Scheduled with Dr. Konior--3,000 to 4,000 grafts.

You are fine. I'm a bit ahead of you in terms of time, and things are going well - I'm a regular grower just as you are (some say slow with these amazing early results people post). I'd say six months post to get ahead of where you were before. We're not all the 1% of patients the Doc's post here. But it comes. All these people (not you) looking for instant gratification from a few select cases they've seen are fooling themselves. It's not the norm. By any stretch.

Did you also go to Dr. Konior?

Yes, as I learned first hand, amazing growth at 3 months is atypical (and seemingly not correlated to surgeon skill but with biology, as I went to Konior).

I just want to make sure people get a honest view/understanding of the procedure, because unrealistic expectations can create problems.

Regardless, I am happy with my growth. Happy with the fact I have more hair at only 4.5 months than I did pre-surgery (even though it's no where near being fully grown in). And with concealer, I can venture out into the world, and no one is the wiser (except maybe under very harsh direct sunlight).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you also go to Dr. Konior?

Yes, as I learned first hand, amazing growth at 3 months is atypical (and seemingly not correlated to surgeon skill but with biology, as I went to Konior).

I just want to make sure people get a honest view/understanding of the procedure, because unrealistic expectations can create problems.

Regardless, I am happy with my growth. Happy with the fact I have more hair at only 4.5 months than I did pre-surgery (even though it's no where near being fully grown in). And with concealer, I can venture out into the world, and no one is the wiser (except maybe under very harsh direct sunlight).

Nope, FUE with Dr. Umar, but we've had the same number of grafts.

Well, I can't think of anything more positive to say than I have a date tonight. 4.5 months after surgery. I am wearing concealer, but I certainly have more hair than pre-surgery. So, yeah. Things are looking good :)

I'll try and take some pics this weekend, but I typically get distracted.

Well, I can't think of anything more positive to say than I have a date tonight. 4.5 months after surgery. I am wearing concealer, but I certainly have more hair than pre-surgery. So, yeah. Things are looking good :)

I'll try and take some pics this weekend, but I typically get distracted.

Pics of you or your date?

Ok, here are some pics right after jumping out of the shower. I think I have made some good progress. Left side is lagging a little behind right side, but that was true before the operation. In this harsh lighting, the back looks kinda bad. However, it is noticeably better than before the HT.

The last pic is a frontal shot with no concealer. The way my hair is, I can do a lot of covering by the combing.

Overall, not too bad for 4.5 months. I have a definite hairline in the front. Rear is starting to fill in (both from HT and Propecia I think). I have more hair now than before the HT, and to me it's noticeable.

With concealer, you can't see any scalp in the rear. So the pics make it look way worse than it really is IMHO.

Looking forward to months 5 and 6, because I think there is a lot of room for new growth (by looking at areas that still don't have folicles growing where I know Dr Konior put grafts).

IMG_6986.jpg.b70b4c32442c118e98e195c997d268f8.jpg

IMG_6993.jpg.786c689ad5cef460f45c17412a8b9bfd.jpg

IMG_6988.jpg.75e71d70882a6bedce7a4680c7a1e38d.jpg

IMG_6998.jpg.dca7df7f7ec8c1c07a7f8f86828223f3.jpg

IMG_7005.jpg.dbb407622aaf53ac603bfce790cb21ea.jpg

IMG_7012.jpg.f67baaae0437389ae6909e6614cbd49e.jpg

Cali,

Exciting to see some new growth! Thanks for keeping us updated. Look forward to watching it grow and mature even more!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Cali,

Exciting to see some new growth! Thanks for keeping us updated. Look forward to watching it grow and mature even more!

Thanks Blake. It's weird/interesting how things can change "relatively" quickly.

At this point (month 4-5), what is the average growth rate for HT (given that everyone is different). 30% growth? 50%? By looking at my front hairline, I am pretty sure there are grafts that haven't started growing yet (I can still faintly see some pinkness in the recipient area), so I am expecting to see some pretty distinct changes around month 6. Hope that isn't wishful thinking.

I also think there is a lot of growing to do in the crown area (even though we know it can be a black hole).

Looks like mine did at a similar stage so I'm 100% sure you will be fine.

Just another boring old FUT success story!

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hey Cali,

At 4.5 months, I'd say the average "maturation" rate is 25%. However, "average" is a bold term in this instance. Patients are all so unique that it's difficult to even put a general label on it. To me, it actually looks like you're a bit ahead of schedule. BUT! You still have miles to go! You'll see a big difference by 6 months. I have no doubt about that. Remember that you aren't really 100% matured until around 12-14 months, however.

And I agree with Matt! it looks like you're on track for one of those killer Konior transformations!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey Cali,

At 4.5 months, I'd say the average "maturation" rate is 25%. However, "average" is a bold term in this instance. Patients are all so unique that it's difficult to even put a general label on it. To me, it actually looks like you're a bit ahead of schedule. BUT! You still have miles to go! You'll see a big difference by 6 months. I have no doubt about that. Remember that you aren't really 100% matured until around 12-14 months, however.

And I agree with Matt! it looks like you're on track for one of those killer Konior transformations!

Thanks for the feedback Blake. So at this stage (it sounds like) there are still folicles that can "start" growing. Looking forward to the next few months.

Looks like mine did at a similar stage so I'm 100% sure you will be fine.

Just another boring old FUT success story!

Just another boring Dr. Konior success story :D

Cali, wishing you the best! Glad you are seeing some good growth at this point. Hope things continue to thicken further as you approach the 6 month mark.

Any chance you can post some more pre-op photos showing what your hair was like before the surgery (hairline and crown)? The lone photo from page one leaves a lot to be desired. Would help everyone following to see how far you've come. :)

Cali, wishing you the best! Glad you are seeing some good growth at this point. Hope things continue to thicken further as you approach the 6 month mark.

Any chance you can post some more pre-op photos showing what your hair was like before the surgery (hairline and crown)? The lone photo from page one leaves a lot to be desired. Would help everyone following to see how far you've come. :)

I tried finding some before pics, but nothing really shows how little hair I had in the front. Since I have a lot of hair on my sides, I was doing the more youthful version of a combover...combing it forward. Unless you dated me and saw me in bed, no one ever saw how little I had in the front. And since it made me sick to my stomach, I never wanted a picture of my crown lol.

I grabbed some screen shots of a few pics. Essentially, where the hair looks like it's laying flat in the front is where there was little to no hair. You can see the pattern in month 2 and 3 pics in this thread. Essentially except for a miniscule amount in the front hairline (which allowed an illusion of an intact frontal hairline) and a little bit in the front middle (a tuft), there was not a lot in the front 1/3.

5b32e8556fe7a_ScreenShot2015-09-17at12_51_41PM.png.8c417252c74b2294e5dc2cb639d9549b.png

5b32e8559480f_ScreenShot2015-09-17at12_51_18PM.png.3b9afb5a2f3f8e2bae3f5c421dd7f00e.png

5b32e855ba454_ScreenShot2015-09-17at12_51_00PM.png.18c8ebb49585a9252d096da6304c4ccd.png

• 1 month later...

How's it going? Next 3 or 4 months comes the dynamite. Looking forward to it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

How's it going? Next 3 or 4 months comes the dynamite. Looking forward to it.

It's going really well, actually. Been slammed at work and heading out on vacation tomorrow, but I've taken pics about 3 weeks ago and I'll try and take some this week.

I ventured outside without a hat on in public at 4.5 months. Used concealer though. Went on a few dates lol.

About 5 months I stopped using concealer. With the amount of thinning I had and the large area, Dr Konior gave me 10% coverage in back and around 25% in front. Honestly, and the Propecia must account for some of this, the crown looks fantastic to me. Under harsh sunlight I am sure it might look a little thin, but under overcast and indoors, it's utterly fantastic compared to what it was...and we're right at about 6 months.

The front looks really good. I have a real,hairline now. But I am a picky dude, and I'd really like more grafts in the long run. I'm going to see what it looks like as things mature, but chances are I may get another transplant in the future. Don't get me wrong, it will look great in pictures...but I can see some space between the grafts.

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way, Dr. Konior is phenomenal. And LI ke Dr. Konior, I am a perfectionist. In the long run, I'll probably want more than the 25%. And yes, Dr. k would be the man I go to for that.

When I post pictures some of you will probably say "what are you talking about," but looking at your own scalp inches from the mirror shows me. Standing 10 feet away, you can't see what I see inches from the mirror.

But I am very happy. Confidence is up (duh). Went out to a bar on Sat, and the bartender thought I was 28 (I have a boyish face). Considering I'm 44, I'll,take that and run with it lol

It's going really well, actually. Been slammed at work and heading out on vacation tomorrow, but I've taken pics about 3 weeks ago and I'll try and take some this week.

I ventured outside without a hat on in public at 4.5 months. Used concealer though. Went on a few dates lol.

About 5 months I stopped using concealer. With the amount of thinning I had and the large area, Dr Konior gave me 10% coverage in back and around 25% in front. Honestly, and the Propecia must account for some of this, the crown looks fantastic to me. Under harsh sunlight I am sure it might look a little thin, but under overcast and indoors, it's utterly fantastic compared to what it was...and we're right at about 6 months.

The front looks really good. I have a real,hairline now. But I am a picky dude, and I'd really like more grafts in the long run. I'm going to see what it looks like as things mature, but chances are I may get another transplant in the future. Don't get me wrong, it will look great in pictures...but I can see some space between the grafts.

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way, Dr. Konior is phenomenal. And LI ke Dr. Konior, I am a perfectionist. In the long run, I'll probably want more than the 25%. And yes, Dr. k would be the man I go to for that.

When I post pictures some of you will probably say "what are you talking about," but looking at your own scalp inches from the mirror shows me. Standing 10 feet away, you can't see what I see inches from the mirror.

But I am very happy. Confidence is up (duh). Went out to a bar on Sat, and the bartender thought I was 28 (I have a boyish face). Considering I'm 44, I'll,take that and run with it lol

Nice. Konior once said to me that perfection is a lofty goal. It's true. Understanding that you won't get natural native density is very important. That said, I understand hair greed and being picky. You're going to surprised at the difference from 6 to 12 months also. I find that looking at preoperative pics are a good way to feel good about your results as you will quickly forget where you came from. The magic is happening now. Looking forward to some pics.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

Hello hair peeps,

I've been terrible at updating this, but it's because things are good...not bad. I will also be giving my opinion on the difference between pictures of people's hair on the Internet and what it looks like when you're looking at your hair transplant inches away from your scalp in the mirror :)

The pics I am adding are from a few months back.

The pics from the back of my head are after my first haircut in the beginning of October. They are to show no sign of the scar and I had the person use a 6 guard. Also, the back of my head looks fantastic considering Dr. Konior only used 10% coverage (1100 grafts over a decent sized area).

The front pics are super-close, and show that you can still see a little scalp. This is a function of the coverage Dr. Konior had to do with 2700 grafts. He stated at the time it would be 25% coverage. Also keep in mind, this is only 5 1/2 months after surgery for the front.

When you're not that close to the hair, it blends pretty well. I will post some more pics soon of my hair now, which is now 7 months after surgery. Things are looking really good. Even got a compliment today that things look great...and it was from someone at work who knows I had the surgery (only a handful of people do).

So, am I happy with the results? Yes. However, I can't say completely...but that has nothing to do with Dr. Konior. It has to do with the amount of grafts used to cover a large area of diffuse thinning. When I am looking at my scalp from two inches away in the mirror, I can tell the grafts aren't as close together as native hair would be. The only way to fix this would be to add more grafts, and Dr. Konior would be the first doctor I would see to do this. The other thing I don't like, is that under harsh direct sunlight, I can still see my scalp in the front. This may get rectified a little as the hair continues to mature over the next 5 months.

From a foot away, my hair looks great. That is what the last picture shows.

So, to summarize. I couldn't be happier. If my hair stayed like this, I would be happy. At the same time, if I am going to nit-pick, I would go back and get another HT to add to the density in the front, and touch up some other areas on my scalp.

But my confidence is getting close to that of when I was in my early 30's...which is kind of dangerous. I have been going on a decent number of dates with girls much younger (I look young for my age though...mid 40's). And yes, life isn't all about dates and girls. I am older and wiser than I was in my 30's. But the new hair doesn't hurt either :D

IMG_7057.jpg.9be3abd4c64c5a482e0a42da8f366576.jpg

IMG_7055.jpg.8e1818eeed6937819acbd797c6fa4743.jpg

5b32e99e17c92_IMG_7092(1).jpg.623e38b85f54b0617b8f295596ab25b1.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg.d4e13da44272808bba5e53924a9e3a81.jpg

IMG_7072.jpg.3c40c675234320619c86bfc207ca9242.jpg

Hello hair peeps,

I've been terrible at updating this, but it's because things are good...not bad. I will also be giving my opinion on the difference between pictures of people's hair on the Internet and what it looks like when you're looking at your hair transplant inches away from your scalp in the mirror :)

The pics I am adding are from a few months back.

The pics from the back of my head are after my first haircut in the beginning of October. They are to show no sign of the scar and I had the person use a 6 guard. Also, the back of my head looks fantastic considering Dr. Konior only used 10% coverage (1100 grafts over a decent sized area).

The front pics are super-close, and show that you can still see a little scalp. This is a function of the coverage Dr. Konior had to do with 2700 grafts. He stated at the time it would be 25% coverage. Also keep in mind, this is only 5 1/2 months after surgery for the front.

When you're not that close to the hair, it blends pretty well. I will post some more pics soon of my hair now, which is now 7 months after surgery. Things are looking really good. Even got a compliment today that things look great...and it was from someone at work who knows I had the surgery (only a handful of people do).

So, am I happy with the results? Yes. However, I can't say completely...but that has nothing to do with Dr. Konior. It has to do with the amount of grafts used to cover a large area of diffuse thinning. When I am looking at my scalp from two inches away in the mirror, I can tell the grafts aren't as close together as native hair would be. The only way to fix this would be to add more grafts, and Dr. Konior would be the first doctor I would see to do this. The other thing I don't like, is that under harsh direct sunlight, I can still see my scalp in the front. This may get rectified a little as the hair continues to mature over the next 5 months.

From a foot away, my hair looks great. That is what the last picture shows.

So, to summarize. I couldn't be happier. If my hair stayed like this, I would be happy. At the same time, if I am going to nit-pick, I would go back and get another HT to add to the density in the front, and touch up some other areas on my scalp.

But my confidence is getting close to that of when I was in my early 30's...which is kind of dangerous. I have been going on a decent number of dates with girls much younger (I look young for my age though...mid 40's). And yes, life isn't all about dates and girls. I am older and wiser than I was in my 30's. But the new hair doesn't hurt either :D

Looks great man - congrats!

I'm 44 myself and only 5 weeks post op, but looking forward to the future...:-)

Looks great! Btw I can appreciate why you decided to caveat each statement to such a degree---the verbal onslaught always feel just a comment or two away ;)

You're only halfway there and it looks fantastic. You might see even better results in the months leading up to the 12 month mark.

I hope your words resonate amongst the group here. You are very aware and cognizant of expectations even with early returns. You seem cautiousy optimistic w/o driving yourself too crazy either. Helps to have Konior in your corner too.

Looks great! Btw I can appreciate why you decided to caveat each statement to such a degree---the verbal onslaught always feel just a comment or two away ;)

You're only halfway there and it looks fantastic. You might see even better results in the months leading up to the 12 month mark.

I hope your words resonate amongst the group here. You are very aware and cognizant of expectations even with early returns. You seem cautiousy optimistic w/o driving yourself too crazy either. Helps to have Konior in your corner too.

I am just trying to keep things honest, from the hair bump in the early going to how things look now. I also have a keen eye, so maybe I notice things others wouldn't care about or notice.

But yes, Dr. Konior is great and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Just got a second hair cut, and things look even better than the first one...and we're right at 7 months. In regards to the crown, it isn't "perfect"...but man, for only 1100 grafts, I couldn't be happier. It's the magical work of Dr. Konior plus the Propecia and Rogaine.

At the end of January (1 year on), I will be reducing my dosage of Propecia to a maintenance level (twice a week or so)...I do notice a decrease in my libido, but nothing Earth shattering.

I'll post up new pics, hopefully this week.

• Administrators

Looks good man, fellow Californian myself, from the pictures it looks like the hairs still need to mature, I reckon once they mature the density will look way better.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Looks real good! Remember, you said you were keeping your hair 3 inches just to get something similar before....and your hair is, what, maybe an inch and a half now? In your pre-pics....you could tell you were covering it up pretty bad...whereas now, it's your actual hairline.