Failed hair transplant with Dr Rahal

I had a hair transplant with Dr Rahal. Unfortunately, as things stand, it has not been a pleasant experience with less than optimal growth at 8 months.

The right side is poor. I am in discussions with Dr Rahal about how to rectify this. Ine of the options put forward by Dr Rahal will be 2 have a second procedure. I am not sure at the moment I am ready to have another procedure as I need to see out the current situation. Even if Dr Rahal does the procedure, I will be nervous about how it will turn out.

As it stands I am disappointed with my results and a bit upset. Dr Rahal has agreed to resolve this.

Edited by Follically-Challenged

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a glance I'd say that does look like around 2700 grafts. My guess is when he transplanted grafts himself at the end he was putting on the finishing touch.

I agree your growth is subpar for 8 months. That's typically what people look like 3-4 months in, not 8. If I was you I would also be extremely upset and concerned. However, as hard as it is to believe you may still have significant growth to come. So try to remain calm until you get closer to the 1 year mark.

I agree with rootz. Most grafts by now should have appeared. For a small area such as yours 2700 grafts were enough. My loss was very similar to yours and I only had 2400 which covered my bald areas. Give it to the full year to assess it.

Is this a strip case? Or fue?

Think this is FUT as he states in another thread of being "opened" again

It was FUT which makes it even more difficult to accept.

I am convinced that even 1 year mark will not much improvement.

Usually Rahal strip cases are top-notch. It is a concern to hear the standards are dropping...The intermediate post op pics showing the grafts look good. Seems like some grafts didn't survive

He is getting too arrogant for his own good and seems to be living on past reputation despite employing amateur technicians.

If I could sue his ass I would but they make you sign a raft of paperwork to cover themselves.

He is a crook.

Have you been in touch with Dr Rahal. I find the best practice is always to contact the surgeon for concerns. I am such he will accommodate you

I have contacted him and I am due to speak to him for the first time in 8 months. I know what he is going to say. We will give you a free touch.

My answer will be f*ck you. Why in God's name do I want to go back to a surgeon who just butchered me.

If Dr Rahal can offer a free strip then maybe you should go ahead? It does seem some grafts haven't grown. Taking in account how your hair was before and the way they are now; there is a slight improvement but that could be because the hair is longer. Maybe filling in the areas would be beneficial. How did your strip scar turn out?

I dont know. I have not had my hair that short to see how it turned out. I am now bricking it on that front as well.

I would say speak to Dr Rahal and ask if its possible to try FUE this time. And you can try repairing the scar via FUE. If another strip puts you off, then FUE is an good option

Follically-Challenged,

I'm truly sorry that your results have not met your expectations and I know first-hand what that feels like as I had a similar experience with my first hair transplant. However, though I ended up having a second procedure to add density and slightly lower my hairline, I can honestly say that I saw significant changes between 8 and 10 months post-op.

To me, the immediate post-op pic appears as I would expect in terms of grafts placement and number of grafts. I agree that the growth looks a little sparse for this time but, the truth is that you are still a bit early in your progress and really need to wait out the full 12 months before making an assessment. The average patient will see about 75% of the final result by month 8.

Please don't feel that I'm dismissing your feelings. Hair transplant surgery and the long healing and growth time is a stressful period for most of us. From reading your post I see that you suspected poor growth at only 4 months. Growth only begins between the third and fourth month. Early in that time frame for some and later for others. Try to remain calm and wait for your one year results. If your results are truly subpar at that time, I have no doubt that Dr. Rahal will work with you to rectify the situation to your satisfaction. Yes, grafts are a non-renewable resource but, when hair transplants fail to meet our expectations, we need to figure out how we'll move forward and find the best outcome possible.

As they say, no doctor hits a home run every time. But, I have the utmost confidence in Dr. Rahal. I know that he works diligently to maintain his excellent reputation and it is well-deserved.

I will contact Dr. Rahal and make him aware of your concerns and also ask him to respond to this thread. Please be aware that he may not wish to comment publicly until speaking to you and receiving written permission to do so. Thus, I highly recommend reaching out to his clinic and sharing your concerns personally.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Just my opinion, but I think your hair looks good. It's a little tough to tell as you haven't groomed your hair in the "after" pics, but it is a very respectable look. I'd like to see your hair cut shorter and I think I could give a better observation. I know nothing about your surgery or post care, but it seems as though you're being a little rough on your doctor at this point. You haven't had any communication with him, no questions, no discussion about results……….I'd give him a chance to evaluate your results and provide a recommendation before attempting to bad mouth him on this forum when it appears as though he hasn't done anything to deserve your attack. He hasn't ignored calls, hasn't lied or misrepresented anything………all I'm saving is that I'd give the guy a chance to evaluate your results and you have a conversation with him regarding your expectations.

Good luck in your evaluation and I hope it works out. And your hair looks good.

I'd be concerned to if I were in the same situation as yourself, considering the result thus far is equivalent to what I experienced around 4-5 months post OP. Might I add that I also had my surgery with Dr. Rahal. 2300 grafts for a NW2, but planted for a NW3....an advanced approach for future loss.

Id give it another shot and if it doesn't work then i'd move on

His work is top notch IMO..I'm 8 months post OP(same as yourself) (October 28th surgery) and I'm blowwwn away by the results :)

I'd be concerned to if I were in the same situation as yourself, considering the result thus far is equivalent to what I experienced around 4-5 months post OP. Might I add that I also had my surgery with Dr. Rahal. 2300 grafts for a NW2, but planted for a NW3....an advanced approach for future loss.

Id give it another shot and if it doesn't work then i'd move on

His work is top notch IMO..I'm 8 months post OP(same as yourself) (October 28th surgery) and I'm blowwwn away by the results :)

Why would I give it another shot? He has just wasted 2,700 grafts. I have a limited amount of grafts. Can I trust him to screw up precious grafts?

This is the worst result I have ever seen posted by a Dr. Rahal patient. Sorry for your experience. I htink if you do not want to go for another procedure that you deserve a refund of at least 75% bc it looks as if only 25% has grown, if that. Sorry man.

I don't think 25% has grown. That's outrageous.

It looks like there are grafts that have not grown in but this is far from a failure.

Dr. Rahal is world class and he will accommodate you and your concerns.

How do I know?

Well, I had a touch up with Dr. Rahal because I trust him and I am glad I did.

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

FC - Were you on meds prior and after surgery? Rogaine?

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

Sorry for the OP here that results are not working out.

This is why personally FUE would be the only option for me. If things dont work out you still have the option of buzzing down short with no scar and forgetting bout HT's.

I will also say to the poster that bad results happen a lot more than you ever read online so do not think you are just the 'one off' or very 'unlucky one'.

The bad results dont appear online for lots of reasons. Mainly due to people needing repairs and touch ups and dont want to rock the boat.

The good results posted online are the selection of 'show case' results but are not neccesarily the norm.

If you have the money i would go to Dr Lorenzo for a repair and FUE only. DO NOT put any more strip scars on your head. You could even be able to FUE in to your scars now.

Good luck with it.

A few things here. First, calling Rahal a crook and setting such a negative thread is really unfair to Rahal as you have not even spoken to him yet. Nothing he has done to you has been unethical and seems to have been standard protocol. A protocol that has yielded fantastic results for many many patients. I think your results so far are of lesser than desirable yield but far from a failure. Plus you have 4 more months to go. I will say that I agree that Rahal should spend more time in the operating room. I dont think this ultimately impacted yours or anyone elses results but it would give the patient more comfort in knowing the doc is present.

Rahal is top notch so I think I speak for many on here that for now, I am remaining neutral on this because there is no evidence to suggest this was his fault and not your physiology.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

A few things here. First, calling Rahal a crook and setting such a negative thread is really unfair to Rahal as you have not even spoken to him yet. Nothing he has done to you has been unethical and seems to have been standard protocol. A protocol that has yielded fantastic results for many many patients. I think your results so far are of lesser than desirable yield but far from a failure. Plus you have 4 more months to go. I will say that I agree that Rahal should spend more time in the operating room. I dont think this ultimately impacted yours or anyone elses results but it would give the patient more comfort in knowing the doc is present.

Rahal is top notch so I think I speak for many on here that for now, I am remaining neutral on this because there is no evidence to suggest this was his fault and not your physiology.

Hey, Can't Decide, it is a bit worrying that people are now acknowledging that "Rahal should spend more time in the operating room". I am sure such sentiment is going to put a lot of people off him, and in fact now that I know this, I would not have a transplant with him. I agree with you that patients will feel a lot more comfortable with the doc being present (especially given how much Rahal charges), but if he is spending less and less time with patients, that could be a reason for the decline in some of the results reported here recently. You state you do not think Rahal spending less time in the operating room impacted on the OP's results, but how do you know? Surely if he was more hands on and was overseeing more of the work his techs are doing, there would be greater quality assurance? I agree with the rest of what you say, however, in regards to the OP contacting the doctor direct before criticising him on a public forum.

So you paid for a HT with Rahal - but you actually got a HT by some inexperienced assistants..

False advertising, no?

I only paid 1 euro per graft with Dr demirsoy, and he extracted grafts and made the slits!

Unless the surgeon is removing grafts and making the slits - i dont see how these surgeons can advertise themselves as Dr ****** when infact, its a couple of assistants doing it all. These Dr's names are just like a brand name really.