INTRODUCING: Modified FUE (mFUE)

dr b,

just a suggestion but why not offer a free 'mfue' procedure (undertaken by your good self) to a participant willing to be filmed before/during/after?

I nominate voxman!

I'll do it! :D

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vox,

I did tell you first round was one me when we officially met up!

Dr Feller and I are discussing doing some bigger and more detailed presentations. We'll talk about patient selection and keep you guys updated!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm pretty far along in discussions with our July 3 patient, a female, to let us do exactly that in exchange for video of the entire process.

One caveat...I've found with "free" procedures tied to stuff like this over the last 20 years....people get there free or discounted case, show up once or twice, and then are never heard from again. Its unfortunate since they got something free...and even if the results are less that a typical case...I'd want to know....so we can have full followup. One of our early big MFUE cases is a non responder as I posted way back on this thread.

It would make more sense to me to have them pay something and then we pay them back a percentage each time they show...but nobody has gone for that yet...

If we can get our lady to let us video her case, it will be a nice addition to this thread.

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

One caveat...I've found with "free" procedures tied to stuff like this ....people get there free or discounted case, show up once or twice, and then are never heard from again. Its unfortunate since they got something free...and even if the results are less that a typical case...I'd want to know....so we can have full followup.

That's a shame - which is why a long time poster at the forums is at least a viable choice for a video / procedure / journey tutorial.

We've see that same exact thing here recently :mad:

I'd have some of that, however I've got a face more for the radio

Oh believe me, the burden of attractiveness can be crushing.:cool:

hoo.jpg.82b79cf0f6ac03336cf5caada2c36e25.jpg

Oh believe me, the burden of attractiveness can be crushing.:cool:

Ha ha voxman,

It's hard being that good looking but hey if anyone can carry that burden, your the man

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I'm pretty far along in discussions with our July 3 patient, a female, to let us do exactly that in exchange for video of the entire process.

One caveat...I've found with "free" procedures tied to stuff like this over the last 20 years....people get there free or discounted case, show up once or twice, and then are never heard from again. Its unfortunate since they got something free...and even if the results are less that a typical case...I'd want to know....so we can have full followup. One of our early big MFUE cases is a non responder as I posted way back on this thread.

It would make more sense to me to have them pay something and then we pay them back a percentage each time they show...but nobody has gone for that yet...

If we can get our lady to let us video her case, it will be a nice addition to this thread.

Dr. Lindsey

I think that's a great idea. I DO think a free procedure would be in order for a pt willing to be documented, videoed, and who will follow up quarterly in person for a year, refunding 25 percent of the procedure per quarter.

You could do it on a day that you usually don't operate so you have no opportunity cost lost. The actual cost would be fairly minimal for the advertising you'd get. Especially for a new procedure.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I saw several guys giving Dr. Feller a hard time about him saying that FUE leaves a lot of scarring. Check out this young man who came in complaining of little FUE result, donor depletion with a longer hair style, and these scars when his hair is short...

Now he is in a bind, kind of damned if you do any more to fix the front and deplete the back more, and damned if you don't...

Regardless of folks' thoughts on FUE, contrary to the ads I see from my local competitors and on the airplanes...FUE is not scarless. This ought to be discussed, up front, as part of the pros and cons before patients get in the operating chair.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

5b32e6a5a55ee_FUEdepletionandscarringpatient.jpg.9f17b0f08c7442dcfa8daefae5771c2f.jpg

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

FUE is definitely not scarless. There will be scarring/missing follicles and no one should expect to be able to shave down to a zero guard or even a grade 1 depending on multiple factors(grafts extracted, hair to scalp color contrast etc). But it is the general consensus that FUE does allow the patient to shave down closer without detection of surgical intervention compared to strip(in general of course).

The result from the FUE procedure picture that you posted above seems to depict:

1) shock loss in the donor.

2) over harvesting.

I have never seen a top surgeon like Dr. Lorenzo or Bisanga overharvest or leave such scars from an FUE procedure.

Is this the FUE scarring that one can expect from your clinic?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

The result from the FUE procedure picture that you posted above seems to depict:

1) shock loss in the donor.

2) over harvesting.

I have never seen a top surgeon like Dr. Lorenzo or Bisanga overharvest or leave such scars from an FUE procedure.

Is this the FUE scarring that one can expect from your clinic?

Agreed. Add poor extraction patterns and a larger then optimal punch diameter's to the list of possibly factors too. But you know, vital variables are unimportant :P

Now for the sake of being impartial. Let us see some unfavorable strip scarring. I for one would prefer the scarring the patient Dr Lindsey posted received than my strip scar by a 'top doc' where I can't even shave down to a grade 5 without a noticeable void with there exists no hair.

This poor soul won't be shaving down Mickey and Delancy. And he should have had that discussion prior to signing up for surgery with the group that did him.

Also looks like they did miniplugs marketed as FUE. I've seen this for years in our area and from at least several nearby states. I know that one of the other regular posters commented on this occuring at a practice, which is close to my location, on at least 2 occasions. This particular fellow was not done local to DC.

You take a really white skinned guy and put 2000 or so little white scars with lighter hairs nearby on his crown...FUE is perfect. You take a darker guy like this and put a couple of white dots on his head and he'll regret FUE.

Hair transplantation is not brain surgery. It does however work best with experience, planning, preop discussions on these issues, and avoiding practices who worship the almighty dollar. Everyone, including me, wants to make money. But it can be earned without "selling" everyone the same sandwich.

Dr. Lindsey

McLean, VA

This is a joke if you ask me. People come on here to learn things. Nit to see american doctors bash fue and present silly photos like these,LOL.. Do you see the european doctors having a rant over fut and bashing the massive scar you can get if you go down the fut routte? No you dont. Maybe they got much better things to do and are very buzy pushing out amazing fue results.

Dr L

When did this Pt have FUE? Reason why I ask that from looking at that 1 not so good Pic looks like he just had FUE recently I mean the last 3 mths & still fresh in terms of recovery time to the scalp / healing

I maybe wrong on this but if this Pt recently had FUE then it could be also some shockloss.

Just a thought.

There is no such thing as scarless HT, we will all scar some be better off some will not this is science & the practice of science.

This is a joke if you ask me. People come on here to learn things. Nit to see american doctors bash fue and present silly photos like these,LOL.. Do you see the european doctors having a rant over fut and bashing the massive scar you can get if you go down the fut routte? No you dont. Maybe they got much better things to do and are very buzy pushing out amazing fue results.

Totally agreed. This is now bordering on a disgrace to the community if you ask me.

For the life of me I don't why MFUE was not just presented as an alternative technique and a lets wait and see approach.

The accompanying anti FUE campaign which everyone can read like a book. Has clearly riled a sophisticated audience here and Is a PR disaster if you ask me.

Wwizz,

How is this not educational? Keep in mind that learning means reviewing all sides of a situation. There are a lot of variables involved here and a doctor explaining something that isn't frequently said or goes against popular opinion is actually highly educational.

There needs to be a balance. Hearing that all patients can go to these magical locations in Europe and obtain 5,000 FUE grafts with 100% yield and pay 0.5 Euros per graft isn't educational. It's misleading. Hearing that all patients should undergo strip no matter what isn't educational either. There must be a balance. I think that's what Dr Lindsey was trying to do here.

What's more, there needs to be less emotion connected to the learning process here. It's very strage to me that any patient who has undergone FUE or thinks FUE is superior based on their research online feels offended when someone discusses some of it's pitfalls.

Furthermore, if we're going to speculate as to why "European" doctors aren't here commenting, it's just as valid to say it's because they don't have a rebuttal or to the arguments. See what I mean? All speculation.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Bogger,

How did mFUE get pulled into the mix here? Haha.

Honestly, the mFUE discussion became bigger than we ever thought it would. Like I said before, we were expecting the announcement to be a "teaser;" something for members to read, say "cool," and then keep somewhere in the back of their mind until we were all set to present lots of cases like we would with traditional or strip results. However, it kind of took on a life of it's own and ended up being pulled in to a lot of these debates. Frankly, I'm flatted by it. Clearly the interest is there, and I've recieved some very nice feedback on the technique. Again, we will be seeing a lot more of it in the future.

Viewing Dr. Lorenzo's videos has certainly made me appreciate the artistry and absolute perfection that goes into performing an FUE hair transplant procedure. The consistency of these results show years of experience and total dedication in order to reach excellence. This is why I believe that very few are able to do it at this level. It really is a work of art when performed well. It must be difficult to reach this level without enough experience and absolute dedication.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Wwizz,

That's a valid point. However -- and I don't want to speak for him too much here -- Dr. Lindsey is actually one of the most consistent when it comes to showing images of his strip scars and closure techniques. I think it's his background in facial plastics. He has a lot of videos and images of open wounds, closure techniques, and healed scars. He even rates his scars and talks about his "good" and "bad" ones! Haha. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to show a few.

IMO...

FUE clinics only show the best & cherry pick there Pts, for sample.. guys with great donor with good overall density which is clever sexy marketing, showing a shaved down donor on a pale guy looks very good indeed.

Same can be said to FUT clinics they show a great outcome with Pts who will never shave down.

All I can say don't believe everything you see on the news or read on the internet.

Its all Marketing & its up to us the Pts to work out what's best for us & once you made your bed then lay in it..

Simple as that.

Edited by ontop
edit

A Gold Standard technique shouldn't need a marketing strategy that highlights the weaknesses of the competing products in order to look more attractive on the market.

Just look at the most popular phone on the market. It lets the quality do the talking.

Perhaps this is why few FUE Doctors have bothered coming online to defend their technique and talent? The quality speaks for itself.