+PICTURES+ Horrible FUT scar! Dr. Feller. Well, not really.

Back from vacation after two weeks off. I decided to post the scar photo of the very first post op patient I saw today. He is 7 months after one FUT (strip) procedure of 2,800 grafts. Here are pics of his scar. ALL the hair above and below the scar are perfectly intact and available for future procedures.

Look at how small the scar line is. Unless he buzzed down to a two guard nobody would see it. I asked how likely it was that he would shave his hair down to the skin. His reply:

"Are you crazy?! Why would I have just done a hair transplant if I was ever going to shave my head?! I love my new hair and want another procedure to fill the crown, please"

His words... and I believe it says it all.

1.jpg.7b3b35f4dfe97a80ed44df043a2da3c4.jpg

2.jpg.0a76be44695422604f542e1c18fc8998.jpg

2b.jpg.3b616f8a6073031b4b8085ad36357792.jpg

3.jpg.3142fea91322084ced5ec7094b8fc560.jpg

FUT scars are great when you have enough hair to cover them but I do think it's a valid concern that at some point in life you may have to buzz down to a #2 or lower. Then what?

I really don't get all this FUT vs. FUE debate. It seems like it's really picked up a lot of steam in the past few months. There are obvious advantages to both. I just don't think anybody can really be blamed for going the FUE route knowing they can probably get away with a buzz cut down the road if necessary.

I have done 2 FUE's with approx. 4500 grafts. I can do a #1 and you cannot tell that there is any scarring.

I do think it's a valid concern that at some point in life you may have to buzz down to a #2 or lower. Then what?

I believe that the FUT vs. FUE Boxing Match is a draw. No winners and no losers - only CHOICES that an individual must make and live with. I refuse to get caught up in that debate as my lifestyle and my personality dictated my choice. I feel bad that guys have been here for years and years and have still not pulled the trigger due to a variety of reasons - but no matter what the final outcome, they have to arrive at some decision they have to live with.

For me, I cannot foresee having to shave down at any point in my life unless some medical malady befalls me that requires access to the back of my head.

And if that day does come, meh....I've got scars from 1970 in Southeast Asia that look worse.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

not a good sample IMO shoiwing a Pt with Thick dense & wavey hair this is a exception & not the rule IMO.

when i see young guys under 30 say NW3 doing FUT there running a risk of loosing more hair & chasing there tails with muliple HT while trying to preserve there donor area plus trying to keep a lid on that ear to ear scar.

Then what????

FUE maybe not get you the best of the best yeild but at least you got a exit if need be to shave down.

once you have that scar you got for life.

just for the record im not for or against FUE or FUT they both have a place in this Business for different people.

The campaign continues.

And the winner is....wait a minute...

The winner is the guy (or gal) who looks in the mirror and is happy with his hair.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Here are FUE scars and a FUT scar from a coalition doctor. You can decide which would be better with short hair. I think the FUE is more tolerable but there are still scars with a buzz. Although I couldn't even hide this FUT with a 4 blade on the sides. The back of the head would cover because hair grew through the scar but they didn't on the sides.

5b32e6db8055b_bothscars.jpg.b8dff916c0a05045a8d98ab9d3ca5cde.jpg

Dr Feller baiting FUE people again, really is so juvenile and getting boring

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

I wonder though, if people like the option of shaving their heads or buzzing down to a no2, why aren't they doing so already? It's seems people always cite the ability to shave their heads as a pro, yet few try it...

My whole life I have never wanted to shave my hair as I always thought it wouldn't suit me. I only realised after having FUE that a shaved head looks OK on me. It's not something I want to go back to in the foreseeable future, but I guess it's reassuring to know that if I do choose to buzz later on (which will prob not be till second HT) that I can do so with a much less noteaceable scarring (to the average Joe) than had I got a strip. In that respect, it gives you options later on in life to go really short even if its not something you wish to do in the short term.

Edited by FUE2014

I wonder though, if people like the option of shaving their heads or buzzing down to a no2, why aren't they doing so already? It's seems people always cite the ability to shave their heads as a pro, yet few try it...

shaving down doesn't necessarily mean all over, for me I shave 123 on the sides and then blended in to match the top. ive always had this hair cut, suits me the best, until i lost too much on top, then buzzed it all off, FUE has been so wonderful in my life that I have been able to go back to my 20s hair cut .

plus there is also a difference between a fit looking guy with a shaved head and guy with a bald head. I think FUE gives the bald guy a fighting chance to maintain an overall look and mimic the fit guys look.

Here are FUE scars and a FUT scar from a coalition doctor. You can decide which would be better with short hair. I think the FUE is more tolerable but there are still scars with a buzz. Although I couldn't even hide this FUT with a 4 blade on the sides. The back of the head would cover because hair grew through the scar but they didn't on the sides.

What # guard is that in the Pic? Cas it looks lower than #4 to me.

Never the less if some young chap under say 30yrs done muliple FUTs & tapped out on donor & unfortunate to loose more hair even with Meds I guess he could be in big trouble later in life.

That's the worst case i guess.

So taking the worst case yep FUE proberly be the better out of the 2 devils.

Its defo a lotto that's for sure.

My whole life I have never wanted to shave my hair as I always thought it wouldn't suit me. I only realised after having FUE that a shaved head looks OK on me. It's not something I want to go back to in the foreseeable future, but I guess it's reassuring to know that if I do choose to buzz later on (which will prob not be till second HT) that I can do so with a much less noteaceable scarring (to the average Joe) than had I got a strip. In that respect, it gives you options later on in life to go really short even if its not something you wish to do in the short term.

That's a very good answer....always good to have a exit all be it little white dots.

Saying that guys with nice thick donor I feel FUT is a good option also.

Different folks, different strokes.

What # guard is that in the Pic? Cas it looks lower than #4 to me.

Never the less if some young chap under say 30yrs done muliple FUTs & tapped out on donor & unfortunate to loose more hair even with Meds I guess he could be in big trouble later in life.

That's the worst case i guess.

So taking the worst case yep FUE proberly be the better out of the 2 devils.

Its defo a lotto that's for sure.

That is a no guard so it is a zero. I was saying that my scar could be seen with a 4 before. This picture was before another FUE surgery and FUE was put into the wide scar areas. I have not cut it short since but it's summer so I may see if I can pull a 4 off. I am 9 months from my last surgery.

I have a question, but does anyone feel that culturally places like UK Australia NZ are different in the attitudes to wearing hair than US or Europe. Being from Australia and having many English mates, shaving down is accepted as just the normal thing to do when losing your hair. I wonder if that's the same in other parts of the world.

I have a question, but does anyone feel that culturally places like UK Australia NZ are different in the attitudes to wearing hair than US or Europe. Being from Australia and having many English mates, shaving down is accepted as just the normal thing to do when losing your hair. I wonder if that's the same in other parts of the world.

Not in some places like asia, india for sample.

Nice! This is truly one of the "pencil thin scars."

KO - I agree. I understand wanting to have that "back up plan," but I haven't seen it yet either.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Nice! This is truly one of the "pencil thin scars."

KO - I agree. I understand wanting to have that "back up plan," but I haven't seen it yet either.

Most men look better with hair than they do without hair. Most men also look better with a buzz cut than they do with some transplanted hair on top that looks like an island because the sides continued receding. The strip scar that may have stretched prevents men from shaving down and looking normal.

Having the option to keep a short hairstyle later on in life should not be underestimated. This is especially true for Millennials.

Edited by delancey

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I think everyone should try a shaved look before they get an HT.

If you only plan on using a couple thousand grafts and then calling it quits, fue is the way to go imo. If your gonna go balls out and shoot for 5k grafts before you throw in the towel and shave, then many people won't be able to go much shorter than strip, a little bit, but it's not like fue is scarless on most people, especially when they've reached their donor limits. Fue does bring some insurance when calling it quits, but it's not a get out of jail free card by any means.

I was in it to win it so I went all in with a strip. I don't regret it yet. I've found that the vast majority of fue patients aren't shaving their heads down past what a strip could go, but some are.

I threw all the cards on the table and don't plan on shaving. Hope that doesn't change.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

Brilliantly stated!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.