Three transplants later: still not enough density in hairline?

I'm feeling very discouraged about my hairline. In total, I've had three FUT procedures since 2012 (total of 5700 grafts). All work was done to the frontal and mid-scalp. Unfortunately, despite using finasteride, my crown is also thinning out and I'm going in for a fourth FUT to address that. I have very good donor supply, so my surgeon is confident we can address the crown and add enough density there.

My main issue, though, is with my hairline. After so much work, I'm still not happy. I don't know if the work is subpar or I just have unrealistic expectations. When I look at my hairline, it looks very unnatural and rough. I requested all my before and after photos from my doctor, which I'll post as soon as I receive them, so I just attached one closeup. It's not great, but hopefully you can give me a quick evaluation. The third FUT (performed one year ago) was supposed to add more density to the hairline. When I post the progression pictures, you'll obviously get a better sense of the result; for now, though, I expected more.

More to follow, but just wanted to get some initial thoughts.

FullSizeRender.jpg.fb8e9125f347af74644c24e833727667.jpg

Based on the photo you have provided I would wager that your expectations are not realstic. Most men would give a body part for a hairline and overall frontal fullness like this. I'll reserve final judgement for the rest of the documentation but from what I see here you have nothing to be upset about, unless of course you started out like this. Then you'd have something to complain about.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree you have unrealistic expectations. It looks great!

We definitely need progression pics to make any kind of qualified comments. Based on the one picture alone, I think that you have a great head of hair.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

how much density is appropriate for a frontal hairline? naturally, a hairline appears feathered and somewhat scattered, anything other than that starts looking like a doll's head, I've seen people who put too much emphasis in the hair-line alone and it appears "odd" and "unnatural" looking, particularly when behind the hairline there may be less density - you've just posted one picture and from that alone your hairline looks "spectacular" and you have a great head of hair, you probably have unrealistic expectations because you're somewhat of a perfectionist, me included, but I say don't even worry about your hairline, concentrate on maintaining what you have and improving upon that .. best wishes

I'd agree that your expectations are unrealistic. You've had almost as many grafts done in three surgeries as I have in six.

The photo you've posted of your hairline looks like you have a great, thick head of of hair with excellent density.

Initial thought? It looks great and I think your expectations are a high which would worry me if I was your surgeon and attempting to address a thinning crown that you say you are going in for a 4th session?

I can't see your crown from the photo but high density into a crown is more difficult to achieve because of the surface area and lack of shingling that is possible like you can get in the hairline. I would talk this through again with your surgeon, does he or she know you are not that happy with the density of the hairline?

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

would like to see pre op Pics but looking at just 1 pic dont give us the full history.

looking at this Pic you dont look to bad in fact many woud give a arm and a leg for what you have, your never going to get a 21 yr Elvis.

I see your in your early 30s are you on any Meds & if not at least try this could help you get better density? if i was you i would pass on a 4th HT and save your doner bank if you need to tap in later in your life.

I agree about saving donor area right now. You may think if you get it to a perfect head of hair, you won't have to worry about the future. If that's what you're thinking, you need to dismiss those thoughts right away.

I started getting hair transplants when I was starting to go bald. My first transplant was in 1998 and I was 31 years old at the time. The second transplant was more for density, as the third was mostly density too, save for some areas that had started to thin a bit more.

By my fourth transplant, there were areas that were thinned further that really bothered me but we filled those in, mostly and luckily added density in some other areas that needed it too.

In 2012, when I was 46, I had my fifth transplant and it really did a nice job and again, it was mostly for density from what I already had transplant but there were areas that had thinned a bit more that I noticed, although not many others did. Still I had one area in particular that I wanted more density in.

This month, I had my 6th transplant to fill in a couple of areas that bothered me a little but I still wanted to fill them in.

Now, 5949 grafts later, I have to be satisfied, because I'm out of donor area.

The point of all of this is that as you age, certain areas may thin more than others or areas you don't expect may thin. If you end up at 40 with no more donor area left and your hair continues to thin in certain areas after that, then what?

Just echoing what pretty much everyone else said here already. We definitely need not only clearer pictures with different angles (showing crown, side profile, etc.), but the before pictures would be helpful as well so that we can see how far you've come.

Newer pictures pending, however, I also agree that your hairline looks amazing and think you should discuss these seemingly unrealistic expectations with your surgeon. Steve is very correct in advising you to use your donor hair wisely so that you don't wipe out all your resources prematurely. Doing that could cause you even greater distress years down the road.

Hoping these all these comments about how great your hair looks makes you look at it/yourself a little differently. It's easy to get caught up in this idea of "perfect" and ultimately end up never fully satisfied with what you've got. It's something we should all be cautious of because it's that quest for perfectionism that leads many people down the road of having way too much work done. I live in LA and have seen my fair share of women, especially, who get carried away with the plastic surgery because they just need to fix "one more thing". They lose sight of reality and start holding themselves to these unrealistic, nonhuman standards and end up looking extremely unnatural. It's quite a slippery slope indeed.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Again I agree with rest of members..

My concerns esp with the younger guys out there say 20s/30s they get caught up in the moment HAIR GREED & its like addiction for more & more hair, I just wish some of the younger generation would pace themself a lot better, you can run as fast as you like to the finish line in a 24 mile marathon but the guy who was 5 miles behind you the last few miles at the finish pass you with easy & you have nomore to give.

Why because its the Rabbit & the turtel story.

Wish that some Drs can stand there ground & say hay buddy this or that could happen in the next 20 yrs or more so hold back the reins a bit pace yourself let's see what may or may not happen.

If you can try Medication such as Fin this may buy you some valuable yrs which you have plenty left.

Good luck.

I think you should read up on my thread. I have had 4 transplants and 8600 grafts. Mostly in the crown too. It isn't called the blackhole for nothing. I saw some good crown results with half the grafts I had and I thought I would be as fortunate. Sometimes it always doesn't turn out as we plan and hope. It's better to save what you have because we all eventually run out

I think you should read up on my thread. I have had 4 transplants and 8600 grafts. Mostly in the crown too. It isn't called the blackhole for nothing. I saw some good crown results with half the grafts I had and I thought I would be as fortunate. Sometimes it always doesn't turn out as we plan and hope. It's better to save what you have because we all eventually run out

spot on buddy.

so if you could turn back the clock how would you do differently if you dont mind me asking you?

spot on buddy.

so if you could turn back the clock how would you do differently if you dont mind me asking you?

I would have went with a FUE from Dr, Koray Ergodan. I have went through his youtube videos and he seems like a perfectionist. He has blown up pictures of his patients on the wall as he works. Manual extraction. The results are always great and amazing value for the price.

I would have shaved my head shorter by now if I kept losing hair and kept getting more surgeries. But that is not an option since my first surgery was a FUT. My scar got way worse after my second FUT. Dr. Bhatti did make it better after adding FUE to the scar but I haven't cut it short to see what I can get away with. But I know I will never be able to shave below a 4-5 blade bc of the strip scar.

From that photo you posted, That hairline looks quite dense and full. Especially in such lighting. Most guys would love to have such a result. I think it looks great. You are a very lucky guy. You dont seem to have a harsh see through effect (based on your initial pic). Looking forward to seeing your other pics.

I am 24, and i have suffered from hairloss. I used many Ayurvedic medicines. I still do not see any positive results. Tried homeopathy medicines also; but no use. Found this source through one of the references. . Could someone let me know if this product Drnacherbels would be useful for me?

I am 24, and i have suffered from hairloss. I used many Ayurvedic medicines. I still do not see any positive results. Tried homeopathy medicines also; but no use. Found this source through one of the references. . Could someone let me know if this product Drnacherbels would be useful for me?

only 2 FDA approved meds work for MPB

it would be better making your own thread so other members can answer you or read up on the forum.

FYI....

save your money & keep away from snake oils.

Edited by ontop
edit