Poor yield 2000 FUE 10 months - NEED repair. What are the options?

I'm 10 months post op. Got 2000 grafts FUE into the hairline. At this stage I think I got at 75% yield I think it's too sparse. There's an area of 3 sq cm with really poor growth near the left temple.

I don't think 2 months wait will magically fix this.

How can this be fixed?

Is it possible to work around the grafts that have grown to thicken it up? Or do I have to start all over again and place another 2000 grafts into the same area?

The clinic told my I got 55 grafts per sq cm. at 8 months I had another doc do an evaluation. He said all in all it's a good job but he saw the immediate post op pics and said they only did 40 per sq cm

image.jpg.472020ae9fbd787556e42b93a8b9f9e0.jpg

Edited by ZeoRanger

• Administrators

It's hard to say from that pic, can you post before and after photos, photos post op showing the areas that were transplanted, generally, with 75% yield the clinic will probably offer to do touch up work, who was your doctor?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I don't think I'd go back to my first clinic simply because I don't want to shave my head again. If i need another go I'll pick a clinic that allows me to keep my fringe so I can cover the recipient site with hair post op. Redness was a real b..ch. No need to expose it to everyone at work.

From what I have read you should be able to. It's hard to see from your photos as I think your hair looks good in these photos. I know it can be hard to get a decont up close photo. Your at the same stage as me. 10 months, I'm hoping for some more maturing to help fill my hair out

From what I have read you should be able to. It's hard to see from your photos as I think your hair looks good in these photos. I know it can be hard to get a decont up close photo. Your at the same stage as me. 10 months, I'm hoping for some more maturing to help fill my hair out

It's an annoying period. Some people say you stop growing after 8 months that's when I started getting concerned. Others say you still grow new hair between month 12 and 18.

I just hope I'm a late grower cause I didn't start growing after 4.5 months. All I had till then was hair that did not shed.

Why? I'm not asking for an evaluation. I asking whether it is possible to add density between transplanted grafts without damaging those existing grafts in the process.

Yes it's very possible, but make sure you choose wisely. I can personally recommend dr hasson

Id give it a good 13-15 months before making a decision. I recall on my 2nd surgery have a thin area still at 12 months which filled in significatly around months 13-15.

Its still possible for more hair to come in at only 10 months that may have been in a dormant cycle.

Your hair looks good grown out. However to answer your question you could probably have some more grafts implanted in the area . However i would ensure you go to a reputable clinic

Is that little 3cm area the only part you are concerned about? That would be an easy touchup....I bet 100 grafts. It's not abnormal to sometimes need a small touchup and most reputable surgeons would have no issues doing that. Very easy to get between those hairs in that area since, as you said, you didn't yield much at all there....

Mainly yes. That 3 sq cm area is annoying because it lets light into the surrounding areas. And if needed it'd like maybe another 300 grafts sprinkled into the hairline to make it thicker.

Then again I just have to be patient. I didn't start growing till 4.5 months so I think I'm 2 months behind anyways. Had a close look between some of the grafts and saw tiny wiry hairs coming up meaning my growth hasn't finished yet.

Yes it is possible to add more density without damaging the pre existing transplanted grafts.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

Mainly yes. That 3 sq cm area is annoying because it lets light into the surrounding areas. And if needed it'd like maybe another 300 grafts sprinkled into the hairline to make it thicker.

Then again I just have to be patient. I didn't start growing till 4.5 months so I think I'm 2 months behind anyways. Had a close look between some of the grafts and saw tiny wiry hairs coming up meaning my growth hasn't finished yet.

Your post and BaldingBogger's post are very timely in that they give me hope. I am 4 month post op from FUE and I have no growth. I am trying to be patient - but as you are experiencing, it is difficult. Especially since, finding this site, I now realize the facility and technicians would not be considered "reputable" for HT. The doctor of facility never came into the room during the entire procedure. Not sure if it is legal in US for technicians to do entire procedure.

I hope that my growth is just delayed.

Your results look very good thus far, and with the small hairs you mentioned, your results will only get better.

Thanks. I didn't post any pics for ages because people tend to trash any results unless they're rock star results with early growth. I was a bit extreme with my headline "poor growth" but I guess it was the PR man in me wanting to grab attention.

All I wanted to know is if I have options with what has grown so far or if I'd have to start from scratch again. Just wanted to know what can be done in case there's no further growth.

And I posted the worst area magnified...

Another independent surgeon checked it out at 8.5 months and said the doc did a good job.

What puzzled me is that by looking at my post op pic which was more scabs than anything that it looked like 40 grafts per sq cm. not 55 as promised (and charged) by my the clinic

That's quite some allegation. I hope that's not true. I find it a bit odd he was able to conclude this by looking at scabs....

Time will tell. At this stage I won't listen to those who say you're done growing after 8 months.

I can now see the little curled colourless wiry hairs popping up. I never saw this type of hair growing in previous months.