H&W NuYuInk© SMP Result - Shaved Effect

This client came to Hasson & Wong to inquire about surgery but unfortunately his hair loss was far greater than what his limited donor supply could provide. However, he then decided to give our NuYuInk© procedure a try and wound up having two sessions for the result you see below.

The client is young so he wanted something aggressive with a "sculpted" appearance which is popular in the hip-hop scene. The great thing is that as he gets older and his tastes change then he will be able to alter his hairline for a more graduated increase in density and/or with more recession. This is only possible with temporary SMP.

19609_ffd33c_ed93b3.jpg

19615_3f7d5e_773b87.jpg

19620_ac1d20_1a48af.jpg

19625_c974e7_a9c1e1.jpg

19630_156f57_aaf26c.jpg

19635_eff91b_4d7471.jpg

19638_4bcc61_75a2a6.jpg

19641_26ff35_12488f.jpg

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for sharing, Joe! This is a great outcome given the look the patient was hoping to achieve. Nice "hairline" design, so to speak!!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Just out of curiosity. What was his donor density/cm2 and laxity?

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Hi Joe,

I almost never, ever, ever think about questioning your before and afters as they are some of the best in the business if not the standard bearer. But why are some of the direct comparisons different shades? You can definitely tell--look at the blue background and they don't match up, nor does the patient's skin tone in some. This minor difference could make a big difference when looking at temporary SMP, as it could make it look fuller.

Just sayin'....say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so!

Davis,

If we used a flash on our photos like everyone else does then our backgrounds would be identical as would the skin tones because flash makes everything the same but unfortunately it changes what the result really looks like. After photos are not taken ten seconds after before photos so you have to factor in differences in distance, focal length as well as the obvious differences in the time of day since we don't have a studio.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Davis,

If we used a flash on our photos like everyone else does then our backgrounds would be identical as would the skin tones because flash makes everything the same.

Hi Joe,

I don't have the same experience with flash because our backgrounds and skin tones are not all the same when flash is used. We also do not have a photo studio but an office with a large window so it's almost impossible with flash or no flash to produce exact same shades and tones. This is even true for the same round of pictures taken at the same time. If you look closely at all the before pictures in this result, each shade of the background is slightly off. There's a bigger difference between the two days but know what I mean. You can try to minimize the variables that go into each shot, but you can only do so much whether flash is used or not. Just my opinion.

This is a nice SMP result that I'm sure he's happy with but I have to say my initial reaction was "wow, that's an aggressive hairline", then it's "okay, it's only temporary". You're right, it's only possible to enjoy a young hairline with his aggressive hairloss with the temporary technique. I like the new trademark name, it's somewhat Jotronic'ish. Did you come up with the name?

Janna,

Good to hear from you. It is impossible for all photos to be consistent 100%. When I said flash makes everything the same I was perhaps oversimplifying it but flash does make before/afters more consistent than without flash. Regarding this result, I think the before/after is pretty close and personally I'm very happy with the consistency. I don't even know why Davis asked about, lol!

Regarding this SMP result, I get the same reaction from everyone I show it to, "WOW!" :) It works for the patient because he is very young, barely over 20 years old and he is a professional model so a mature hairline would not have worked for him, personally or professionally.

"Jotronicish"??? I never knew such a thing existed, lol! But yes, I did come up with the name. Glad you like it! If you are going to be in San Fran for the meeting lets grab a beer:)

Edited by Jotronic

Hairthere,

Thanks man. No, the after pics were taken a few weeks later I believe. Not sure exactly how long but it certainly was not right after round two. Oh, and it was with the new machine. You might not know what I'm referring to since you started out with it but Janna knows what I'm talking about.

"the after pics were taken a few weeks later I believe."

Yes, that seems to be the key with getting great after SMP pics, too. Immediate-after pics are tough because the skin is either too red from the work being done, or too white from the red ice application.

Btw, we do have a room that has no natural light and I agree it's almost impossible to get the exact same shading/tones.

I might give you a ring tomorrow if you're around with a few questions....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hi Joe,

I think I only asked because even if I have a really good or a fundamentally flawed assumption/question, I know you will give a straight answer either way.

Also, I always wanted to use the line "say it an't so Joe!" with you. :)

Happy to see a new SMP result.

Joe- do you know how close this patient buzzes down (no guard/1 guard/2 guard, etc.)?

Hard to tell from the pics but it appears in some that the actual hair is longer then the smp in some areas so i was curios, thanks.

Hairthere-can you pm when you have a chance I have some questions for you as I'm a New Yorker. Thanks.

Also, I always wanted to use the line "say it an't so Joe!" with you. :)

Hahaha! That made me laugh!!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Thanks for the post, but I am not gonna be kind, and I hope it is for a good cause.

Are you guys serious? This is NOT good!!!

It looks unnatural. Hairline looks noticeably fake, but temples look like a stencil set has been used and he was spray painted!

You guys should be discussing where this went wrong and why.

Any one want to offer a suggestion as to why! I don't want to be the resident b#%^h in theSMP section, but I am sure there are some good posters out there who have a good suggestion or two, and will back me up by being constructive and pointing out the shortcomings which are on display here!

Of course the Milena guys will congratulate each other because they have an agenda, but we can lift the standard of the forum by respectfully pointing out where this guy went very wrong.

It looks unnatural. Hairline looks noticeably fake, but temples look like a stencil set has been used and he was spray painted

I was thinking the same thing. The lines are too hard to be real. I'm not sure that this effect would work in the real world. People might be looking to see if something's "not quite right".

Maybe I'm wrong... just my first impressions.

Looks great Joe!!! Your technician or nurse was really trained well at Beauty Medical. Professional work for real. Doesn't look like a tatoo at all. Now I dont need to worry a lot about my donor in the future. Temporary SMP is the answer. Please post some scar work Joe, Plssss.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I think many of you are actually having a difficult time understanding what Smp is,to me smp is a better situation then the current one.

Lets take the op's pic for example,has barely no hair on the top of his head however what smp has allowed him is some sort of freedom from being bald,is it perfect?no but does it look 100 times better then being bald?the answer is yes.

Some of you who are attacking the results are not in the op's shoes,he went from being a nw6 to someone who could get away with the stubble look,does he still look like he's balding or thinning? Yes but it looks way better then before.

smp has given me my confidence back,I know it's not real hair but an illusion..guess what? I'm okay with that.

...he went from being a nw6 to someone who could get away with the stubble look,t.

IMO, he went from being a nobody, a completely unnoticeable, natural NW6 (and that sucks, no doubt) to being diabolical. A real danger exists ever time this guy comes close to other balding guys ( they have super-fine and ultra tuned senses for these things) and near bright lights.

It will get better, and so it should, as he fades, and it is repairable, but you guys congratulating him ( for your business agenda) is appalling!! , at least for me!, (Although, it is not unexpected on a commercial forum)

Now, I will attempt to state where he could and would be better off, so hopefully, you guys start getting it right.

Let's start with the before picture, and the left side, from above the ear to the temple.

1) Notice how it fades, not linearly, but across a distinct zone from the upper ear area, with some vagueness at its outer border, to the miniaturized area which is significantly softer. Moving towards the face, this area, in turn, fades and gently tapers into natural skin tone at what is left of the receded left temple.

What you want to do is replicate that softness, except move it, rotate it on an imaginary pivot just where his ear is, and swing it all forward, then scale the proportions back so the miniaturized zone is say, 20% of the area from temple to ear, instead of 50%.

But where is the miniaturized zone? Nowhere!! You have simply block-painted him to the edge.

It is a disastrous course to follow, and all SMP wannabe guys should be aware of it, practicians should know how to deal with it (and I don't just mean by sweet talking the poor customer, who are butter in their hands, let's be honest) and we should all know why and how it contributes to the unnaturalness.

Now does anyone wanna offer suggestions for hairline?

P.S.

I think SMP can help and have tried it since 2003 with limited success and some stunning mishaps.

Edited by scar5
Predictive text is a biaaatch! Sometimes.

Some of you who are attacking the results are not in the op's shoes,he went from being a nw6 to someone who could get away with the stubble look,does he still look like he's balding or thinning? Yes but it looks way better then before.
Yes if the OP is happy then I'm happy for him. I wasn't trying attack the procedure, just giving my honest opinion on the photos I saw. At times some constructive criticism is a helpful part of this site, it promotes thought. Again if the OP is happy, then great. That's what matters most. Edited by MAGNUMpi

I'm glad this discussion is continuing if only to show how different people perceive reality.

Unfortunately some people mistakenly think that everyone that has lighter skin is Caucasian with Irish lineage and that every hairline should be like a soft, feathery field of dandelions. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The abrupt nature of the hairline was his idea because he wanted to replicate the "shaped" hairline that some younger African American and Middle Eastern men have. This is a technique carried out with a razor where the hairline is shaped to be clean, tight and without irregularity. To have such irregularities would look sloppy in the eyes of this client. In some cultures outside of North America even beards are meticulously groomed to be "perfect" in shape and length. This is similar.

Ultimately, this is not a hairline for everyone and I would actually discourage it for most clients, especially the typical whitebread Caucasian of any age. On the forums every image is scrutinized to death and I knew I'd get a few Monday morning quarterbacks that have no context on why this result is what it is but in the real world anyone that sees this guy not only is oblivious to anything being unnatural they believe he is shaving his full head of hair. I know because he actually makes his living on his looks. If it were anything less than natural in appearance his career would be over. It's as simple as that.

Jo,

He looks unnatural, surely you don't need to think about it. It is plain to see and it's immediately obvious.

Secondly, I confess, I am perplexed as to why SMP places keep churning out these stencil heads, with the remit that the 'patient asked for it that way' .. 'They like hip-hop' etc..

Something is up there? The SMP guys have to get better and fast.