My FUT today with Dr. Paul Shaprio

Thank you so much for the message. I do agree with you and I am actually, as I have been saying, really appreciating the hairline they gave me. When I first got out of it, I was like, "OMG I'M STILL BALD" but with a little creativity, I am starting to see that I actually really like it, and it leaves me with more options for the future. I really wish I could just wake up in 10 months and see it at this point!! Arghh. 3 days post op is killing me! Not the pain, but the anxiety!!

Aha, I remember saying the exact same thing - wishing I could sleep for a year. Y'know, it hasn't been quite THAT fast......but it's certainly gone a lot faster than I thought.

You're right, if there's something you want to address later down the road then you can. The new hairline can be added to later if you want. I'm very happy with the semi circular conservative hairline I have now that it's growing in. I'm sure you will too!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just surpassed my two week hairnaversary. As expected, my little hairs are starting to shed, albeit a little earlier than I expected; I started to lose quite a few after the first week. I was going to wait until I got back to Europe to share with my real life friends my hair transplant, but I was so excited that I told pretty much everybody who was willing to listen. Later today, I will post my 15 day post-op photos. I look forward to reading your guys' comments.

Nick

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

I agree with Tommy, when the hair grows out, it will seem that your hairline moves forward because of the angle of the implantation. When my hairline was planted, I thought it was pretty conservative, but now that it has grown out it seems that move forward a cm or two. Obviously it hasn't, but the density and hair direction will give you something extra.

Also, for your age, I think it was the only way to go, as far as your hairline placement. At 24, there is a possibility you could end up a NW7. Depending on your reaction to meds, maybe even a probability. There was no alternative at this point but to transplant you as if you were a very high NW. I think that was a responsible decision.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Nick,

Just looked through your pre-op and post op pics -

I have to say the immediate post op pics look beautiful. You got a lot of area covered for 3300 grafts. You can always bring the hairline down lower in the future if the progression of hairloss slows and you have pleny of donor but it's difficult to undue a low hair line. I'm glad you agree with Dr. Paul's design and plan. I think he made a wise choice too. :)

My apologies to those who are following my progress. I told you that I was going to post pictures last week, but I got sick and was working crazy hours. So here are my 19 days post op photos. Let me know what you think.

I have done quite a bit of shedding already and am losing hair faster than I've ever lost it before.

100_2226.jpg.69bcd313cdbb6a88eeb4e0022fd15cab.jpg

100_2227.jpg.429757d86d1fc4a6cd1253189ca8cfc7.jpg

100_2228.jpg.c0a3de52e1f1702ee70b0011c6507598.jpg

100_2230.jpg.fee7e66335be10c193a6f0310328186f.jpg

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

No worries. You are dealing with shedding and shock loss. The loss is a little faster than normal, but not crazy early. Did you run a high fever? The first 2 weeks is where it's at as far as post is concerned, so it's just sitting and waiting now.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Umm, I don't think I had a "high" fever. It is mostly a cold. I'm getting a little nervous that my shock loss is going to be extensive. Would a fever at day 14+ have an effect on results?

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

I really don't think so. Unless it was like 106 and you were in the hospital I wouldn't sweat it. It may bother me a little at day 4 but at day 14 you should be vascularized and ready to go in the recipient area.

I am not a doctor, so maybe a surgeon could weigh in or give your clinic a call just to put your mind at ease.

View Spanker's Website

:-| I may have to give SMG a call. I really just hope that the native hair comes back where it was actually semi-dense. I'm just panicy about everything haha.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

My apologies to those who are following my progress. I told you that I was going to post pictures last week, but I got sick and was working crazy hours. So here are my 19 days post op photos. Let me know what you think.

I have done quite a bit of shedding already and am losing hair faster than I've ever lost it before.

Great that there is no redness. You just look like guy with a bad haircut!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Great that there is no redness. You just look like guy with a bad haircut!

Yeah. Do people who have earlier shedding tend to have earlier regrowth too? Or is there no correlation and it's all just a random process?

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Yeah. Do people who have earlier shedding tend to have earlier regrowth too? Or is there no correlation and it's all just a random process?

No idea but I'll be returning to Rogaine a week or two after to try to stimulate early growth

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 2 weeks later...
You should grow a mustache and pretend to be an old guy during your ugly duckling stage that way you can age in reverse as it grows in. :D

Ohh boy, that would be bad. I just got a buzz today, so I'll upload pictures when I get my new camera on Friday. But I won't be sporting a stache. I want to look youthful :D, that's why I underwent surgery

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

You should grow a mustache and pretend to be an old guy during your ugly duckling stage that way you can age in reverse as it grows in. :D

Thanks for the laugh KO!! :D That's a great idea, Nick.....plenty of time to look youthful when your hair grows in over the next several months.......not too much time to play the part of a creeper.......hahaha!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Lol, I've played the "pedophile" look for too long (that's literally how people describe my look). I'm ready for a change. I'm not going from Pedophile look to creeper look

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Lol, I've played the "pedophile" look for too long (that's literally how people describe my look). I'm ready for a change. I'm not going from Pedophile look to creeper look

That is messed up man. Classic example of the stigma on balding people.

View Spanker's Website

I haven't been ignoring my progress, I just really don't think that updates area really worthy of the time. I'm currently on 6 weeks post-op, and have lost all of the hair transplanted about 3 weeks ago. My native hair seems to be sticking in their quite well actually, I'm hoping that the hair that is there is there to stay, but I can't guarantee that will be the case. However, if it is, I believe I can pull off, with future transplants a full set of hair.

One thing that has been bothering me recently was the fact that I wish I would have gone for a mega-mega session (about 4000-4500 grafts), to give my hair a really good look. I am not really confident that the 3222 grafts that I had (7018 hairs): 536 (single), 1651 (double), 961 (triple), 74 (quadruple). This is the photo that I received from Janna (very promptly I may add (thanks Janna), of where these grafts were placed. I am just very unsure as to weather or not these numbers are going to really give me what I was hoping to achieve, or if I am going to have to go through another round, and wait an additional year to achieve them. I don't blame anybody but my self, as it was my decision based on my budget, but I am thinking now that I should have bit the bullet and went for more. Any thoughts?

5b32d959987fd_Hairplan.jpg.f55dd09ab88cc753dee18affdfebfdd9.jpg

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Nick-

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what that many grafts with a skilled surgeon like Dr Shapiro is going to do for you. Still early days. And.....it sounds like you would need a second procedure anyway to obtain the final results you're looking for. You can always get extra grafts then?!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Yes, I know I was always going to need a second procedure, however, I'm not entirely sure that the amount of grafts is going to get me what I was hoping to obtain through round 1. It is still early, and hopefully I'm entirely wrong, but that's the impression I am getting.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

don't dwell on the graft numbers , your session is enough to provide a solid result, if you go for round 2 , to hit the crown , you can touch up the front, but once it grows in your going to be one happy camper.