your reasoning given circumstances.

Who are you consulting with?

I returned to work at 4 weeks post FUE, and found it really hard. I could have buzzed in the lead-up to get everyone used to the look, but the real problem was the redness and the disparity as the shedding set in (weeks 6 to 10 were the worst). My redness was noticeable for 2.5 months. I had to apply make-up to have any chance of getting away with it.

That said, I'm 4 months post HT now and that's all behind me...so yes it was hard, but all worth it.

Edited by ersko72

I agree it looks ridiculous (shaving only required recipient area) but alot of guys do it if they can wear hats and/or work remotely for a while. Agree with your reasoning given circumstances.

Who are you consulting with?

So far, I have been choosing between Konior, Rahal, Wesley (all for FUE or FUT) and Feller (FUT only). Although, I have to say, I am probably leaning more toward FUE at this time.

Any thoughts?

What Norwood level are you at ? Dark hair / fair hair ? skin colour ? - these will all be variants on what you may get away with.

I was a NW6 pre-op and had 4000 grafts by FUSS. I had a 17 day period between surgery and return to work . I was hoping to get away with just going in to work and it would have sufficiently grown to avoid it being obvious . Turned out I wore a hat to work and was 2 months before I felt comfortable enough to ditch the cap . The redness to the recipient area lasted a good 2 months , and also shock loss at the donor made it awkward .

I'm fair haired and light skinned , so I think my expectations were overly optimistic at the outset from surgery .

Be realistic in your expectations , and prepare for the worst if things don't go as you expected .

Dutchie,

Although I understand there was no malintent, I too found your post to be insensitive and inappropriate. I've deleted your comment and any replies related to it that would no longer have made any sense.

We need to understand that the members of our hair loss community are a diverse, international crowd of many cultures, religions, etc. and it should remain a safe and open place for all to discuss their hair loss without feeling alienated or insulted.

Let's keep this thread on target.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I'm also in a similar predicament in that I plan to return to work after 17 days after a combined FUT and FUE procedure. My main concern is the scar being visible. I've been advised to use Couvre which hopefully will hide the scar.

Guys,

As Dave said, this community is made up of unique members with diverse backgrounds from all over the world. Please stay away from anything overly political or potentially offensive to anyone that may be of a different racial or ethnic background than you. Please note that this message applies to everyone regardless of their race, color, ethnic background, etc. We want to continue creating a safe environment for everyone regardless of differences. Remember at the end of the day, we are all hair loss suffering men and women and have that in common. Let's keep it safe for all

Best wishes,

Bill