Shock Loss. A warning against frequent procedures

So sorry to hear that. I know a lot of folks that went through similar nightmares. Hopefully you can move forward. I just can't understand why some docs can do such a thing. Just know there are folks in similar situations and I hope all can find peace. Best of luck to you.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really sorry to hear that also, sounds like it may have indeed been doctor error.

I only know of one FUE doc from Australia but not sure it was the same one.

Sounds to me like he was at fault due to his poor technique. Hope you can get it repaired and or find a positive solution to this, hope everything will work out for the better.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

This guy is no FUE Dr. No FUE Dr uses a 2mm punch these days - that is more like a biopsy size instrument. I think he was experimenting FUE on me & I didn't know enough about it then so went along with it - another mistake.

I have had some repair work done & it is improved but I don't think it is as easy to recover emotionally from this kind of ordeal....at least that is what I am finding.

Hope he's still not practicing FUE, otherwise you should name him for others.

I was a victim of the Bosley butchers many years ago so can relate to your experience. Sometimes I think the thin area I have in my frontal third is due to them.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Anytime someone is considering having FUE done...be sure to discuss in detail the instruments that the surgeon is planning on using, especially the punches.

FUE has come a long way but as with anything else, not everyone is proficient with it.

And I readily agree with Mikey in that anyone using a punch size of 2mm is a very bad sign.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

When I returned to see my initial Hair surgeon in April 2014, 10 years after my initial surgery I realize now that I had a great head of hair. Now I feel best left leaving it as a shaved head.

I wish he had told me that the risks outweighed any potential benefits - now I think I am living with this for the rest of my life. I know some posters on this thread mentioned that my overuse of minoxidil could have contributed to the shock loss but I only did that when the problem was already obvious.

Nothing more to say but it really, really hurts.

Edited by Mikey1970

I think the left temple area is improved but when I try to grow my hair out I have got dark transplanted hair at the front blending into much lighter native hair behind it and still a few small spots of shock loss. It is better for my mental health to shave it atm. I have had good work done on the scar which thankfully does let me get away with shaving.

Thing is, I am seeing how good my hair was - FB memories coming through from only 2-3 years ago & I never should have returned for further work. That said, it was that tiny touch up of only 30 grafts that killed my hair and it should have been safe to do.

It is a nightmare. I know other people are worse off with life threatening illnesses etc, but when you pay good money to a cosmetic surgeon this shouldn't happen.

I returned to see the surgeon 4 or 5 times after, he knew how distressed I was & he gave a different excuse every time including making me believe for a long time that it would recover. I think it must have been caused by significant blood loss that damaged an area that was susceptible to weakening. I do recall his needling of the recipient area was very aggressive, especially given it was such a tiny procedure.

It is really hard to try and put behind me that is for sure...

Edited by Mikey1970

• Administrators

Mikey this thread will help a lot of guys out there, as I said I'm envious of your head shape, it looks great buzzed and the scar looks non existent, the crown looks great no major loss so all is not lost, but I can definitely empathize with you, going in for a minor thing and leaving worse off is something that psychologically is very hard to deal with, I sincerely hope things improve for you I'm rooting for you bud.

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Was the second FUE procedure done at the same doctor or elsewhere?

If elsewhere which doctor?

*I asked the same question in your other thread, if it was another doctor PM me with the name if you don't feel comfortable naming him here.

Don't mean to pester about this, but I'm in quite a similar situation as I could use around 50-100 grafts in my frontal third to allow me to cut my hair very short which is my final goal due to scalp eczema. The problem is there is a thin area on one side where most of my hair is transplants, at longer lengths it looks great but not when cut very short.

To be honest reading your post scares the hell out of me, and I want to make sure it was doctor error in both cases.

thanks

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

I wont be naming the Dr on a public forum.

I think you are wise to be wary of your intended procedure but good luck if you go through with it. I have seen cases on this forum of guys that seem to have no probs with small touch ups.

Edited by Mikey1970

• 3 weeks later...

Mikey, im sorry to hear this and no one should have to go trough this. Have you tried dermmatch? For me its working much better than hair fibers. You apply it on the thin areas and it will be there until you wash it with shampoo. No worry for sweating wind or rain. And it takes literally 1-3 minutes.

I know this is not what youre hoping for but maybe give it a try?

Mikey - Thanks for creating this thread . It's obviously a painful experience you're going through , but the information in this thread is a reminder for everyone that things can go wrong . Really strange that the shock loss occurred so long after surgery , and away form the area that was transplanted . My only guess is that it was the hole punch size that may have created the trauma .

Also , sympathise with your dilemma - Have a small touch up to the area with the possibility that further shock loss may occur ? It's a stick or twist situation .

As far as your feelings after the party , that's likely the depression talking . It's a horrible spiral you're in - the shock loss has led to the depression and the depression feeds the negativity and loss of self esteem . Don't know if you're on meds to treat the depression , but if not then it's worth considering to get you through this low period .

Good luck .

Thanks so much for your support guys. I will be taking a break from posting for a while but will hopefully get the help i know i so badly need. Sorry for the drama but i truly have been ripped apart inside for so long. All the best.

Edited by Mikey1970

Happy New Year and hope things get better for you in 2017 Mikey!

For others looking at touchups, though there are never any guarantees in this industry my advise is as follows:

(1) Research, research and more research! Look into the surgeon's reputation, online ranking and recommendations and actual patient feedback and posted results. Also check which techniques they use including tools and methods, and find out of what other hair restoration surgeons think of the doctor your are considering. The important red flags should come up at this stage if you don't find any information, or if you start to find negative reviews and unsatisfied patients. If the doctor is overseas, you can use Google translate and the popular foreign language websites out there like bellicapelli, international-hairlossforum, recuperarelpelo etc. to gather more info.

(2) After narrowing it down to several elite surgeons, have actual online or if possible in person consultations with the surgeons on your short list, and ask to see past examples of transplanting into existing hair and ask what the actual game plan will be for surgery day.

(3) For the surgery itself shave down your recipient area to make it easier for the surgeon to see carefully the area where the grafts will be transplanted.

(4) take Fin if possible (or continue to take if already on it).

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

• Administrators

Mikey,

Mate first off I'm sorry that you're going through this, I know how mentally devastating it is, let me start off by saying you should do what you feel will make you happy. There is nothing wrong with hair systems, I know there is a social stigma to "wigs, toupees" IMO who cares, women wear wigs all the time, it's all about confidence whatever it takes to build your confidence do it. Transplants aren't always the answer, some guys would be ultimately happier with a system, and the good thing is that if for whatever reason you don't like it just take it off no scarring. PM me bud if you ever need to talk.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree...the social stigma about hair systems goes back to when they were quite detectable and looked more like wigs than a good quality refined system. When I wore them, the density was unrealistically so high than it was a sure give away.

But like the example provided, the density can be altered to look very natural, and hair characteristics, especially the grade of caliber and color can be matched very well.

I think good top notch systems are the only way to go for true Norwood 7s especially with weak donor supplies.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Mikey,

It's always a good idea to take a break from all of this for awhile and just spend some time on other things in life.

Wish you the best my good friend....;)

Gillenator

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

Just an 8 month post op update from my attempted repair surgery. I must say that iam feeling a lot more positive than i was at even the 6 month mark. I have grown my hair out to a number 3 guide now (had been shaving it at a zero) & everyone is commenting that i appear to have an almost full head of hair.

Now i know the trained eye would pick some weakness in the mid scalp separating the transplanted from from the native hair around the bridge of the frontal third region but overall iam much better off than i thought i was. I now intend growing the front/top out to approx 1.5 inches to see just how good it is.

Dr W may have just about nailed it for me afterall.

Hey Mikey, that's awesome news to hear...very happy for you my good friend!...:)

Gillenator

• 1 month later...

I'm now 9.5 months post op from my last procedure of 1000 grafts to repair the issues I outlined at the start of this thread.

Finally now at peace & really happy that I went ahead with the repair. Although this forum does not permit me to mention the surgeons name who did my repair he is from Sydney, Australia and is often recognized as the world pioneer of modern FUE. As far as his skill and ethics go I cannot speak highly enough of this man & I will always be grateful for him giving me my life back.

At times during the post op period I almost gave up and even at the 7 month mark I didn't believe it was possible for me to get a result as good as this. Hopefully at 46 years of age, taking finasteride/minoxidil and also utilizing the capillus lasercap and a brilliant scalp cleanser (ionil t), I may never need anymore surgery. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone who supported me through this, it is a great forum and really did help me. Have attached a photograph taken tonight.

Best, Michael.

Hair.thumb.jpg.d3ab78f678e88ec57e85278eff175144.jpg