Incredibly frustrating experience - Matt Zupan/Dr. Shapiro

ash1983

I spoke with Dr. Paul Shapiro, and he acknowledged that the hair growth after transplant is not even close to uniform (contrary to claims made earlier by Matt Zupan) and that further treatment/transplant is required.

I will keep updating this thread with my future treatment expenses/progress. If anyone out there can benefit from my case, please share your experiences.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have before and after pictures of the crown? I find it hard to believe that somebody can lose crown hair on dutasteride. I hope you will be able to post the photos so we can see what you mean.

Hello, I hope the clinic answers this question.

• 1 month later...

KO,

I don't think losing crown density on dutasteride is inconceivable. Preventive treatments like finasteride and dutasteride ideally halt and reverse thinning, but some do report more of a "slowing" effect. I'm not saying it's what happened here. Just saying it wouldn't be unheard of.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I understand that it is possible, however, dutasteride is potent, and I am just asking them to post evidence of thinning, rather than simply announcing that it is so. Given that the patient himself questions this, I think it is reasonable to ask them to show before and after shots.

• 1 month later...

Here are pictures for a 10 month post op update... and I am still not experiencing any hair growth... These pictures were taken with an inch and a half long hair on my head, so please adjust for that...

Given that I still have the same bald patches as those in post op pictures taken after 6 months, not sure what my options are...

hair1.jpg.64847c25a13006f3d5ca8ce1bf2b3e7e.jpg

hair2.jpg.51523453b7e60e11822542a6c5dff4a7.jpg

hair3.jpg.69aa78cf2a4ff54a5d6862fd7842049b.jpg

hair4.jpg.89b48ddbb6311d76537c9fed5ea3f490.jpg

Edited by ash1983

Didn't the doctor agree that it didn't look like it was going to turn out and further surgery would be required?

Do you plan on working with the clinic to correct things?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Ash,

Sorry to hear of your struggles since the procedure, have you approached the clinic to obtain the pre op photos or possibly SMG can chime in on your behalf for us to all see? Would be great to view, at the end of the day your current situation would be very frustrating given everything involved. I have dealt with Matt once or twice in the past via phone only, he seemed to be a genuine guy that does want to help, and he is quite passionate about the industry. I am sure SMG will try to support through this period mate.

To note the possibility of loss within a short time frame using DUT, well...it is possible, highly possible. There have been reported cases over at HLH of this phenomenon, a close friend of mine whom if recommended get on DUT following a failure 3 years of FIN use also had rapid hair loss after 12 months. This could happen with any medication though. Everything was fine prior, it was just his body’s reaction; obviously this is not a common occurrence and in no way am I validating this have happened to you.

Really, the pre ops pics will be the breaker here my man.

Did you take any photos even a week or two following?

Cheers,

Mike.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

2. Then, once I ask if I should use Minoxidil (Rogaine) to stimulate hair growth, he starts blaming me for not using Minoxidil from right after the surgery, and Matt mentions that the handout/videos state that using Minoxidil is mandatory.

What is the purpose of getting a HT if I have to continue using minoxidil? The reason I am looking into HT is to stop using meds myself.

Many people i know have had a HT , just becos they get fed up from the Medications ( Propecia / Rogaine ) , and I can vouch for them that after their HT ... None have taken any Medicines , YET have superlative Results , its wrong to say that becos rogaine was NOT used hence the Procedure Failed , I do not Buy that argument !!!

What is the purpose of getting a HT if I have to continue using minoxidil? The reason I am looking into HT is to stop using meds myself.

When the demand supply issue will be solved (which can only happen through hair cloning/multiplication) then and only the meds will stop playing a huge role in the success of a hair transplant.

If you started balding before your 30's in a NW6 pattern meds are more essential to your hair restoration effort than hair transplants.

Edited by Number47

I spoke with Dr. Paul Shapiro, and he acknowledged that the hair growth after transplant is not even close to uniform (contrary to claims made earlier by Matt Zupan) and that further treatment/transplant is required.

I will keep updating this thread with my future treatment expenses/progress. If anyone out there can benefit from my case, please share your experiences.

Keep us updated i hope it all goes well

Results can take 18 months..

Enough with this. I've been here 10 years. They can give you all the 12-to-18-month garbage they want, but if you're not happy after seven months, chances are you're not going to be happy.

That's the story that's played out over and over on these boards.

The 12-to-18-month line is used as a device to calm the patient down, to allow more time to go by, and to hope that it damps the patient's anger.

Enough with this. I've been here 10 years. They can give you all the 12-to-18-month garbage they want, but if you're not happy after seven months, chances are you're not going to be happy.

That's the story that's played out over and over on these boards.

The 12-to-18-month line is used as a device to calm the patient down, to allow more time to go by, and to hope that it damps the patient's anger.

Well thanks for paraphrasing my original comment. You are clearly an expert because you have looked at a forum for ten years. And when you say "they can give you the 12-18 month garbage", who are you referring to? If you actually read my original comment you will see that I HAVE SEEN those examples. I think you are total misinformed if you think that the results at 7 months will be identical to those at over a year. But i guess you are correct and all the top surgeons conspire to lie to us?

This thread is quite in depth.

Let us keep it civilised here though, we are all fighting the same battle guys.

So many good points, the 12-18 months is particularly interesting, I myself was at a turning point at the 12 month mark in which my result further matured up to roughly 14-16 months not so much 18 though.

There was a significant change in the physiology of the grafts and that is a definite.

I will add that my result was quite good from the 5 month point in that I could easily style etc, so assuming I am an early responder this is not a typical result as many will be forced to wait out the doldrums phase longer.

Yes 7 months is too early to tell.

Are your concerns invalid, definitely not.

I do hope there is light at the end of this thread, I only wish for a great result/ outcome for you mate!

Mike.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Well thanks for paraphrasing my original comment.

How did I misrepresent what you said?

You are clearly an expert because you have looked at a forum for ten years.

I'd say being on the forums for 10 years implies a fair degree of experience, given that I've seen thousands of transplants play out over that time-----to say nothing of the ones I've seen in person.

And when you say "they can give you the 12-18 month garbage", who are you referring to?

The hair-transplant industry.

I think you are total misinformed if you think that the results at 7 months will be identical to those at over a year.

That's not what I said. What I said was that if a patient isn't happy at seven months, it's unlikely he'll ever be happy with the outcome. The best results are precocious.

But i guess you are correct and all the top surgeons conspire to lie to us?

Well, it's not a conspiracy, but yes, the hair-transplant industry as a whole is absolutely dedicated to lying. It has been for years. It's one of the most deceptive, dishonest industries going. Now there are exceptions, but on the whole, its historical reputation ranks alongside used-car salesmen and cold-calling stock brokers.

Edited by Shadow of the EMpire State

Well, it's not a "conspiracy," but, yes, the hair-transplant industry as a whole is absolutely dedicated to lying. It has been for years. It's one of the most deceptive, dishonest industries going. Now there are exceptions, but on the whole, its historical reputation ranks alongside used-car salesmen and cold-calling stock brokers.

To be honest with u it pisses me off being lied to when u actually allowed someone the privilege to work on u. I cant see how someone would everr allow the "doctor" to perform work again on u if u know they lied to u prior.

I agree there are exceptions to this because I do think there are some out there that actually care and have integrity.

I think the majority of the top doctor's results are a testament to what the hair transplant industry had become. is a science and an art and I feel like it's some of the best "plastic" surgery available today.

I believe SMG will stand behind their work and do their best to fix this. It sounds like the doctor and the pt are talking here but we haven't heard anything yet, maybe it will get posted.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.